Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Kmpkt @Josh | NFC I would definately be interested in an external version of this available on the sfflab store.

When I get mine I am going to do testing, figure out what GPUs can run off it so I can make recommendations to my customers, and then I want to build a kit or offer a conversion service where I make it a beautiful external brick.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
When I get mine I am going to do testing, figure out what GPUs can run off it so I can make recommendations to my customers, and then I want to build a kit or offer a conversion service where I make it a beautiful external brick.
I personally think this could be huge. One of the more difficult factors I think to someone new to the SFF scene is deciding on a power brick. Given the price of this thing, and it's stated performance, I think it will make the S4 mini and other builds requiring external power even more attractive and easy to build.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I personally think this could be huge. One of the more difficult factors I think to someone new to the SFF scene is deciding on a power brick. Given the price of this thing, and it's stated performance, I think it will make the S4 mini and other builds requiring external power even more attractive and easy to build.

Indeed. I have high hopes and believe it to be game changing if it can match the LA330PM160 in performance. That's my goal/wish for it.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017

I noticed this on HDPLEX's website: https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-400w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html

Is this what we are talking about?

Also, would it be possible to make an external enclosure for it that utilized an extruded aluminum, so that perhaps the enclosure could help with cooling it, so the 40mm fan wouldn't be necessary?

Is the 40mm fan a Noctua? https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a4x10-pwm/specification

I would love the option to buy the AC/DC and DC/DC equipment directly through the SFFLAB store, instead of having to go around the web to find things that work.

Last edited:

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
@Josh | NFC I made this model in sketchup online. You should be able to just click the link to see the model without downloading or installing any software.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mo...LEX-400w-AC-DC-PSU-Extruded-Aluminum-Heatsink

I was thinking of something like this to go around the PSU. Then put like a cap on each end. Maybe with say a standard C14 connector on one end, so you can use any PC power cable to plug into it (in case you forgot, or lost yours). Then maybe the GX16 connector on the other end so we can use these cables with it to connect to the chassis: http://nfc-systems.com/shop-all/aviation-connectors

I made it cylindrical because i thought it would be cool to have it be like a fat cable, instead of a "brick", if that makes sense. It would make it stand out, and be less "boring box" sort of thing.

If i could get THIS, from the SFFLAB store, 400w, no fan, i would spend a very shiny penny for them, and i think they would sell like hotcakes.

I really feel like the power supply "issue" keeps a lot of people away from cases like this. I think if it was easier, all in one place, more plug n play and less hunt n peck through schematics on the net, that a lot more people would be willing to go this route.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Honestly man the technical barrier here has probably saved some people from getting hurt. I'm not saying that the options we have now aren't safe, but that they need to be implemented safely by the end user.

Besides, hunting through spec sheets is half the fun! ;)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Okay so here's a video I was sent today of the 400W undergoing stress testing (Larry asked me to share it):

The supply has been tested passively with a draw of up to 400W and could sustain this load for an hour without issue. Thermals were on the high side without a fan, but obviously active cooling will make a big difference. In this particular video, Superposition at 8K for some reason wasn't able to max the 1080ti but it was done in subsequent tests.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Okay so here's a video I was sent today of the 400W undergoing stress testing (Larry asked me to share it):

The supply has been tested passively with a draw of up to 400W and could sustain this load for an hour without issue. Thermals were on the high side without a fan, but obviously active cooling will make a big difference. In this particular video, Superposition at 8K for some reason wasn't able to max the 1080ti but it was done in subsequent tests.
Yeah, weird the max temps for the 1080ti were ~50 degrees celcius in the vid. But promising nonetheless.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017

Do you happen to know what was making that buzzing sound? Was it just background noise, or the microphone, or was it the PSU?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
@Josh | NFC This makes a lot of sense as an external brick, but how would this work inside an S4M? The fastest card you can get that is standard height and not too long is the Galax 1070 which is impossible to find in the US. So other than that, your talking about 1060 builds. This seems like overkill for that sort of thing, or am i missing something?

Reactions: Obelisk

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
@Josh | NFC I made a model with the end caps on the heatsink. Again, you don't need to download or install any software to view this, just click the link. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mo...-DC-PSU-Extruded-Aluminum-Heatsink-w-End-Caps

It's 80mm in diameter, and 230mm long with the end caps.

I thought that perhaps the end caps could be 3d printed with the printer you have. I was thinking of leaving the heatsink silver, and have the end caps be black to match the black/silver look of the S4M-C i have. I requested a quote to see how much the extruded aluminum heatsink would be, awaiting a response back. I may get one of these for myself even if they don't become the standard option.

Last edited: