Concept Hybrid Transformer One - Portable modular All-in-One system

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Loving the project so far. Not a fan of the trackpad or the hinge for the screen. Would much rather see two hinges for better stability and less likely to break or twist. Would love to see the lower bezel taken advantage of, speakers maybe?

Thanks. The hinge will be realizable. On smaller machines 360 degree is often a problem because there is no space for a solid high quality hinge. This will not be a problem here.

Speakers on lower bezel will most definitely happen.

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018
Again I changed everything because I noticed I can add SFX PSU support without increasing volume. So there will be a mounting panel that allows to install SFX PSU or DC PSU with battery. This opens up the possibility for high performance builds > 330 watt and I don't rely on DC psu exclusively. It will also be easy to switch between SFX and DC plus Battery.

To fit the SFX psu the mainboard I/O panel and gpu ports have to be on the left side. I think for a mobile case this is actually good and I think I managed to keep it aesthetic.

The new layout also allows 300 mm gpu with only a restriction in height. So now the case could fit something like watercooled i7 8700K with EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 and Corsair 600W psu.

Maybe 240 mm AiO is difficult now because I need space for LCD Controller and SSD's. So maybe I go with 120 X 45 mm AiO systems like Silent Loop 120. This certainly should be enough cooling. Even for modest overclocking.

Overall dimensions now come close to a machine like MSI GT83. It has the same footprint while only being a little higher on the tapered side. But it has a palmrest so it should provide good ergonomics.

And here is a picture of the new (and hopefully final) layout:

I realy like this new layout with the possibility of SFX psu. I think now I can go deeper into details.

I also like the SFX support. So 330W barrier can be broken if needed. Machines like this are plugged in all the time anyways and relying only on DC ATX is maybe risky because there are only a few suppliers for now.

So I made a size comparison picture with DAN A4 and my beloved Project Vertical:

Awesome!

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
I also like the SFX support. So 330W barrier can be broken if needed. Machines like this are plugged in all the time anyways and relying only on DC ATX is maybe risky because there are only a few suppliers for now.

That is pretty much what I was thinking.

Here is a picture of version 4 with closed display:

I am working on a first detailed version now.

Last edited:

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
So I started with the detailed model. Here is an early picture of the base unit :

I optimized the airflow and again was able to make it a little bit thinner:) More pictures will follow when the model is finished.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
I found some time to integrate early versions of the 360 degree hinge, mounting frame for the display, display frame, psu and a 18.4 inch AUO 4K panel:

The installed hinge is overpowered and thats what I like about it. It could carry a TV so it should never fail here:)

I will keep on detailing the model step by step.

I think a 18.4" display will be problematic as it's not a common monitor size. CMIIW the core concept for this project is not to 'fit the most powerful components possible' but to enable users to customize their Convertible-PC with off-the-shelf components.

An uncommon monitor size IMO is a step backwards. But the ability to add a battery is definitely a plus.

An idea i have regarding the display: There will be a small bezel to adapt for 17 inch lcd panels. So the choice for the display is much greater.

However there are several 18.4 inch panels in full hd and 4k by auo, lg and so on. But it improves choice so it should be a good thing.

Last edited:

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018

So I had a little time to work on the detailed model. I made some small changes to the layout:

- AIO radiator moved from right side to the middle for better compatibility (tube length). Basically all 120 x 30 mm aio's will fit now. 120 x 45 with slim fans. 240 mm aio is only possible with gpu's shorter than 175 mm.

- Changed airflow (optimized for better gpu heat dissipation) and added more fans. Now the chassis can carry:

- - 2 x 90 mm or 1 x 120 mm above keyboard
- - 1 x 120 mm below keyboard
- - 2 x 60 mm on backside
- - 4 x 40 mm on right side

- Added sound system on the front (1 inch high quality speakers).

Last edited:

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018

So I had a little time to work on the detailed model. I made some small changes to the layout:

- AIO radiator moved from right side to the middle for better compatibility (tube length). Basically all 120 x 30 mm aio's will fit now. 120 x 45 with slim fans. 240 mm aio is only possible with gpu's shorter than 175 mm.

- Changed airflow (optimized for better gpu heat dissipation) and added more fans. Now the chassis can carry:

- - 2 x 90 mm or 1 x 120 mm above keyboard
- - 1 x 120 mm below keyboard
- - 2 x 60 mm on backside
- - 4 x 40 mm on right side

- Added sound system on the front (1 inch high quality speakers).

Insane machineXD

I hope you keep up the good work and we see an actual prototype of this beast. Is the 120 mm rad under the round cut-out? And 60 mm fans behind it?

Maybe it makes sense to have the two top fans as intake? They would directly cool VRM's which maybe better than air-out.

duke00

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2016
If you use an FlexATX PSU and not an SFX then you can bring down the maximum high of the Case on round about 40mm.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Insane machineXD

I hope you keep up the good work and we see an actual prototype of this beast. Is the 120 mm rad under the round cut-out? And 60 mm fans behind it?

Maybe it makes sense to have the two top fans as intake? They would directly cool VRM's which maybe better than air-out.

Yes the radiator is in the middle under the cut-out with two 60 X 25 mm fans behind it.

