Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

19NinetySix

Trash Compacter
Jun 28, 2018
@19NinetySix , this psu is none more dangerous than your ol' regular atx psu. As @Thehack said, ground your case.

Thanks for replay, how would I go about grounding the s4m case?

Also could someone point out the dangers or draw backs of just using it ungrounded with s4m?
in uk we have a 3rd prong on our plugs for ground.

Totaly confused with what I need to do to if putting this in s4m to avoid any danger of electrical shock. (mainly to my kids or other people) Sorry if these qestions sound stupid i'm cluless on this :\
software is my area.

Just want to make sure my build is safe for uk usage, any input is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: royalba94

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So I've spoken to Larry at HDPlex and the C8 connector that will be included with the 400W AC-DC will do 2.5A on 220V and 6.0A on 120V. It will also be EMF shielded like the C14 he currently includes with his AC-DC units.

Considering the concerns with the grounding wires and the lack of this feature in the S4M, would there be substantial interest in a C6 adapter kit for the S4M? I am thinking that I could offer a 3D printed assembly that would use the circular and square mounting points on the S4M for purchase and would provide a housing for a C6 to ELP-03V adapter cable.

19NinetySix

Trash Compacter
Jun 28, 2018
So, when people say the S4M does not support ground are they just referring to the C8 conector its made to be used with out the box?

And the solution is to mod and use C6 connector which I assume supports ground as mentioned above?

If so, why use C8? is the ground thing only an issue in places like UK as are plugs have a 3rd pin for ground unlike US etc? Someone please put me straight on this :thumb:

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
So, when people say the S4M does not support ground are they just referring to the C8 conector its made to be used with out the box?

And the solution is to mod and use C6 conector which I asume suports ground as mentioned above?

If so, why use C8? is the ground thing only an issue in places like UK as are plugs have a 3rd pin for ground unlike US etc?
Someone please put me straight on this :thumb:

The grounding pin is useful in general for any device that "mains" reach. The issue is the C6 (3 prong) will not fit the S4 mini out of the box, and it is included with the HDPLEX 400.

1. The S4 needs to be modified (cut, or other means)
2. The C6 should be the default "small" plug.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

And the solution is to mod and use C6 connector which I assume supports ground as mentioned above?

If so, why use C8? is the ground thing only an issue in places like UK as are plugs have a 3rd pin for ground unlike US etc? Someone please put me straight on this :thumb:

Check out this video especially when he talks about earthing:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks for the replys its cleared most of it up, just one last thing

^ What's the reason for this? just easier to fit?

There are two type of small ac plugs: C6 and C8. The difference is that C6 includes a ground prong and C8 is ungrounded. They are similar in size and profile but C6 requires a slightly bigger cutout.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
As an additional note, that I have overlooked:

The S4 mini exterior is mostly NOT conductive. I have forgotten that Lian Li uses anodized finish, which means it is nonconductive.

Anodized finished aluminum may be considered an insulator if it is a high quality specced finish. The only way to know for sure that it is considered an insulator is through HIPOT testing (high potential). I found a good article which goes over this:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/hipot-testing-dielectric-strength-test-space-power/

The gist of this is we apply a stupid amount of electrical potential to the insulation layer, and test to see if it leaks to a separate part. It requires fairly expensive equipment.

Further more, I started a separate thread to details electrical safety, which Josh recommended for the community:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/electrical-safety-thread.8108/

If you are an electrical/electronics engineer, or a safety minded individual, the thread is open to discussion and improvement, and will serve as a basic guide to proper electrical safety with a focus on the SFF community.

19NinetySix

Trash Compacter
Jun 28, 2018
I am thinking that I could offer a 3D printed assembly that would use the circular and square mounting points on the S4M for purchase and would provide a housing for a C6 to ELP-03V adapter cable.

Do you have anything drawn up for this on how it might look on the S4M? This sounds a great idea

Last edited:

Naavjames

Trash Compacter
Mar 17, 2018
So I've spoken to Larry at HDPlex and the C8 connector that will be included with the 400W AC-DC will do 2.5A on 220V and 6.0A on 120V. It will also be EMF shielded like the C14 he currently includes with his AC-DC units.

Considering the concerns with the grounding wires and the lack of this feature in the S4M, would there be substantial interest in a C6 adapter kit for the S4M? I am thinking that I could offer a 3D printed assembly that would use the circular and square mounting points on the S4M for purchase and would provide a housing for a C6 to ELP-03V adapter cable.

Take my money now good sir. I’ve been sitting on my build waiting for this release. I’d much prefer this over modifying and defiling my gorgeous S4M case.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Been waiting since march on this, hopefully the supply to the German warehouse goes smoothly without to much delay over the US supply's.

@Kmpkt the 3D printed assembly, is this something you would add externally of the S4M casing?

Reactions: Biowarejak

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
Woah. This thread got real.

Just dropping by to say that I have purchased multiple products from Larry at HDPLEX and they have all been high quality. Larry provides great customer service and I would recommend his products to friends.

Noob question. Is the fan required or an optional cooling feature?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Woah. This thread got real.

Just dropping by to say that I have purchased multiple products from Larry at HDPLEX and they have all been high quality. Larry provides great customer service and I would recommend his products to friends.

Noob question. Is the fan required or an optional cooling feature?

For up to 300W but required for above 300W.

Reactions: Julio Espinosa

Selendipitous

Chassis Packer
Apr 21, 2018
Is that a minus sign? If so, yes you're right you're missing 9 mm. Plus cables and harness. I think the new ac-dc is meant to go width-wise 'beside' the gpu. Higher end cards tend to go for length rather than girth *ahem* that's what she said

Yep, it's a minus sign! Oh man, I completely blanched on the existence of cables. That's a good thing to note, thanks. And ha! That's what she said, indeed. Length isn't everything! It's how you use what you've got ;)

If the card is overheight then the 400W AC-DC can be mounted to the front of the case.

If the card is spec height (111.15mm) then the 400W can be mounted to the bottom of the case in the allotted AC-DC mounting location.

Thanks for the clarification! If I may bother you a bit more.. I'm confused on which parts of the case you mean by "front" and "bottom." Which orientation are you referring to?

I'm a bit lost myself as to which I'd need, having little knowledge in the way of electronics outside of LED circuits for cosplay, but if the C8 doesn't work out for me (and I am not sure how I'd know if it doesn't), an adaptor kit would be great! I don't have the tools or know-how to safely mod metal.

Reactions: Soul_Est