Power Supply FSP FSP500-30AS Modular Flex PSU from GEEEK, anyone have one?

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
A few questions:
1) Did you just use 5V or 5Vsb for the Power Good pin or…?
2) Were the two red 5v wires the only soldering you did?
3) Did you just double/triple wire at certain pins at the adapter connectors as needed? ie. It looks like the two red 5v wires you soldered then went into five wires out of the adapter, correct? And similar done at the 10-pin adapter for the additional ground and 3.3v pins as needed?
1) I did not connect Power Good signal. Empty pin.
2) Yes, the red 5v was the only soldering. I scraped to bare copper to solder one of them. The other I attached where the inductor came through.
3) Yes, I crimped 2x wires for grounds and 3.3v, and one of the 5v. There are 3 wires going into the other 5v. The 12v just one wire per pin.

You could buy a 1 PSU to 2 motherboard adapter and re-pin it to avoid the crimping. But you would have a few wires you might need to cut to thin it out. (12v, PW ON, 5VSB). Another option is a straight 24-pin extension and soldering/shrink wrap a bunch of Y cables.

Now I feel silly because a good use of this supply would be a Lenovo workstation motherboard like the seriously loaded P520C M-ATX (PCIe from CPU: bifurcation x16*2, x8, M.2, M.2; that's 10x M.2 if you used 'HyperM.2' cards). They use a 14-pin with 3x 12v, 5 grounds, 5vsb, 5v, PW_ON (also a blank pin, PWR_OK, and -12v). So I'll need to make another adapter if I do that.

It's just slightly out of view in that picture :D we need to see the other side. Doesn't look like anything is there from the angle we have, so I'm also curious how it's working.
Not sure which part you needed to see XD. If it's PW_OK I did not wire anything to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: vinnyoflegend

Docop

Case Bender
New User
Aug 19, 2021
2) Yes, the red 5v was the only soldering. I scraped to bare copper to solder one of them. The other I attached where the inductor came through.
So to confirm, you solder 2 wire at 1 end of the inductor and one on this same pad of r119, for the 5v. Then you crimp on 1 wire: 3 extra and solder on the other with 2 extra and then feed the 5 location of the atx 24pin connector ?

And for the -12 v , you leave unconnect ?
Thanks on precision.

vinnyoflegend

Trash Compacter
Mar 18, 2022
Not sure which part you needed to see XD. If it's PW_OK I did not wire anything to it.
Yes, it was PWR_OK I was wondering about. I thought ATX spec on the motherboard side would require a high signal otherwise it would reset or shut off. I guess I will have to test this with an 24p extension by disconnecting the gray wire. Thanks!

Reactions: milesvw

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
So to confirm, you solder 2 wire at 1 end of the inductor and one on this same pad of r119, for the 5v. Then you crimp on 1 wire: 3 extra and solder on the other with 2 extra and then feed the 5 location of the atx 24pin connector ?

And for the -12 v , you leave unconnect ?
Thanks on precision.

Yes, Solder 2 Red wire, or as many as you feel you need; 4 is a good number, then its only 2 double crimps, a single and an extra for SSD usage. I use a cable already from bad power supply so I didn't need to crimp that.)

On 24-pin I need to double crimp many wires: 2x 3.3v, 4x Ground, 2x Red (one is a triple wire crimp).

Single crimps: 2x 12v, Pwr_ON, 5v Standby.

Reactions: dukedevil0

vinnyoflegend

Trash Compacter
Mar 18, 2022
I might have gotten carried away here, but on my test board at least, 11 wires packed into an ATX 20-pin connector works just fine (8-pin CPU cable is also plugged in of course)

You can see in the pic, one of the original 12v cables is not used, as ATX 20p only had a single connector dedicated to +12V. So I omitted it (that makes 9 from PSU + 2 5v).

