Stalled Hutzy XS — Ultra Compact Gaming Case (<4L)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
On the handle: I think it was mentioned around here that there is a kind-of standard hole distance for handles that most aftermarket ones use as well.

There isn't really a "standard". The MNPCTech billet handle is 5" between holes and there are some rack-server handles that are also 5" spacing but that's it. The production version of Cerberus will end up with different spacing though.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I like the all black version too. The staggered square hole pattern is a subtle change but actually looks nicer IMO. I'm not sure about the vinyl strips yet. Accents are nice, but probably not like this. However if it's possible you could give it a dual paint coat for a subdued look, so the strip could be of a gloss black painted directly on the case, and the rest of the case in matte or flat black.

Matthew

Cable Smoosher
Feb 28, 2015
I'm loving the clean look or the original accent style as well, not really a fan of the vinyl stripe. On the subject of the handle; this case is small enough that I imagine it's not too hard to just grab the whole thing. The handle is a cool option if you like the aesthetic but I would sooner take it without.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Firstly, thank you all for the feedback.

I will make sure to go through all of posts in these few days, and answer individual questions left unanswered in this post.

The purpose of this post is to move the general design forward, because I may be locking in a design with a manufacturer and ordering a prototype this coming week.

Overwhelmingly, people have voiced that:
  • the vinyl strip is a no go
  • the handle is not needed for such a small case
So I have removed those.

Now, I pose another question:

What hole layout do you believe to be the best appearance wise?

Of note:

#1 is the original, with the vinyl strip and handle holes removed

#2 and #3
Both feature full-length side panel holes. This comes with a trade-off. Looking from the outside, you will see parts of the PSU and the SSD on the other side. Also, a lot more wiring from the PSU will show through. The upside is that there may be heat dissipation advantages, though this claim is untested.
#3 also feature full-length top holes, which I believe to be purely cosmetic and make marginal difference in heat dissipation.

#4 feature full-length top holes and a moderate increase to side holes compared to #1. Looking from the outside perpendicularly, the top of the SSD is just barely covered. The PSU is fully covered. The untested heat dissipation advantage that the full-length panel is definitely absent here.

I do personally have a favorite amongst these 4 options. But I would like to have an unbiased discussion and hear your feedback first.

Vote here: http://www.strawpoll.me/10040820

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
#4 all the way, though #1 could make the case more stiff.
All FlexATX PSUs that could be used in this case will be grey or silver if you don't sell enough units to get a custom paint job on one and sell it with the case. Having that exposed on such a nice, clean case would be blasphemy.

You could make a poll in this thread to track peoples opinions more easily.

BTW, where is the PSU going to intake from? Will it just use some of the hot exhaust from GPU and CPU?

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
BTW, where is the PSU going to intake from? Will it just use some of the hot exhaust from GPU and CPU?

Yea, it will be intaking from the downward radially-exhausted air from CPU/GPU

How I picture it, the exhausting air is split between going through the top vents, or through the PSU to the back.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That could either be a bad idea because the PSUs fan is going to spin faster or it could be a good idea because those fans are actively supporting airflow through the PSU. Interesting.

Reactions: Hahutzy

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
That could either be a bad idea because the PSUs fan is going to spin faster or it could be a good idea because those fans are actively supporting airflow through the PSU. Interesting.

Yup, this is why I really want to put a 80mm fan in there to do the heavy lifting.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I like #4. Unless you do custom cabling all you'll see is a nest of cables jammed into the bottom lol.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Yea I liked #4 too. Though some discussion went on in [H] and it did bring my attention to the disproportionate "border" of the top versus the side.

Remade another set of 4, took some of the old ones and added the new one I rendered:

Vote: Best of 5 6 7 8?

Pretty sure I'll be going with 8, it just looks right after all the changes made.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
When you're using a staggered pattern anyway, way not go for hexagonal holes? That gives you more surface area for the intake which might help cooling a bit.

I wanted the rounded square pattern because it goes with the theme of the case. That is also why I had the neatly arranged hole pattern at first too.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I was almost thinking the same. Too many cases have hexagonal hole patterns already. Having square holes to me adds to the "bespoke-ness" of the case and makes it more recognizable what case it is.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I think the hole patterns don't make too much of a difference, but I really liked the version that had the vinyl stripe so I'm partial to the one with split openings (5 or 6) - i think that made the case stand out.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That's nonsense, I'm waiting on those sexy Brevis S prototype pics in a few weeks ;)

I actually only have two parts of the inner structure ordered because money, so it's not that sexy unless you're into open test benches :p

Just noticed your placement for the HDPLEX power connector holes, very neatly integrated into the hole pattern! Maybe it would make sense to allow for mounting of the PicoPSU connector as well, that one has its holes a bit closer together. Some people might prefer that solution to the HDPLEX because you can mount more 2.5" drives where the PSU would normally be.
It would also be a great opportuntiy for a small NAS build with two 3.5" drives in the GPU compartment.

Also found out that some FlexATX PSUs *cough* Seasonic *cough* aren't adhering to the standard too closely in terms of C14 connector placement, so make sure to give the cutout there a bit more wiggle room. Mine has only 0.2mm around each side which could be too little.