Power Supply HDPlex 400w random restarts

TheDrewscriver

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
All,

Facing a weird problem with my HDPlex 400w dc psu and 300w ac-dc adapter. My PC keeps randomly restarting. Sometimes its when the PC is cold, and I just started running Overwatch, sometimes its when I have been gaming for an hour. Anyone experienced this before?

Specs : i7 6700k, with a L9i cooler. GTX 1070 ITX, set to 80% power draw. One 120mm fan.

This does not happen with my ATX Psu, and this is becoming a giant pain. Thought it was due to power draw, but running furmark +CPU stress at the same time doesnt do squat to it.

Any suggestions? Should I RMA the PSU?

Gutzy

Caliper Novice
Mar 11, 2018
Try logging your hardware statistics with HWinfo just before attempting to replicate what you believe are conditions that manifest the shutdown ( over watch, 1-hr gaming sessions, etc) and during your Furmark + CPU stress tests and compare the differences.

If the system shuts down, the log should save data relatively close to the point of shutdown and give you an idea what may be the issue.
Check for power draw numbers and see how close you are getting to your AC Adapters max rating.

This may sound trivial, but if you were fine on this exact setup previously, and suddenly have been having this issue with the same game, plug your system directly into the wall outlet vs a surge suppressor/protector, or even a different wall outlet all together and try replicating the issue ( while logging with hwinfo of course) to rule out a failing surge protector or inefficient wall outlet.

If you are overclocking cpu/gpu/memory revert to stock settings and see if the problem still persist and/or try lowering graphic/frame-rate settings in game and check your results.

I've had shutdowns occur in game that I couldn't replicate while running benchmarks/stress tests within the same time frame (exp. game shuts down PC in matter of minutes while stress tests would take much longer if ever).

Hope this helps.

TheDrewscriver

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
Try logging your hardware statistics with HWinfo just before attempting to replicate what you believe are conditions that manifest the shutdown ( over watch, 1-hr gaming sessions, etc) and during your Furmark + CPU stress tests and compare the differences.

If the system shuts down, the log should save data relatively close to the point of shutdown and give you an idea what may be the issue.
Check for power draw numbers and see how close you are getting to your AC Adapters max rating.

This may sound trivial, but if you were fine on this exact setup previously, and suddenly have been having this issue with the same game, plug your system directly into the wall outlet vs a surge suppressor/protector, or even a different wall outlet all together and try replicating the issue ( while logging with hwinfo of course) to rule out a failing surge protector or inefficient wall outlet.

If you are overclocking cpu/gpu/memory revert to stock settings and see if the problem still persist and/or try lowering graphic/frame-rate settings in game and check your results.

I've had shutdowns occur in game that I couldn't replicate while running benchmarks/stress tests within the same time frame (exp. game shuts down PC in matter of minutes while stress tests would take much longer if ever).

Hope this helps.

Damn, that is extremely detailed. Gonna give it a shot tonight. Have already arranged for a RMA meanwhile. This is a damn weird problem.