Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

mirekti

Cable Smoosher
Jul 28, 2017
I'm trying to remember, I used to have that same problem.

I don't think there's help for this unless some HW is changed. It is pretty much straight forward.
On fist attempt PC is able to turn on. I've been using it this way for three days and didn't notice any instability once it is powered on.
The problem arises once the PC is shut down from the OS. It seems the PSU behaves correctly its led changes from orange to blue, however, it is not possible to power it on again by using a power button. The only way to do so is to either unplug the DC from the PSU or to remove 24pin ATC cable and plug it back in. It seems to me unplugging either of these cables resets something in connection between the MBO and PSU and I am able to power it on again. What exactly gets reset in this case or doesn't reset if the cables are left plugged in, I am not sure of.

Thanks for helping out, though.

PS I only use MBO, CPU and one SSD (no graphic card at this moment).

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
It seems I have not luck with HDPlex400. I just tried out the newly ordered one and the behavior is the same i.e. not able to power on the machine after it was shut down from the OS.
I guess I will have to wait for some future version of it and try then. Unfortunately there is no other PSU options for me at this moment and I have to stick to HDPlex300. It remains a mystery to me why 300W version is compatible, but 400W isn't.

:/ sorry your still having issues even with the new unit.

Still kinda curious if you tried out wiring the switch up to the PSU instead of the mobo since it seems to be an issue with how the mobo is handling turning on the PSU.

I'm not the expert though, just thought it'd be one last thing to try.

Reactions: Biowarejak

mirekti

Cable Smoosher
Jul 28, 2017
Still kinda curious if you tried out wiring the switch up to the PSU instead of the mobo since it seems to be an issue with how the mobo is handling turning on the PSU.

Not sure what exactly you meant with this, connecting pins 15 and 16 together?
On the other hand, I am not sure this would tell me anything as I have old HDPlex300W and there are no issues at all.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Not sure what exactly you meant with this, connecting pins 15 and 16 together?

I was referring to wiring the switch up to the extra PS_ON pins that the HDPlex 400w has, as highlighted in this pic:

On the other hand, I am not sure this would tell me anything as I have old HDPlex300W and there are no issues at all.

True, just was curious if doing it that way would solve your issue.

EDIT: Grammars...

Last edited:

SIEGEX

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
Not sure what to say I have guryhwa arch deamon limited edition and it is beautiful. It completely removes cable clutter since it is a 24 pin psu. You do need to mod the S4 mini case which is the only reason I am currently not using it and also cause I haven't upgraded to a 1080ti. It can handle more work than the hdplex.

The hdplex 300 I used and had coil whine only when stretched to the limit at 300w. All the cables we're not black but the 24pin cable came with a rainbow sleeve which was nice.

The hdplex400 is a different level of beauty when compared to the 300w. No coil whine but it is possible I haven't push it hard enough. All the cables are black thank god so no painting needed.

Not overheating issues with any of them. They all worked in powering my 7700k and gtx 1080. I guess someone can go into more depth and test the efficiency on them. Not sure what else you would test.

I'm going to buy from guryhwa still trying to a case that suits though

LennonNZ

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 7, 2017
I have a HD-Plex 400 and AC-DC Converter as supplied by hdplex connected to the same motherboard (Asrock Z270 ITX/ac)

I have the same problem. The First time I turn it on it works 100% but if I turn it off it will not turn on again unless I remove the power . The same problem as mirekti. The Board is a Z270 (similar to the Z170 board) and I have tried a few other power supplies and they work 100%.

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
Does the 400w hdplex have a temperature probe that can be read by the system? Playing PUBG yesterday something overheated and shut my system down this being the first time I've played PUBG with the hdplex in my node202.

I'm not even sure if it was an overheat issue, but it makes the most sense to me as I have a 8g sapphire 480 without additional fans in front of the gpu so maybe the heat and power draw of the gpu were too much and caused the hdplex or gpu to send a system halt signal.

Hopefully next week I can try again with the case open and a temperature reader if I can find the one my dad says he has to see what went wrong.

