Concept Hybrid Transformer One - Portable modular All-in-One system

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
No Problem. Changed it. Although this monster is not a notebook. What is the manufacturer of this suitcase pc? It does not look good, but it is very interesting.
The manufacturer is Ariesys.

While it is not a "notebook", the concept is exactly the same (regular PC components, built-in screen + PSU + keyboard, in a portable package). Also, aesthetic is something very personal...

I think the keyboard is more comfortable this way due to the reduced thickness. Not sure about muscular strain with your concept when using the keyboard for hours (that's my 2 cents).

Reactions: owliwar

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
I feel like the keyboard and the touchpad need to be detachable in order for long time comfort use. Raising your wrist that high for any significant time will be a nightmare!

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
I feel like the keyboard and the touchpad need to be detachable in order for long time comfort use. Raising your wrist that high for any significant time will be a nightmare!

I think the keyboard is more comfortable this way due to the reduced thickness. Not sure about muscular strain with your concept when using the keyboard for hours (that's my 2 cents).

Detachable keyboard will be too difficult to develop. And also it would be too thick. You can just rotate the screen around and use a mechanical keyboard:

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
What kind of heatsink do you plan to use ? Heatpipes based ones won't work well if their base is on top with pipes facing downward.

The problem I see with flipping the chassis, if thermally acceptable, it the desktop realestate lost with chassis + additional keyboard.

I think that luggable chassis like the one I linked where done this way for a reason.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
What kind of heatsink do you plan to use ? Heatpipes based ones won't work well if their base is on top with pipes facing downward.

The problem I see with flipping the chassis, if thermally acceptable, it the desktop realestate lost with chassis + additional keyboard.

I think that luggable chassis like the one I linked where done this way for a reason.

Noctua NH L9i. The cooler shown in this picture should be NH L12S. This one is way too big for my concept.

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018
This is called a rugged portable chassis and it's been there for decades. The below example supports mATX motherboard and has 1U PSU

I even saw products supporting up to eATX with 7 expansion slots.

Nice concept of yours but definitely not "the first in the world". @Philairflow, please change your thread title accordingly as this assertion is false.

Please. OP's case is such a beauty and you compare it to those ugly gigantic briefcases? He wrote "notebook case" not "another reincarnation of frankenstein's monsters"XD

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017

sorry if a little unrelated, but... this cooler should not be used flipped then... oh no
I might have problems in my case then...

now in topic, I'm loving this concept

Detachable keyboard will be too difficult to develop. And also it would be too thick. You can just rotate the screen around and use a mechanical keyboard:

could you make the screen lay flat on the case again?
if you could make this case be vertical ... but with the screen horizontally so it would reduce desk space /footprint

i'm not sure I'm being clear?
either way, keep on :)

Reactions: BernardoZ

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
sorry if a little unrelated, but... this cooler should not be used flipped then... oh no
I might have problems in my case then...

now in topic, I'm loving this concept

could you make the screen lay flat on the case again?
if you could make this case be vertical ... but with the screen horizontally so it would reduce desk space /footprint

i'm not sure I'm being clear?
either way, keep on :)

Here you go:

This is just a simple stand. You only have to turn the display 180° and close it. Then put it into the stand and Hybrid is a vertical desktop case with a companion display. Cooling improves in the vertical stand because there is better airflow.

Last edited:

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Wow, this is nice! It's probably much better than your original idea, and might be easier to develop too, cause you won't need to worry about the keyboard thing. Also, this could be your ITX version of your other 2x1 project haha ;)

This is still the same case! The display can be rotated like on a convertible laptop:

I will make an animation to make things clear.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
yes! like this but in horizontal mode. not sure how cabling would go but, probably with i/o on bottom so front i/o is on top, for 'portable' layout.

keep on

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Please. OP's case is such a beauty and you compare it to those ugly gigantic briefcases? He wrote "notebook case" not "another reincarnation of frankenstein's monsters"XD

Again, aesthetic is something personal and subjective that noone is allowed to criticize ! Both op and what I linked aren't notebook. Let's be honest, it is too thick to be considered a notebook, has no battery so is not considered as nomad .... It is a desktop computer with a keyboard and a foldable screen in place of its top panel, period.

What got me triggered was the "first in the world" that I couldn't allow as a moderator.

Now .... MODERATOR MODE OFF ...

I still think the "notebook" mode is not usable for serious use and the rotated screen + external keyboard doesn't solve anything as you'll have I/O and cables facing you.

