Stalled Hutzy XS — Ultra Compact Gaming Case (<4L)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Awesome, very eager to see what it's going to look like! I guess we're talking about a full prototype here, right? Or did you skip finishing for this run?

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
I skipped the finishing and PEMs, because I really wanted to get a feel of this manufacturer's capability to bend it to spec first.
Having talked to multiple manufacturers, the back of XS is quite difficult to bend...

If all goes well, I will most likely continue with this manu for a small-scale run of anodized black ones, and PEMs or not depends on how the rolled threads perform.

This whole idea that straight taps might be enough came about because I brought with me a Jonsbo V3+ to the manu to show them the quality/finish I wanted. And then they pointed out that the V3+ uses straight taps and it has held up over my usage of it, with which I was inclined to agree.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That certainly makes sense. LianLi also uses straight taps on a lot of their cases, only very important threads get press-fit nuts. I think a lot of how well regular taps hold up depends on the kind of alu you're using.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Yea I might have to PEM the taps used to secure the PCIE extender, on the middleboard inside.

Because the GPU's weight is basically shared between those screws and the horizontal flange in the back (is there a dedicated name for this flange?).

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Ok update on the prototype manufacturing.

I met up with the manufacturer yesterday, and they had problems manufacturing the vents holes. They use a laser cutter, and the amount of heat absorbed by the sheet while cutting so many vent holes caused the sheet to stretch and warp. A solution I'm going to try is to make the holes bigger, so there's less travel time over the same area. I made updated renders of the result. On Monday I will go in with this new vent design and have them try it to see if the sheets still warp.

Maybe a blessing in disguise? I've asked a couple of people and they liked these triangle holes more than the rounded squares.

Reactions: Phuncz and K888D

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I like the triangles more. By the way, are the intake's designed for dust filters to fit? I'm thinking the 140mm magnetic fliters from Silverstone would work fairly well for a case like this.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
The intake area is around 120x120 because I want 140 filters to fit comfortably behind them

However the magnetic ones might be too thick (thickness of filter + thickness of the adhesive magnet strips) if you want to use CPU and GPU fans that hit close to the width limit.

Personally I've tried the 140 mesh ones you can get on ebay, and then just use electric tape to secure it.

danielbatmanj

Average Stuffer
May 16, 2016
ok 3 things:
1: nice design
2: price?
3: is it possible to mount a 3.5" hdd in the case (in any way) and if i did i would need to rest the case on its side right?

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
ok 3 things:
1: nice design
2: price?
3: is it possible to mount a 3.5" hdd in the case (in any way) and if i did i would need to rest the case on its side right?

1: Thanks!
2: Not sure yet, depends on final manufacture price
3: The only way is to not use an add-in card like a GPU. No, it would still be better to have it upright.

SATA power and data cables would be connected on the bottom

danielbatmanj

Average Stuffer
May 16, 2016
1: Thanks!
2: Not sure yet, depends on final manufacture price
3: The only way is to not use an add-in card like a GPU. No, it would still be better to have it upright.

SATA power and data cables would be connected on the bottom
dang it.
i am planning a downsize and upgrade of my rig but i need a case with a 3.5" mount for my hdd

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I think triangles look nice, too. They might be suited as a recurring design elements with all your cases and maybe for the website as well.

Have you tried flipping every other row of triangles upside down? That way the vents on the top could be made symmetric and you'll improve structural integrity.

Reactions: Hahutzy

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Thanks guys!

Yea I tried flipping every other row around before. It looked more busy because you ended up with some 2-row patterns looking like
^ v ^ v
v ^ v ^

I tried to make it symmetrical by adding one more column as well. It didn't look good because it threw my ratios off. Currently the side panels' vent area have the same distance to the left edge, top edge, and right edge.

The current style is not symmetric, but in a sense "perfectly asymmetric" because if you draw a line |¯| from one side panel, to the top side, to the other panel, all the triangles line up pointing the same direction.

In terms of strength, I actually took home a test sample of a side panel my manu made. It's strong and there's no need to worry. In this pic and other times, I've tried to push into it as hard as I can. No flex and no indication of anything giving.

Reactions: Phuncz and jeshikat

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Thanks for the feedback on the vent hole change, good and bad.

For now, it will be the design I go with for my prototype.

The final prototype designs were sent in last week, and I reduced 1 row of vents on the side panels.

I expect a 2-3 week wait, so if they don't get back to me within this time frame, I will have to call them up and see what's going on.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Seems slightly awkward. Plus the lack of front USB is a bit of a dent on practicality. Perhaps you could incorporate something like the Corsair 240 I/O panel?

Cases like this are incredibly short, you can easily reach around the back and feel the button. I think there's actually zero space for front I/O in this case, let alone that massive I/O panel.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Whereabouts is the power button - on the back? Seems slightly awkward. Plus the lack of front USB is a bit of a dent on practicality. Perhaps you could incorporate something like the Corsair 240 I/O panel?

Cases like this are incredibly short, you can easily reach around the back and feel the button. I think there's actually zero space for front I/O in this case, let alone that massive I/O panel.

Yes, it is as iFreilicht said. Although there is some room in the front, that space is crucial for cable management. Adding a front panel invades that space, and creates more cable clutter of their own.

The i/o and power button are in the back, but are easy to access because the case length is ~7 inches or ~180cm.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
It's cool to see the evolution of this design and how the case was made. I think the changes have made it more practical.

Reactions: Hahutzy