Cooling ID-Cooling IS-47K 47mm 6-heatpipe cooler with 92x15mm fan - Black Ridge alternative?

mr.squishy

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2019
Your recent source contradicts your claims.
I fail to see that as true, the results seem to be well within margin of error.

That being said, this isn't a thread about either of these coolers; I don't see why we are still arguing about it. If you have a problem with my syntax or my sources, take it up with me in PM's so we don't continue to clog this thread.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

That being said, this isn't a thread about either of these coolers; I don't see why we are still arguing about it. If you have a problem with my syntax or my sources, take it up with me in PM's so we don't continue to clog this thread.

1. I don't think you meant to use "margin of error." Margin of error is for a sampled population with a standard deviation. I believe you're talking about instrument tolerance.

2. I disagree that it is "well within tolerance range." The common tolerance on most decibel meters is +/- 1.5dB. Of course, we're at the mercy of the tester's quality of equipment and testing methodology. 3.5 is not "well within" the 3dB tolerance range, however. If it was 1-2 dB, I would likely agree.

I don't see any reasons why to take this to PM, discussing how we measure performance and compare them in a technical manner is important for improving our knowledge. It is relevant to how we discuss performance of coolers.

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I was simply trying to provide the AXP-90 as an alternative to the is-47K and Black Ridge

i won't get into any technical mumbo-jumbo, but my understanding is that no one considers AXP-90 to be an alternative, due to height issues.

if you have a CryOrig C7 copper & then add a Noctua fan to it, which is required due to noise, height goes to about 49mm.

if you have an AXP-90 & then add a Noctua fan to it, which is required due to noise, height goes to about 51-52mm.

although that seems to be a meaningless difference, most cases being discussed here, can't accommodate a 51-52mm cooler height.

Last edited:

mr.squishy

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2019
i won't get into any technical mumbo-jumbo, but my understanding is that no one considers AXP-90 to be an alternative, due to height issues.

if you have a CryOrig C7 copper & then add a Noctua fan to it, which is required due to noise, height goes to about 49mm.

if you have an AXP-90 & then add a Noctua fan to it, which is required due to noise, height goes to about 52mm.

although that seems to be a meaningless difference, most cases being discussed here, can't accommodate a 52mm cooler height.
You have a source for that? I can't see any mention of that on the thread for the cooler. The fan that comes with it is a 15mm fan, if you replace it with an NF-A9x14 it's the same height.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
The fan that comes with it is a 15mm fan, if you replace it with an NF-A9x14 it's the same height.

unless i have the wrong cooler model, by accident, its well documented on this forum, that its too tall once you swap a Noctua fan.

you can do a search using the forum feature, or just wait for other posters to reply.

i'm sure they'll correct me, if i have the wrong cooler model.

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
You have a source for that? I can't see any mention of that on the thread for the cooler. The fan that comes with it is a 15mm fan, if you replace it with an NF-A9x14 it's the same height.
unless i have the wrong cooler model, by accident, its well documented on this forum, that its too tall once you swap a Noctua fan.

you can do a search using the forum feature, or just wait for other posters to reply.

i'm sure they'll correct me, if i have the wrong cooler model.

For the record, I have an AXP-90 Full Copper and tried both with the stock fan and NF-A9x14 and there are no difference in height. They both fit fine in my DSE Breathe that has 50mm CPU Cooler height with a couple of mm to spare.

EDIT: Pics

Stock fan

Noctua swap

Last edited:

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
can you please clarify height.

CryOrig C7 copper + stock fan = 47mm

CryOrig C7 copper + Noctua fan = ???
I dont have Cryorig C7 copper so cant confirm the height. But for AXP-90 Full Copper, maybe 1mm taller due to the anti-vibration pads

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017

if you have an AXP-90 & then add a Noctua fan to it, which is required due to noise, height goes to about 51-52mm.

this is the info i received.

if i have the wrong cooler model, by accident, i'll edit my post.

will wait for more posters to reply.

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
this is the info i received.

if i have the wrong cooler model, by accident, i'll edit my post.

will wait for more posters to reply.
I am just curious where you got that information from because as mr.squishy said, i cant find any info of cryorig c7/axp-90 can get that tall with a noctua fan swap.

Anyway, to get back on topic, the benefit of Black Ridge and IS-47K over Cryorig C7 and AXP-90 is no turbulence. Even after swapping my AXP-90 stock fan to NF-A9x14, i could still hear some turbulence noise with the noctua but better than the stock fan.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I am just curious where you got that information from because as mr.squishy said, i cant find any info of cryorig c7/axp-90 can get that tall with a noctua fan swap.

there's no time deadline here.

if its not coming up on the forum search feature, we can just wait for other posters to reply.

i'm in no hurry to correct my post, when it might be accurate.

i'll be patient.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

the issue is that the cases we're using the Blackridge in mostly are the DanA4, the S4M, the S4M-c, which have max cooler heights of 47mm, because the side panels are basically at 48mm, but if you run a cooler with a fan that's kissing the side panel, you'll not only increase noise but you WILL lose performance because of the side panels lowering airflow due to their obstructing the usually clear path of the air, and increasing air turbulence also as a result. so noise is not the only factor to consider.

although that seems to be a meaningless difference, most cases being discussed here, can't accommodate a 51-52mm cooler height.
This is also exactly what i mean, the cases we're talking about are the ones the Blackridge and IS-47K were designed for, the DanA4 , and by extension the S4M and S4M-c due to identical cooler height limits.

