Motherboard GIGABYTE AB350N-Gaming WIFI

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I actually think Nand drives remember info even when you delete the partition in the Windows setup and reinstall over the top.

You can hit "Shift + F10" while in the installer to open a command prompt then use the Diskpart clean command to clear all partitions, MFT, bootloader, etc. https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html

clean /all does a secure wipe but that's unnecessary for a SSD you're just doing a reinstall on unless you need to for security purposes.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
also amd chipset drivers, you can get them from the appcenter for the mobo or from AMD's website directly.

Homerlovesbeer

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2017
I am amazed at the issues you are running into. The board has been rock stable with W10Pro for me, F1 / F3 bios. 2133/OC2400 ECC memory.

Worst part has been the Gigabyte APP center, what feels amateurish at best. Did you consider down clocking the memory to see if this solves your issues?

Yep I was amazed also!

BUT......It was all windows! Grrrr

I can happily report that the system is now completely stable at 3.9Ghz and 3200Mhz on the ram with factory timings of 14-14-14-31

I have not tried any higher clock speeds.

I only had to do a small voltage increase to 1.3V and have run Cinebench R15 successfully several times resulting in best of 1293 (Ryzen 1600 processor).

Idle temps around 34 Degrees C

All packed into a Silverstone SG13 case, Corsair H75 watercooled, 3.5 HD and a Samsung Evo 960. Current graphics card is a RX460 with an RX580 card on the way.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Cheers,
Homer

Reactions: confusis

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Yep I was amazed also!

BUT......It was all windows! Grrrr

I can happily report that the system is now completely stable at 3.9Ghz and 3200Mhz on the ram with factory timings of 14-14-14-31

I have not tried any higher clock speeds.

I only had to do a small voltage increase to 1.3V and have run Cinebench R15 successfully several times resulting in best of 1293 (Ryzen 1600 processor).

Idle temps around 34 Degrees C

All packed into a Silverstone SG13 case, Corsair H75 watercooled, 3.5 HD and a Samsung Evo 960. Current graphics card is a RX460 with an RX580 card on the way.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Cheers,
Homer

very similar to mine;p, if u are using an sfx psu I recomend you make 2 holes in the atx psu edge and place an 80mm above the vrm, and you also have room for a 50mm fan exhaust to the left of the psu right above the gpu. and you can also go for a slim fan to the right side for exhaust.

Homerlovesbeer

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2017
Hey thanks.

I used an ATX psu so not much room for fans, although due to low voltage increases it runs quite cool.

I mounted the psu fan intake "upside down" to draw hot air away from the motherboard and VRM chips and to vent out the psu. I initially mounted the psu with the fan intaking from the top but thought mounting it the other way would help with airflow.

With the twin fans on the radiator at the front and the system set up like this airflow seems decent and temps are good.

Out of curiosity this morning I upped the clock to 3.95Ghz without touching the voltage (still at 1.3v) and ran cinebench R15 3 times in a row without any dramas.

Pretty happy now :)

Someone got the 3600 HOF modules running on the motherboard using the XMP profile, which is fantastic.
The motherboard does have AGESA 1.0.0.6 bios so memory compatibility should improve over time i guess.
I bought these 3200 sticks from Newegg the other day, they were 11% off, and look like nice AMD style ram from Team, who like to use Samsung B-die :)
I'm hoping they will be Sammy B, timings are 14-14-14-31

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313711

Same RAM modules as I'm using which are working flawlessly at 3200 Mhz.

My PCMark 10 score with my RX460 2GB card currently installed. Not sure if it's good or not but the result was 5008
http://www.3dmark.com/pcm10b/58684

Last edited:
Reactions: Acalanata

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I would if I could, but #ethics and not using a review sample for personal workstation :|

Cycle Guy

Efficiency Noob
Jun 19, 2017
Nobody else done any builds on this yet?
I finally got my build up on the weekend. I must say, one of the easiest builds I have done. The M.2 slot worked great, paired it with an A12-9800 (waiting for the new APU's like everyone else) and 16gb of Team memory.
Using a top down cooler and having no heat issues. All in all, a great little board. Yes the layout might not be for everyone, but I'm using a Hoojum Cubit 3 case with a pico psu and it works fine.

brianbrain

Case Bender
Aug 18, 2017
I was trying to hold out for a direct comparison of the Gigabyte vs ASRock VRM design, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Gigabyte board for USB 3.1 and to avoid any VRM heatsink replacement headaches. Will be assembling a new Ryzen 7 1700 build in a Raijintek Metis Plus and plan on overclocking for 24x7 use. Based on VRM temp concerns, I picked up a Noctua NF-A4x10, which I plan on mounting right on top of the VRM heatsink. Looking forward to reporting back with results :thumb:

Reactions: Ares

Ares

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 16, 2017
Good idea! Do let us know how it went, I might use the same solution and go with Gigabyte's board after all.

