Prototype G-UNIQ ACDC, 7.7-8.5L Expandable Console Case

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Update 2019-08-25: PSU prototype received.

Update 2019-04-14: I got bit by the CNC bug, making this case via Extrusion and CNC.

Extrusion and CNC will give the most versatility for 2-3 sizes for this project. Thanks to an early backer, we should have enough MOQ to hit the same target price.

The following is Prototype 1 = design is not finalized, just testing thermals. I'm waiting for the Sidearmd T1 to finalized before starting this.

Background Story:
Met G-UNIQ guryhwa in mid 2017 and he showed me some power supply ideas. I am not an engineer, but the custom PSU kit looks just awesome - I wanted to put a better casing around his PSU creations. After many late night conversations, set backs, delays, interference, we are finally ready for prototype.

Here are some pictures of the G-UNIQ power kit inside an earlier prototype case:

Product highlights:

Comes in Anodized Silver and Anodized Black, WITH Window and NO Window variants.
The G-UNIQ Custom Power Supply kit looks awesome. it would be a crime not to have a window :p

Supports *two 120x15mm fans for intake by default. The Top Panel can lift to support *two 120x25mm fans, for high performance setups.

Rear I/O Chassis comes in 2 variants, supporting two different ways of mounting GPU.
3 PCIe slots for G-UNIQ special upgrade kits (will reveal later).
Supports ATX Motherboard with G-UNIQ Power Supply.
Supports Mini-ITX Motherboards with SFX Power Supply.

Dimensions: 72x308x346mm / 7.7L standard, Top Panel lifts to 80x308x346mm / 8.5L for *two 120x25mm fans
Motherboard: Mini-ITX, ATX (require G-UNIQ Passive Power Supply).
GPU: up to 300mm, 3 PCIe Slot thick.
Cooling: 58mm CPU cooler, 140 AIO (short GPU or external power brick).
Drive Support: Up to 3 2.5" drives.
Power Supply: SFX or G-UNIQ Power Supply

Past prototype:

Special thanks:
Necere for case layout and the ~7L console-style case thread.
Josh | NFC for collaboration on Skyreach 4 Mini, exchanging ideas on GPU flip bracket.
guryhwa for the power supply kit.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Interesting with the PCB and the ATX support, I'd like to see more on that last one !

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
As compact as possible and yet stylish ATX body - this is exactly what I'm looking for!

But I very much ask you to think about compatibility with a full-fledged power supply. Perhaps, something non-typical, as used in Project Orthrus.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So just to be clear the GUNIQ AC-DC solution is that broad PCB attached to the three HDDs?

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
Say more, say more...

CPU cooler compatibility? Any prototype test setups done already? Looks like a flexible riser setup? Is the GPU also size limited by sfx vs guniq?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Say more, say more...

CPU cooler compatibility? Any prototype test setups done already? Looks like a flexible riser setup? Is the GPU also size limited by sfx vs guniq?

58mm CPU cooler, 140 AIO (short GPU or external power brick).

we already made 2 prototypes, but not the same case, similar.

GPU is not limited by power supply (SFX or G-UNIQ).

Reactions: Soul_Est

garou81

Chassis Packer
Feb 4, 2017
Whats behind the decision to incorporate atx motherboard support, it seems to defeat the purpose of a small form factor.

Kinda bummed that the chassis has gotten so big and the smaller case which did not suppoort full length gpu's has been abandoned

Reactions: whatanoob

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
Whats behind the decision to incorporate atx motherboard support, it seems to defeat the purpose of a small form factor.

Kinda bummed that the chassis has gotten so big and the smaller case which did not suppoort full length gpu's has been abandoned

@Wahaha360 , i agree with garou81.

can you please consider reducing size to around 7.0L ??

Reactions: whatanoob

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

@Wahaha360 , i agree with garou81.

can you please consider reducing size to around 7.0L ??

+1 here too.

If you were to place a 7L console next to the current case, yes, it's appears a little thinner, but the difference in size, looking at it in person, is just too small considering the compromise (significant) on CPU cooling.

The mainstream flagship CPU, i9-9900K coming up is 95W - 130W+. There is also the 2700X. Even at the current size, I'm worried about the air cooler + dual 120x25mm fans cannot handle these CPUs and a RTX 2080, this is why I don't intend to make it smaller.

I have i9-7900X, about 140W without OC, similar to the i9-9900K TDP, I have tried it in multiple <10 liter cases, cooling the CPU is a problem. Since Intel is chasing AMD on more cores, and 10nm is prob not happening even in 2019, new CPUs for the next 2 years are likley high TDP.

I know delidding helps (prob not enough on i9), but I don't want to tell people to void their warranties. Also, rumor has it the 9900K coming up has soldered IHS, temps are prob worse than delid.

I did it for cooling, that's reason. I don't want a hot garbage case.

Last edited:

catpuke

Cable Smoosher
May 14, 2017
Love to see more progress!

I really appreciate small form factors on ATX boards, but if you can sneak in E-ATX.. That's even better!

htko89

Trash Compacter
Nov 22, 2017
This is a really intriguing design. I like how the window and the intake are the same size and symmetrical. It looks simple but I can already see a lot of thought in the design.

I know this is a crazy ask and a bit personal, but since people are asking for size changes: any chance you can reduce the case width to below 335mm? Ikea's kallax and expedit cube shelf openings are 335mm (13 1/4") in width :p I think it would look great inside one of these https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/series/27534/