Cooling New ID-Cooling IS-55 CPU Cooler Testing & Comparison to Thermalright AXP120-X67 & Noctua L12 GE Coolers

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Received the Thermalright AMD AM4 cooler mounting kit today. Forget it. It will not work on the new coolers such as the AXP-X67 or the Silver Soul 135. The angle of the mounting bars is different so the mounting bar posts are not the same distance from the center of the CPU - and just as bad - the threading on the posts is not the same as the threads on the newer coolers mounting screws.
That's a pity. I've ordered a

Noctua NM-AM5/4-MP78​

I wanted one anyway for my L12S and I'll try it on a AXP120-X67, it's damn close to the hole spacing on the mounting bar.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Received the Thermalright AMD AM4 cooler mounting kit today. Forget it. It will not work on the new coolers such as the AXP-X67 or the Silver Soul 135. The angle of the mounting bars is different so the mounting bar posts are not the same distance from the center of the CPU - and just as bad - the threading on the posts is not the same as the threads on the newer coolers mounting screws.
Those am4 brackets are for their older CPU coolers. Not their newer ones.

Edit: Pictures to show what I meant earlier.

Thermalright AXP120-x67 Stock AM4 Mounting Bracket --> Mounted cooler

Thermalright AXP120-x67with AM4 Mounting Bracket from Thermalright Single Tower Coolers (in this case, specifically from a Thermalright U120E Black or most modern Thermalright single tower coolers).

Mounting the AXP120 with the alternative brackets isn't any more hassle than the stock ones. Screw threads fit perfectly, mounting pressure is similar, base covers the whole CPU IHS.

It might be due to the RAM height being a major concern if mounted this way, that they didn't want it to be stock option.

Last edited:

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 5, 2020
@Mark13 Did you buy the cooler yourself? If you need an ID Cooling model, let me know.

ID-Cooling have been working on improving their poducts as of late. You can see them aggressively pricing their models, the IS-55 now has the compression spring mounting mechanism, and all coolers now come with backplates.

I am in direct contact with them, so let me know if there's any feedback you like to bring up. A couple more coolers are in the works for us, but I can't disclose it yet.
Please advise them that some of us would be willing to purchase at extra cost a second set of mounting bars to allow the cooler to be rotated 90 degrees.

Reactions: Neathdrawls

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 5, 2020
That's a pity. I've ordered a

Noctua NM-AM5/4-MP78​

I wanted one anyway for my L12S and I'll try it on a AXP120-X67, it's damn close to the hole spacing on the mounting bar.
I think you will find that Noctua mounting bars have slightly larger diameter mounting posts that the Thermalright mounting bars.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Just got my ID Cooling SE-207-XT Slim. It's stock AM4 brackets are the short ones that mount along the breath of the AM4 holes. Technically it should fit the IS-55 in an orientation where the heatpipes are facing the IO/VRM heatsink, which also means the fins will blow upwards. Whole album is here if you are interested.

And it fits.

Perfect RAM clearance in this orientation. Of course, this would mean your VRM heatsinks have to be not ridiculously huge. Just to note, that this is a MATX board, CPU clearance from VRM heatsinks might be different on ITX boards. I don't have a spare ITX AM4 board to test it unfortunately.

Will be mounting the IS-55 in the P-ATX v3 on my 5800X this weekend.

@Thehack if I could trouble you to let ID-Cooling know of this, if they already didn't? I mean, they don't have to provide the bars for all IS-55s, maybe provide users an option to purchase the shorter mounting bars seperately? Much thanks.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Just got my ID Cooling SE-207-XT Slim. It's stock AM4 brackets are the short ones that mount along the breath of the AM4 holes. Technically it should fit the IS-55 in an orientation where the heatpipes are facing the IO/VRM heatsink, which also means the fins will blow upwards. Whole album is here if you are interested.

And it fits.

Perfect RAM clearance in this orientation. Of course, this would mean your VRM heatsinks have to be not ridiculously huge. Just to note, that this is a MATX board, CPU clearance from VRM heatsinks might be different on ITX boards. I don't have a spare ITX AM4 board to test it unfortunately.

Will be mounting the IS-55 in the P-ATX v3 on my 5800X this weekend.

@Thehack if I could trouble you to let ID-Cooling know of this, if they already didn't? I mean, they don't have to provide the bars for all IS-55s, maybe provide users an option to purchase the shorter mounting bars seperately? Much thanks.

it will actually be an all in one bracket that covers LGA, AM4 with two positions.

Josu

Cable Smoosher
Aug 15, 2021
Curious, this one or Big Shuriken 3... I can use both ID cooling with 25mm fan

Last edited:

Tiredme

Efficiency Noob
Nov 25, 2022
@Mark13 Did you buy the cooler yourself? If you need an ID Cooling model, let me know.

ID-Cooling have been working on improving their poducts as of late. You can see them aggressively pricing their models, the IS-55 now has the compression spring mounting mechanism, and all coolers now come with backplates.

I am in direct contact with them, so let me know if there's any feedback you like to bring up. A couple more coolers are in the works for us, but I can't disclose it yet.
Hi, I would like to ask if the RAM height can fit Kingston Fury Beast. The cooler spec is 33mm but I've seen people reporting that Corsiar LPX (34mm) fits too, which the Fury Beast is also 34mm. Thanks

Tiredme

Efficiency Noob
Nov 25, 2022
For Strix B550i and this cooler, I found that by taking off the IO cover the cooler "might" fit with full sized RAM when mounted with IO side, the clearance is very tiny and I don't know if there is any problem with the cooler so close to things like CMOS or the networking part (as well, in the picture the cooler isn't fully attached and still has the plastic film on since I was just test fitting)

Tiredme

Efficiency Noob
Nov 25, 2022
For Strix B550i and this cooler, I found that by taking off the IO cover the cooler "might" fit with full sized RAM when mounted with IO side, the clearance is very tiny and I don't know if there is any problem with the cooler so close to things like CMOS or the networking part (as well, in the picture the cooler isn't fully attached and still has the plastic film on since I was just test fitting)
so I finally got around trying on this orientation for real, and good news is it fits with "okay" room

Reactions: Broxin and Phuncz

richardc300

Case Bender
New User
May 22, 2021
Has anybody mounted this on an ASUS Strix B550-I with heatpipes coming out towards the I/O side, vertical fin orientation, and overhang over RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX)?

puffdotbusiness

Cable Smoosher
Jun 7, 2021
Has anybody mounted this on an ASUS Strix B550-I with heatpipes coming out towards the I/O side, vertical fin orientation, and overhang over RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX)?
I have done this check my reddit post here:

Interestingly the mounting hardware of the two coolers in this thread are compatible. IS55 and AXP120 mounting hardware are interchangeable and allows the IS55 to be turned 90 degrees. The problem with doing this is you need naked RAM dimms which requires the heat spreaders to be removed.

However it is a perfect fit.:

thethinker

Case Bender
New User
Aug 28, 2023
Did you put the 120mm fan with the Noctua on Top or did you swap the original fan? Was it a Push or Pull config?