Homerlovesbeer

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2017
Honestly, my VRM temps with my overclock are a non issue. I think it's an excellent board (that my other half is using for web browsing and emails lol).

Ares

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 16, 2017
I've got one more question regarding this board: Say i want to build a media server with 4 HDDs and 1 NVMe SSD, will they all work simultaneously on this motherboard? I believe I've read somewhere that b350 chipset does not allow that, only 2 HHDs and M.2 SSD can work on it at the same time, is that true?
Thanks in advance for the replies!

hsn

Case Bender
Aug 21, 2017
i love this board ...
but why wrong read voltage?

when enable xmp (1.35v) on hardwre monitor 1.4v

djcostcosamples

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
i love this board ...
but why wrong read voltage?

when enable xmp (1.35v) on hardwre monitor 1.4v

I was just going to ask that question, since I'm having difficulty getting B-die RAM to work @ rated speeds of 3200 CL14-14-14-34. I've always assumed that the sensors were correct and set my voltage to 1.3-1.31 in BIOS which seems to run closest to 1.35V in HWiNFO.

Is the HWiNFO wrong? Am I actually only running my RAM at 1.3V?

Crimsonskar

Case Bender
New User
Aug 23, 2017
I too am having trouble getting my 3200mhz CL14 Gskill set to run stable at rated speeds, even on F3 bios. I bumped the SOC voltage to 1.2v and it helped to curb some of the BSODs I was getting, but they still happen infrequently and I have had to deal with some corrupted data. I backed the ram down to 2933mhz and I'm attempting an overnight run of Memtest64 and Aida64 Stress Test to see if that works.

So far things seem good on the CPU front with my 1800x @ 3.9ghz @ 1.38v holding steady at 54c load on my Corsair H110i

djcostcosamples

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
I too am having trouble getting my 3200mhz CL14 Gskill set to run stable at rated speeds, even on F3 bios. I bumped the SOC voltage to 1.2v and it helped to curb some of the BSODs I was getting, but they still happen infrequently and I have had to deal with some corrupted data. I backed the ram down to 2933mhz and I'm attempting an overnight run of Memtest64 and Aida64 Stress Test to see if that works.

So far things seem good on the CPU front with my 1800x @ 3.9ghz @ 1.38v holding steady at 54c load on my Corsair H110i

Let me know how that goes. I think some of my data got corrupted as well, have been having some minor issues with Windows ever since I tried to get the CL14 sticks working. I started a 10 pass run of Memtest before I went to work this morning @ 3200 CL16-16-16-35, so I'll let you know how that goes when I get off. I couldn't get the Galax HOF RAM to run at 3200 CL14 on this board or the ASRock X370, so I'm guessing I just lost the lottery when it came to the memory controller on the CPU... hopefully.

Crimsonskar

Case Bender
New User
Aug 23, 2017
So results seem positive at 2933. No errors after a 15 hour run with both AIDA64 cpu stress test and Memtest64 running. I bumped it back up to 3200mhz and got a black screen after about 7 minutes. Not sure what else to try at this point. Maybe bump up DRAM voltage a bit? Or wait for a newer BIOS with better memory compatibility?

Reactions: Phuncz

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I had to set xmp first on an MSI mortar B350. Then set ram voltage to manual and set 1.4v in bios that got my Hynix based Gskill kit at 3200 with that board. Also see if you can set 2T in the bios somewhere. That option is starting to appear on more boards and may help.

Same ram on my x370 Taichi is fine with xmp and go. However it totally falls apart if I mess with any of the timings at 3200.

Shot in the dark but something to try if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Moravid

Cable Smoosher
Jun 4, 2017
Try stress testing one stick at a time, yo should have no issue with 3200, I'm running 3466 CL16 and passed one hour of Google stressapp test