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
I had a sapphire rx480 nitro that would have hard shutdown my system while playing wow, when the card would boost. Had to rma it to sapphire. Was just a sudden shut down black screen, no error codes no blue screen no nothing.

SIEGEX

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
I had a sapphire rx480 nitro that would have hard shutdown my system while playing wow, when the card would boost. Had to rma it to sapphire. Was just a sudden shut down black screen, no error codes no blue screen no nothing.
Sounds like HdPlex have an issue, one of them seemingly spiking components. I tried finding a review on it. Nothing to date so far and it's not been listed on Amazon. So it's possible they'll have to recall till issues are fixed.

Glad I didn't pull the plug on 1 yet.....as v.1. Usually sucks anyway

Julio Espinosa

Caliper Novice
Jul 17, 2017
Does the 400w hdplex have a temperature probe that can be read by the system? Playing PUBG yesterday something overheated and shut my system down this being the first time I've played PUBG with the hdplex in my node202.

I'm not even sure if it was an overheat issue, but it makes the most sense to me as I have a 8g sapphire 480 without additional fans in front of the gpu so maybe the heat and power draw of the gpu were too much and caused the hdplex or gpu to send a system halt signal.

Hopefully next week I can try again with the case open and a temperature reader if I can find the one my dad says he has to see what went wrong.
What CPU are you using? OC?
What AC-DC adapter are you using?
Since RX 480 pulls the same wattage as the GTX 1070 and would like to know before buying.

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Replacement card didn't do it, neither does 1070 mini. I ended up just getting rid of the 480 as I was having a lot of issues with it.

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
What CPU are you using? OC?
What AC-DC adapter are you using?
Since RX 480 pulls the same wattage as the GTX 1070 and would like to know before buying.

I don't have an oc on my cpu at the moment since I really don't like the layout of my biostar mobo, and I have an Ryzen 1600 + noctua I9a with a 90mm fan. An OC might help for building Android/ emulating non-pc games I just havn't set one cause I'm lazy/forgetful. Same with the 480 other than a custom fan curve that is stock so I should setup some under-volting to see if that calms it down.

As for the ac-dc adapter, its this one but the seller was including a different/incorrect adapter from the brick to the outlet/wall I thought it was a screw up on my order but I guess not so I'm using a cable from my corsair 450 from the brick to the wall.

Finder583

What's an ITX?
Aug 26, 2017
Just got one here.

I'm using the Dell XM3C3, but the motherboard just won't turn on. I made all the branching with HDPLEX cables, tried put thz power switch pin on the PSU or the motherboard without success.

Best I went so far was a blue LED on the PSU which turned to orange if I keep pressing the power switch button (with the pin being on the PSU). After that it went back to blue without powering on the motherboard. Also, I noted that only the graphic card fan was active when I kept pressing.

So far, huge dissappointment.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
How is the height of this DC-ATX unit measured?

According to the official source, the overall height is 30mm, but i guess it's a little bit less, except for those coil encapsulations. If it's not too much of an annoyance, I'd be grateful to anyone who could provide me with a more accurate measurement of the unit, especially the 'non-bulky' area around the coils.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
How is the height of this DC-ATX unit measured?

According to the official source, the overall height is 30mm, but i guess it's a little bit less, except for those coil encapsulations. If it's not too much of an annoyance, I'd be grateful to anyone who could provide me with a more accurate measurement of the unit, especially the 'non-bulky' area around the coils.

25mm from backplate to "HDPLEX" exngraved cover plate, 30mm from backplate to the top of the coils.

I highly doubt it will matter to many (if any) but the 51.5 height becomes about 54mm when the cables are plugged in due the the locking mechanisms. If you're making a case (as I am) and planning for the case height/thickness to be only just enough to accommodate the hdplex then please account for this in your design.

On a separate note, if I'm planning on making my own cable set, all wires basically go from from one location to the same location connector to connector? That seems to be the case with my cable set, however the wires are a bit tangled so figured I'd confirm here as I may be mistaken.

Reactions: royalba94

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
25mm from backplate to "HDPLEX" engraved cover plate, 30mm from backplate to the top of the coils.

