Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
The PSU is not reliable at all. I'm having screen crashes here and there.

I'm using one i5-6600t + 1050ti, but the 12v rail can handle only 10 amps and that's exactly where the bottleneck kicks in.

Yikes, have you contacted support?.... Seems this case is designed for a 1050ti, and you've paired a very low power cpu as well.

Is the PSU removeable? If so it looks like there'd be plenty of space. Also might be cheaper and a better fit to simply replace the psu with a higher quality version in the same form factor. Unless of course you want the components to transition to something else down the road.

Reactions: Biowarejak

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Yikes, have you contacted support?.... Seems this case is designed for a 1050ti, and you've paired a very low power cpu as well
The Thermaltake case is from 2011, so, definitely, not 1050ti capable. Probly 35w GPU, at most.

Is the PSU removeable?
Yes.

Also might be cheaper and a better fit to simply replace the psu with a higher quality version in the same form factor.
The PSU is proprietary form factor, wich means it's not easily replaceable, but definitely doable.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
The Thermaltake case is from 2011, so, definitely, not 1050ti capable. Probly 35w GPU, at most.

Yes.

The PSU is proprietary form factor, wich means it's not easily replaceable, but definitely doable.

Ah okay. Sorry about the situation.

What are the dimensions of the PSU? Might be possible to hunt down a replacement.

Could also simply replace the case with something newer and it would likely be cheaperr than the hdplex combo.

If you have plans for putting hdplex parts into something else down the line then retrofitting them in for the meantime is a good idea. Just from eyeballing, I would say you should have no problems fitting the combo if you remove the PSU given that the length appears to be the same as an itx board (170mm). That said I would take some measurements and cross reference that with the dimensions from hdplex. Leaving the PSU in might be possible, hard to say without knowing some measurements, but if it won't be used might as well get it out of there :/.

Sorry I can't be more help.

khaaamy

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 29, 2017
I have a HD-Plex 400 and AC-DC Converter as supplied by hdplex connected to the same motherboard (Asrock Z270 ITX/ac)

I have the same problem. The First time I turn it on it works 100% but if I turn it off it will not turn on again unless I remove the power . The same problem as mirekti. The Board is a Z270 (similar to the Z170 board) and I have tried a few other power supplies and they work 100%.

Just to chime in here, I'm also having the same issue as mirekti, LennonNZ, and others. I have a ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 gaming ITX mobo, and the only reliable way I can start my machine is by resetting CMOS or unplugging power. The system is totally stable once it is up.

I'm getting a replacement PSU sent over, but since I just found this thread I may just return it unopened. Bummer... any one have an ideas on a workaround? Wish I could get a HDPlex 300.

Reactions: Julio Espinosa

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Uh, this has me a little concerned. I'm currently using the older version, and haven't swapped the new 400w in. Maybe I should make time for that to see if I have an issue as well.

khaaamy

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 29, 2017
The folks at HDPlex (Larry?) said they are working on a fix and are going to send a replacement once this is available. No ETA yet but I can post here what the results are when I get it.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Uh, this has me a little concerned. I'm currently using the older version, and haven't swapped the new 400w in. Maybe I should make time for that to see if I have an issue as well.
wanna sell me your 300w unit, when you finally decide for swapping to the 400w one?

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
wanna sell me your 300w unit, when you finally decide for swapping to the 400w one?

Yeah, I can do that as I won't need it any longer. I'll have some time this weekend to make the swap and test. I'll let you know how it goes.

LennonNZ

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 7, 2017
I got the same info that they are aware of the issue and working on fixing it.

At the moment my build is on hold :-(

TU100/HDPLEX400/NH-C14S/7700K/1080TI mini

Maybe get PicoPSU to power MB and Fans attached to an Add2PSU to turn on the HDPlex 400 to power Graphics Card. I think I might have to run dual power to case at the moment.

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
Got my hdplex ac-dc and while I need to figure how I'm going to mount it in my node, it seems to be able to handle whatever Player Unknown's Battlegrounds was doing to force a system shutdown. That's what I get for attempting to cut corners on a part of my psu...

Since the ac-dc unit is outside my case atm, from playing the game it gets hot. Too hot to hold my hand on it for more than a few seconds (still don't have a tool to actually measure it's temperature). Wouldn't this heat be bad for my pc if I had it inside the case?

Edit- to be totally fair it's more my fault than anything. The Rx480 Nitro is too thirsty for the hdplex with a 330 brick or their 300 ac-dc unit. I don't have the money to order a brick from the user here that makes one (can't remember his username). But since I built a pc for my brother with a 960 ssc in it I'll use that with it and now I can say I've had no further issues.

Last edited:

soundch3z

What's an ITX?
Sep 6, 2017
I had the same problem with my Setup, (i7 7700k , GA-Z270N-WIFI, 1070 Turbo, HDPLEX400 ) , and after looking at the BIOS configuration a found two options that helped me , I think that maybe there's some residual current or something like that after shutting down the computer and/or charging USB while shutt down its causing a conflict keeping the system running , so I enable this two options '"ErP" and "Power Loading" and now it is shutting down correctly, Hope it helps.

ERP = Determines whether to let the system consume least power in S5 (shutdown) state. (Default: Disabled) Note: When this item is set to Enabled, the following functions will become unavailable: Resume by Alarm, PME event wake up, power on by mouse, power on by keyboard, and wake on LAN.

Power Loading = Enables or disables dummy load. When the power supply is at low load, a self-protection will activate causing it to shutdown or fail. If this occurs, please set to Enabled. Auto lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting. (Default: Auto)

fatface

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 7, 2017
Just got my hd plex 400w and i have a big issue. With everything connected correctly i can power up my pc but the pc will nexver power off. Using the switch or windows 10 to shutdown the pc acts as if i requested a restart.the hdplex will shutdown the led goes from orange to blue then right back to orange and powers the pc back on. The only way i can shut it off is to pull power from the pc. Im using the dell 330w power brick. Mobo is a
GA Z170N. the mobo powers down fine on my old psu. I beleive my psu is a lemon.

I had the same issue, strangely enough what actually fixed it was changing my boot hard-drive from MBR to GPT. I think it may have something to do with the way fast boot works.

Reactions: lac29

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Now that we have a larger external brick available with the Eurocom 780W (as expensive and impractical as it is), are there plans to release a higher wattage HDPlex? 500W would enable a 1080 Ti + X299 CPU in an S4 Mini or another <5L case. Not exactly recommended, but right now power is the bottleneck for something like that to work, unless you use G-Unique.

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
Now that we have a larger external brick available with the Eurocom 780W (as expensive and impractical as it is), are there plans to release a higher wattage HDPlex? 500W would enable a 1080 Ti + X299 CPU in an S4 Mini or another <5L case. Not exactly recommended, but right now power is the bottleneck for something like that to work, unless you use G-Unique.
Since HDplex themselves sell AC-DC units as well, it is reasonable that they prefer customs to buy from them rather than from someone else. But their largest brick now is only 300w. So I suppose their next step is to make some larger bricks to pair with the 400w DC-ATX.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

Not to keep whoring myself, but I will be releasing the KMPKT Dynamo and Dynamo Mini combo sometime in October/November and it will handle 560W combined.