Power Supply HDPlex AC-DC and DC-DC combo

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
He said that the current third doesn't attach to anything anyways so it's not a big deal?

The C14 inlet has a ground terminal that can be attached to the chassis. Assuming it's not a dummy wire then if that is properly screwed to the metal case then the chassis should be grounded.

But it does not directly ground the AC-DC unit itself, if the unit is screwed to the case then it'd be grounded to the case, or through the motherboard if the mobo is grounded via the standoffs.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's uncertain, I made a few suggestions based on my pre-production unit and he's looking into it.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
It's uncertain, I made a few suggestions based on my pre-production unit and he's looking into it.
Thanks a lot for the hint. I'm on a desperate need of some 160w and 250w units to finish 4 builds for my office and can't wait much longer... time to go for the chinese stuff. :confused:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Last I spoke to Larry, it's a 300W internal brick now and will be paired with the new version of the DC-DC which will also be rated for 300W. I believe he's trying to revise the design to make it better able to respond to draw spikes as are customary with CPUs and GPUs.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Oh good, I was thinking it's getting confusing with all these mismatched wattages between the AC-DC and DC-ATX.

Reactions: Phuncz

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Indeed. Unless they create a system where the motherboard is powered by a separate picoPSU style DC-DC PSU and everything else is powered off a different DC-DC PSU, it makes the most sense to me for each DC-DC PSU to have a matching AC-DC PSU

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Indeed. Unless they create a system where the motherboard is powered by a separate picoPSU style DC-DC PSU and everything else is powered off a different DC-DC PSU, it makes the most sense to me for each DC-DC PSU to have a matching AC-DC PSU

That will be the next product developed as far as I know. PCB for "everything else" with 19V output to a PICO style unit. Goodbye 24 and 8 pin power connectors <3

Reactions: confusis

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
That will be the next product developed as far as I know. PCB for "everything else" with 19V output to a PICO style unit. Goodbye 24 and 8 pin power connectors <3
I've mentioned this before, but what I'd really love to see is a 3-400W AC-DC PSU (enough for a mid range CPU, mid to high range GPU and one or two drives) that only outputs 12VDC, then connects to the motherboard with a Pico style PSU, but have the pico PSU able to turn the AC-DC PSU on or off while still receiving a small amount of 12VDC standby power to convert to 5V Stand-By for the motherboard.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So the width has increased a bit to allow for more heatsinking. The final dimensions of the 300W AC-DC adapter are 62mm x 41mm x 146mm (WxHxL):

And Larry said I should be getting a review unit sometime in February so presumably retail release will be around the same timeframe.

Last edited:

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
So the width has increased a bit to allow for more heatsinking.

Hmm, think this makes it just too wide for the S4, I think? (with wide edge installed against narrow edge of case). Would need to be installed sideways. Not an issue for my build, thankfully, as I have the space, though will have to figure out mounting beyond just conductive taping to bezel I guess.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
5mm too wide to fit in the bottom of the S4 mini. Originally I was thinking you could just sand off the fins to get width down, but I reckon this would be pretty tight. I wonder if cutting the inner portion of the S4 would create enough space.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I've mentioned this before, but what I'd really love to see is a 3-400W AC-DC PSU (enough for a mid range CPU, mid to high range GPU and one or two drives) that only outputs 12VDC, then connects to the motherboard with a Pico style PSU, but have the pico PSU able to turn the AC-DC PSU on or off while still receiving a small amount of 12VDC standby power to convert to 5V Stand-By for the motherboard.

I am working on a Meanwell PSU build just like you describe. The Meanwell has very low standby power and has low no load power usage, in the 1-2w range. However. To use the standby feature the PICO has be to be pinned for it which most designs current do not. they only have 12V input.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
So the width has increased a bit to allow for more heatsinking. Here are the final dimensions of the 300W AC-DC adapter.

And Larry said I should be getting a review unit sometime in February so presumably retail release will be around the same timeframe.

Thanks for the heads up ; can't start my next build without this one :(

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's probably the 250W, the 300W DC-ATX hasn't been released yet because the 300W AC-DC isn't ready yet.

Reactions: FreezingCode