Anyway, to get back on topic, the benefit of Black Ridge and IS-47K over Cryorig C7 and AXP-90 is no turbulence. Even after swapping my AXP-90 stock fan to NF-A9x14, i could still hear some turbulence noise with the noctua but better than the stock fan.
No turbulence, exactly! It is because of the HUGE advantage that having the fan BELOW the heatsink array (sucking cool air into the case and onto the CPU) is why the BlackRidge and the IS-47K are seemingly being lined up as possible competitors. The farther away the fan is from the side panels of the case, the better.

SO..with that said, Believe me, we've tested coolers that have the fan right up against the side panel's of SFF cases, and the performance drops, ON TOP of the noise increasing, all thanks to pesky air turbulence increase due to fan proximity to the side panel, sadly. I wish i could buy the IS-47K from that one alibaba/taobao site for $35 bucks like i saw @laughingman do here a few posts back, so i could just thermally pit it up against the Blackridge and END this debate, lol, but I'm strapped for cash at this time and am thus, awaiting for someone with an S4M or S4M-c to do some thermal tests with the IS-47K & Blackridge- BEFORE i buy.. I can't afford to have another CPU cooler purchase, only to have it sit unused because it doesnt beat the Blackridge.. besides.. IDcooling is KNOWN for over-marketing their cooler's TDP performance, hell, at the start of this cooler's PR they said it was 135wTDP, now its 95W TDP on the site, which is HIGHLY suspect.

We all know their IS30 was a crappy vapor chamber cooler, and I dont want this cooler to fool me into buying it either, which is why I'm being so wary and not biting the bullet on this one.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
the issue is that the cases we're using the Blackridge in mostly are the DanA4, the S4M, the S4M-c, which have max cooler heights of 47mm, because the side panels are basically at 48mm, but if you run a cooler with a fan that's kissing the side panel, you'll not only increase noise but you WILL lose performance because of the side panels lowering airflow due to their obstructing the usually clear path of the air, and increasing air turbulence also as a result. so noise is not the only factor to consider.

This is also exactly what i mean, the cases we're talking about are the ones the Blackridge and IS-47K were designed for, the DanA4 , and by extension the S4M and S4M-c due to identical cooler height limits.

No turbulence, exactly! It is because of the HUGE advantage that having the fan BELOW the heatsink array (sucking cool air into the case and onto the CPU) is why the BlackRidge and the IS-47K are seemingly being lined up as possible competitors. The farther away the fan is from the side panels of the case, the better.

SO..with that said, Believe me, we've tested coolers that have the fan right up against the side panel's of SFF cases, and the performance drops, ON TOP of the noise increasing, all thanks to pesky air turbulence increase due to fan proximity to the side panel, sadly. I wish i could buy the IS-47K from that one alibaba/taobao site for $35 bucks like i saw @laughingman do here a few posts back, so i could just thermally pit it up against the Blackridge and END this debate, lol, but I'm strapped for cash at this time and am thus, awaiting for someone with an S4M or S4M-c to do some thermal tests with the IS-47K & Blackridge- BEFORE i buy.. I can't afford to have another CPU cooler purchase, only to have it sit unused because it doesnt beat the Blackridge.. besides.. IDcooling is KNOWN for over-marketing their cooler's TDP performance, hell, at the start of this cooler's PR they said it was 135wTDP, now its 95W TDP on the site, which is HIGHLY suspect.

We all know their IS30 was a crappy vapor chamber cooler, and I dont want this cooler to fool me into buying it either, which is why I'm being so wary and not biting the bullet on this one.
Well easy answer : black ridge with below 120mm is beating is-47k with 92mm. But difference should be minimal. I don’t see how it can be different...:)

I also agree about Id-cooling marketing, a bit too optimistic...even if it’s a bit difficult to judge. I agree with noctua new practice on tdp, just indicating cooling behaviour for each cpu.

Last question : what are drawbacks of your BR setup?

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHudacris

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Well easy answer : black ridge with below 120mm is beating is-47k with 92mm. But difference should be minimal. I don’t see how it can be different...:)

I also agree about Id-cooling marketing, a bit too optimistic...even if it’s a bit difficult to judge. I agree with noctua new practice on tdp, just indicating cooling behaviour for each cpu.

Last question : what are drawbacks of your BR setup?
Hmmm. I would say it is NOT and easy answer, you've seen the IS-47K has a taller heatsink fin array than the Blackridge when compared side by side.. ?

Then again, i looked through this thread and found one temp comparison between the IsS-47K and the Blackridge, the BR won by 4c https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...fan-black-ridge-alternative.13754/post-210337

So the Blackridge still wins? I'm glad to see SOME testing, lol. but I'd like to see more than just one test. anyone able to do more thorough comparisons?
-Also looking back at this thread i notice many people had issues with the cooler, possibly related to mounting issues in the manufacturing of the cooler mount? what a shame IDcooling may have actually failed to deliver with this cooler.. BR looks to still be the 47mm king of SFF cooling?