It looks like aesthetic was the sole consideration. It is too sick too be serioysls considered as a notebook (and it has no battery). It is even thick than rugged industrial laptop that people hate. It takes more desktop space than an S4 + 60% keyboard + screen and I can predict worse cooling and quietness.

But above everything, I have a real concern about thermals. I might be mistaken but from the render the MB look like being flipped upside down, with heatsink being below it. If this is the case, I can see the CPU burning to its death.

This is how heatpipe coolers work:

And here are thermal performance regarding orientation (-90° being heat source above condenser):

As you can see, this is close to zero !

I fear that @Philairflow design has vents in the bottom and motherboard flipped. But even with motherboard oriented the good way, you'll be facing the lack of vents due to the keyboard.

Could you like industrial briefcase style or not, they are still superior in many ways:
  • They take less desktop space
  • They are easier to carry (handle and rugged)
  • They have better cooling
  • They provide a usable keyboard
Here you go:

Now ..... I like the vertical stand version and the second screen it provides.

Last edited:

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
So yesterday I changed a lot. Basically everthing after some brainstorming (Thank you Konstantin!!!):

So you are looking at 17 inch now which adds a lot of benefits. It has a ergonomic angle for the keyboard which was only possible because of a new layout. The complete internal build-up was changed (no bottom air intake anymore, 90 degree turned gpu and more). I will provide a picture maybe tomorrow. The height could be reduced significant. So in terms of hand rest it now can compete with dtr notebooks. With 17 inch there is way more space for harddrives (Or even a batteryXD. But I don't want that.)

Also thermals should be better now.

More pictures and details will follow.

Last edited:

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018
So yesterday I changed a lot. Basically everthing after some brainstorming (Thank you Konstantin!!!):

So you are looking at 17 inch now which adds a lot of benefits. It has a ergonomic angle for the keyboard which was only possible because of a new layout. The complete internal build-up was changed (no bottom air intake anymore, 90 degree turned gpu and more). I will provide a picture maybe tomorrow. The height could be reduced significant. So in terms of hand rest it now can compete with dtr notebooks. With 17 inch there is way more space for harddrives (Or even a batteryXD. But I don't want that.)

Also thermals should be better now.

More pictures and details will follow.

This looks so cool. A DTR that I can build up myself would be super fun. This one is a serious improvement in terms of handling and aesthetics. Would a Zotac 1080 Ti mini fit in there?

Reactions: Philairflow

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
Looks absolutely brilliant. This form factor might turn out to be the natural evolution of SFF: balancing between true portability (which laptops have) and customizability (which desktops have).

My two cents would be to thoroughly consider the keyboard and monitor, as they are the two things in this format that is not customizable (not as easy as the other components, at least).

Reactions: Philairflow

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Looks absolutely brilliant. This form factor might turn out to be the natural evolution of SFF: balancing between true portability (which laptops have) and customizability (which desktops have).

My two cents would be to thoroughly consider the keyboard and monitor, as they are the two things in this format that is not customizable (not as easy as the other components, at least).

Thanks. I agree with the keyboard, since they are not standardized (I like the dell notebook keyboards, they would be an option here).

But I disagree on the display. These are pretty standardized and it will be easy to replace. Just some screws. I like easy replacement so this will not be a glued toegether apple machineXD

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Not sure that the pinout is standardized on the LCD panel side. Current gen embedded displays use either eDP or LVDS, but I am pretty sure that it is not standardized on the panel side (each panel needs a specific LDVS cable.

How did you plan to connect the LCD to the GPU ?

Also, being the same size do not mean that all panels have the same thickness, the same mounting holes, that the inverter and other external electronics are the same....

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not sure that the pinout is standardized on the LCD panel side. Current gen embedded displays use either eDP or LVDS, but I am pretty sure that it is not standardized on the panel side (each panel needs a specific LDVS cable.

How did you plan to connect the LCD to the GPU ?

Also, being the same size do not mean that all panels have the same thickness, the same mounting holes, that the inverter and other external electronics are the same....

For the normal non specific displays form auo and lg and so on the mounting holes are the same. At least on the cad models and datasheets I have. Of course that is not the case with all the special displays lg and samsung make for tablets, ultrabooks, smartphones etc.

I want to use a lcd controller that is high quality. Not the alibaba china things. Something like this from the german company distec:

https://www.datadisplay-group.de/pr...a-display-group/i/prismamini-hdmi-dp/a/s/c/p/