Airflow direction is something that I have to test when a prototype is finished. You maybe right with your assumption but I don't know yet.

If you use an FlexATX PSU and not an SFX then you can bring down the maximum high of the Case on round about 40mm.

I already experienced a Flex PSU and I don't like it. It is too loud and has no cable management. The best alternativ to SFX here is DC ATX.

But even with Flex 40 mm is not realistic. There are so many other constraints that require more than 40 mm. Like motherboard + aircooler, motherboard + RAM, motherboard + pump, radiator high + bending radius of tubes and most important GPU size.

There are already 4x 40mm screamers. I do not think that adding another one would be wise. Also ... Flex ATX, unless modded, aren't modular and would add more cable cluttering

The idea is to run the 40 mm fans only at low RPM. But despite this 40 mm Noctua fans are not louder than their bigger fans according to the datasheets. So I don't know if you can simply say 40 mm fans are screamers.

Generally I hope that high RPM's are not needed with 9 fans inside this pc.

Last edited:

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018

The engineering version is evolving. Parts of the inner structure and screw connections are still missing.

Again I managed to make the case a little bit thinner. But I think now the limit of this layout is reached.

I also managed to fit bigger GPU's: Dual slot cards with 310 x 122 mm fit now. So something like EVGA 1080Ti SC2 will fit.

I am quite happy with the current status. I think the following steps all will head in the direction of a first prototype. Concept process is pretty much finished I think.

Last edited:
D

DelUser6216

Put a subwoofer inside. Lol.

I mean some people buy very expensive laptops purely because of the speakers, it will have high profit margins! And those tweeters so close together will sound very mono not stereo, push them to the edges.

This could be like a boombox. Or not. Your choice.

Also, I'm with you along the way because I'm building a laptop prototype too.

Reactions: Philairflow

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Put a subwoofer inside. Lol.

I mean some people buy very expensive laptops purely because of the speakers, it will have high profit margins! And those tweeters so close together will sound very mono not stereo, push them to the edges.

This could be like a boombox. Or not. Your choice.

Also, I'm with you along the way because I'm building a laptop prototype too.

I forgot to say:

A good friend of me is sound engineer. He really likes the project and (hopefully) will invest some work on the soundsystem. I will try to convince him to register here in SFF forum.

I agree that they might be a little bit close but space is rare. Maybe I can do some improvement here and move one speaker to the edge.

A small subwoofer might fitXD

I definitely love good sound so let's use the space we have.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Screamers is a the way I refer to 40mm fans in general (read at high RPM). At low RPM, it won't move much air but might help to bring some fresh air to a nearby component (i.e: 40mm fan on Asus thermal armor for VRM).

About the speakers, they are indeed to close to each others. I wouldn't advise to only move one channel to an edge and not the other. You'd endup with serious balance issue. Also, a subwoofer doesn't feel right. Metal chassis will have high chance to bring unwanted vibrations and the woofer will lack volume to create enough bass. If you really want to improve audio experience and have space to use, then I'd go with a USB DAC board that you'd plug to a motherboard internal USB header (and eventually add an headphone ampflier).

Last edited:
Reactions: Philairflow

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
That keyboard and trackpad are going to be warm to hot to the touch during load, and the ventilation will warm your wrists.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Screamers is a the way I refer to 40mm fans in general (read at high RPM). At low RPM, it won't move much air but might help to bring some fresh air to a nearby component (i.e: 40mm fan on Asus thermal armor for VRM).

About the speakers, they are indeed to close to each others. I wouldn't advise to only move one channel to an edge and not the other. You'd endup with serious balance issue. Also, a subwoofer doesn't feel right. Metal chassis will have high chance to bring unwanted vibrations and the woofer will lack volume to create enough bass. If you really want to improve audio experience and have space to use, then I'd go with a USB DAC board that you'd plug to a motherboard internal USB header (and eventually add an headphone ampflier).

DAC amplifier with headphone amp is definitely a favorite. I already talked to a supplier. Thanks for your tips. I will consider this.

That keyboard and trackpad are going to be warm to hot to the touch during load, and the ventilation will warm your wrists.

There will be a heat insulation layer and enough airflow. So I am sure it will not get warmer than a gaming laptop. You are right about the outlet on the palmrest. I will move it and make it smaller.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018

I made a change on the stand. The vertical stand is now also providing a monitor style position. It allows height adjustment and angle adjustment with the 360 degree hinge.

I am also planning to use Logitech K810 as keyboard. I can perfectly integrate it into the chassis. It will look completely integral. It fits perfectly with its thin size and it would be easy removable.

Last edited:

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
hey, nice progress here :)
I like the idea of monitor stand. do you feel like adding a vesa mount option? maybe with a piece that fits into visa mount that then locks the case into place, so it will still be easy to remove

i also liked very much the ideia of this logitech keyboard. I will make it a bit easier if something ever goes bad with it, it will be just a matter of changing it. does this dimmensions allow the apple mini keyboards as well? I loved that keyboard when I had a mac and i think that having some couple more options that fit jut generay a good ideia. not sure how fixing would work, but its more of 'does it fit in this hole?' aproach

I dont want you to change too much just maybe give it a thought. I'm really liking what you're doing here :)