-also regarding your question about drawbacks on my BR setup, buying VLP DDR4 is one drawback, i guess? but i was able to OC mine from 2666 CL19 to 3333 CL14, which i'm super happy with. also i had to buy a Noctua 120x15 fan, but it was worth it for the amazing cooling.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hmmm. I would say it is NOT and easy answer, you've seen the IS-47K has a taller heatsink fin array than the Blackridge when compared side by side.. ?

Then again, i looked through this thread and found one temp comparison between the IsS-47K and the Blackridge, the BR won by 4c https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...fan-black-ridge-alternative.13754/post-210337

So the Blackridge still wins? I'm glad to see SOME testing, lol. but I'd like to see more than just one test. anyone able to do more thorough comparisons?
-Also looking back at this thread i notice many people had issues with the cooler, possibly related to mounting issues in the manufacturing of the cooler mount? what a shame IDcooling may have actually failed to deliver with this cooler.. BR looks to still be the 47mm king of SFF cooling?

-also regarding your question about drawbacks on my BR setup, buying VLP DDR4 is one drawback, i guess? but i was able to OC mine from 2666 CL19 to 3333 CL14, which i'm super happy with. also i had to buy a Noctua 120x15 fan, but it was worth it for the amazing cooling.
Well I agree vlp ram could be an issue but as you managed to overclock it above 3200mts, it’s all good then..:)
Test available on YouTube is showing pretty bad behaviour of is-47k, could be related to bad mounting system.

I still think BR is still cooling solution for 47mm, at least for Intel platform. For AMD layout I’m sceptical about MB compatibility. Cryorig c7 or nh-l9a+25mm fan could be decent alternative

Questl

Chassis Packer
Nov 12, 2019
Bit of a warning, since getting this fan, mounting (set to intake) and running.
The stock fan blades are very sharp and very close to the edge of the fan. Once the system heats up, and the blades get spinning, the cooler frame (outside supporting brace of the cooler fins) can snag the blades as they pass. Once one gets dinged, the fan begins to wobble, creating a feedback loop of loud clicks until one blade manages to seat itself UNDER the cooler frame. The whole occurrence is quite frightening, and leaves you with a fan that's no longer spinning and has to be "unhooked".
I solved this in the most immediately practical way of simply re-mounting the fan to exhaust, I have to wonder if ID Cooling recommends one mount it that way for this very reason. A dremel could carve a gentle curve into the frame, or some washers would also work. But looking at Noctua fans, it's possible the more rounded tips would catch less? I don't have any Noctua fans, so I couldn't tell you practically the likelihood of this, but it's definitely a consideration. Hopefully mine is an edge case, haha.

• Wow
Reactions: DrHudacris

kioffies

Cable Smoosher
Mar 1, 2020
I did some testing on my Velka 5 v1.1 (this time with no side panels and tightening the mounting as much as I can for IS-47K)
9600k 1.2V 4.3GHz delidded Prime95 Smallest FFTs, HWINFO
blackridge and is-47k set as intake (blowing towards motherboard) all 3 using stock is47k fan

Blackridge: 93 c
IS-47K: 95 c
axp-90: 90 c

I tried again with thermalright's liquid metal (3 stained coolers later)

blackridge: 88 c
is-47k: 91 c
axp-90: 84 c

not the most scientific comparison, but I can vouch that liquid metal works really well with the axp-90 for some reason. regardless, i'm happy that my is-47k is performing with a tighter mount

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
thanks for your tests!
I did some testing on my Velka 5 v1.1 (this time with no side panels and tightening the mounting as much as I can for IS-47K)
9600k 1.2V 4.3GHz delidded Prime95 Smallest FFTs, HWINFO
blackridge and is-47k set as intake (blowing towards motherboard) all 3 using stock is47k fan

Blackridge: 93 c
IS-47K: 95 c
axp-90: 90 c

I tried again with thermalright's liquid metal (3 stained coolers later)

blackridge: 88 c
is-47k: 91 c
axp-90: 84 c

not the most scientific comparison, but I can vouch that liquid metal works really well with the axp-90 for some reason. regardless, i'm happy that my is-47k is performing with a tighter mount
why didnt you use the 92mm x14mm noctua for the IS-47K and the 120mmx15mm for the blackridge, to test the coolers in their best possible configuration?

kioffies

Cable Smoosher
Mar 1, 2020
thanks for your tests!

why didnt you use the 92mm x14mm noctua for the IS-47K and the 120mmx15mm for the blackridge, to test the coolers in their best possible configuration?
No problem, I'm still unsure about the IS-47K mounting but it did improve significantly from last time.
I don't have VLP ram and 120mm slim fan. The stock fan for IS-47K has the highest CFM but louder noise levels. Although I'm sure not sure how much that changes when set in intake and if it affects blackridge/IS-47K. Unfortunately I'm out of thermal paste and time to spare :(

Reactions: CubanLegend