I highly doubt it will matter to many (if any) but the 51.5 height becomes about 54mm when the cables are plugged in due to the locking mechanisms. If you're making a case (as I am) and planning for the case height/thickness to be only just enough to accommodate the hdplex then please account for this in your design.

On a separate note, if I'm planning on making my own cable set, all wires basically go from one location to the same location connector to connector? That seems to be the case with my cable set, however, the wires are a bit tangled so figured I'd confirm here as I may be mistaken.

Great work, thanks for the measurements :)

As for the pinout question, on the 24pin the wires go from the same pin number on one end to the same pin number on the other end. so you will end up with wires crossing over each other no matter what you do. There is a double crimp needed (two wires going to the same pin) on the PCIe header but other than that it's just one wire per pin.

Reactions: BeerNsoup

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
25mm from backplate to "HDPLEX" exngraved cover plate, 30mm from backplate to the top of the coils.

I highly doubt it will matter to many (if any) but the 51.5 height becomes about 54mm when the cables are plugged in due the the locking mechanisms. If you're making a case (as I am) and planning for the case height/thickness to be only just enough to accommodate the hdplex then please account for this in your design.

On a separate note, if I'm planning on making my own cable set, all wires basically go from from one location to the same location connector to connector? That seems to be the case with my cable set, however the wires are a bit tangled so figured I'd confirm here as I may be mistaken.

I'm just figuring ways to accommodate the DC-ATX unit inside the TT-SD101. Without the hardware in hand, i'm just speculating if there's room enough betwen the front covering and the 'actual' hard metal case.

Main plan so far is to put the 300W AC-DC right on the PSU spot and route the DC-ATX custom cables over/through the 5,25" bay.

What do you think?

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Great work, thanks for the measurements :)

As for the pinout question, on the 24pin the wires go from the same pin number on one end to the same pin number on the other end. so you will end up with wires crossing over each other no matter what you do. There is a double crimp needed (two wires going to the same pin) on the PCIe header but other than that it's just one wire per pin.

Ah, thanks for that. I had checked a while ago and had been thinking of doing 4-6 wires to a sleeve (gonna use hockey laces as sleeving for a Canadian touch lol), and had determined that the sleeves will be okay to go straight across without twisting around each other. They will be able to go straight across, but inside the sleeving I'll have to have the wires swap which level of the connector they meet on the other side. Thanks!

Edit: should clarify, the cable going straight across without twisting will be one connector's locking mechanism on the top to the other connector's locking mechanism on the bottom. But with the the orientation of the motherboard connector this will be required anyway.

I was actually just curious about the 24pin connector. It's much easier to see what's going on with the other connectors with so few wires, and I was aware of the double crimp. None the less thank you for mentioning it as I didn't specify. If I hadn't been aware and just barreled ahead I'm sure you'd have saved me A LOT of trouble!

Last edited:
Reactions: royalba94

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
I'm just figuring ways to accommodate the DC-ATX unit inside the TT-SD101. Without the hardware in hand, i'm just speculating if there's room enough betwen the front covering and the 'actual' hard metal case.

Main plan so far is to put the 300W AC-DC right on the PSU spot and route the DC-ATX custom cables over/through the 5,25" bay.

What do you think?

Honestly very hard to say without internal measurements :/. gonna look up a bit on this case... give me a min.

Edit: Given that the case only supports half height cards, I think the included 180W PSU should be quite sufficient. You're basically limited to a 1050ti. What are you planning on using that would require the hdplex+300W ac-dc? Very cool components but seems an unnecessary extra cost and added complexity given the component limitations of the case.

Last edited:

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Honestly very hard to say without internal measurements :/. gonna look up a bit on this case... give me a min.

Edit: Given that the case only supports half height cards, I think the included 180W PSU should be quite sufficient. You're basically limited to a 1050ti. What are you planning on using that would require the hdplex+300W ac-dc? Very cool components but seems an unnecessary extra cost and added complexity given the component limitations of the case.

The PSU is not reliable at all. I'm having screen crashes here and there.

I'm using one i5-6600t + 1050ti, but the 12v rail can handle only 10 amps and that's exactly where the bottleneck kicks in.