PS-ON is green because I had a really difficult time de-pinning it, it's AWG24 so it snapped from the crimp. I soldered it to PS-ON green (I think it's 20 or 22 AWG) that was on that salvaged connector.

The voltages are within the 5% spec tolerance but seem to run a little high (12.19, 5.21 and 3.396) compared to other PSUs I've tried on this motherboard. Does anyone know what it would take to interface with the PMBUS to adjust these? Maybe one of those USB PMBUS dongles? It's mentioned here in this original press release:

https://www.fsp-group.com/en/news-97.html (Excerpt, bold+underline emphasis is mine)
The greatest feature of this 500 watt fully digital power supply (FSP500-30AS) is that users can monitor or adjust the output/input voltage, output/input current, total output power, and fan speed of the power supply itself through the PMBus firmware program; users can even fine-tune the protection configurations of the power, such as the triggering point for overvoltage protection (OVP) and overcurrent protection (OCP)

vinnyoflegend

Trash Compacter
Mar 18, 2022
Gotta test under load, that is totally within spec though.
That's a fair point, it was while under cinebench23, but it's only a Ryzen 7 5700G so only about 100w's of draw. I didn't take a multimeter reading at the time. When I first check with just pwr-on/ground shorted, an old radio shack multimeter read 5.15, 12.01, and 3.36

I'll also have to try with a discrete GPU loaded (with a GTX 970 on 350w Delta PSUs it would sag 12 down to 11.6 and 3.3v down to 3.2) .

I remember some reading somewhere 15-20 years ago that being on the high side of spec supposedly still caused accelerated wear/electromigration but maybe that's FUD/paranoia.

edit:
Dropped in a 2080 ti and just ran furmark +cinebench23 at the same time
12v: 12.048
5v: 5.18
3.3v: 3.36

Guess I'm not even making this thing sweat (haven't heard its fan kick on yet). 😎

edit2:
I feel the air, so it seems to be a quiet fan so far (below the noise of 4 Noctuas)

Last edited:

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
I'm thoroughly pleased with the quality for $30. I ran a SuperMicro X9DRD 7LNF with 2643v2 and 2x 32GB 14900 LRDIMM off it for a test. Worked well. I'm wondering if it can fit it in a Thermaltake Core G3 using this PSU the space saved over SFF to put a rack of some 1TB 7mm 2.5" drives for storage. The SuperMicro board has an onboard LSI RAID card with dual 8047 ports (those break out into 4x SATA/SAS each), and 6x SATA besides.

Seems like FUD for sure, considering laptops will run happily from 10v-20v depending on whether they are on a 3-cell battery or the charge cord. But a little extra voltage can be nice to keep the current down. I've heard of borderline video cards that run on PSU that are a little hotter 12.5+, and won't run as they dip below 12v.

Last edited:

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Finally got round to this. This is the internals originally from an FSP500-50FSPT a short live product, as it wasn't particularly reliable and had to many failures. Anyway as you can see most of the internals are the same similar except the daughter board that does have the 5V power posts. This PSU also failed ultimately and ended up back with us wth the customer taking ENP-7660B instead. Its from around 2017 and originally was in its flex ATX housing, but was moved into a short depth TFX PSU from a Seasonic power supply. Just a point of interest / observation.

Enquiries welcome if any one wants it for repairs or the housing which has a quiet fan.

back story here:

vinnyoflegend

Trash Compacter
Mar 18, 2022
Finally got round to this. This is the internals originally from an FSP500-50FSPT a short live product, as it wasn't particularly reliable and had to many failures. Anyway as you can see most of the internals are the same similar except the daughter board that does have the 5V power posts. This PSU also failed ultimately and ended up back with us wth the customer taking ENP-7660B instead. Its from around 2017 and originally was in its flex ATX housing, but was moved into a short depth TFX PSU from a Seasonic power supply. Just a point of interest / observation.

Enquiries welcome if any one wants it for repairs or the housing which has a quiet fan.

back story here:
That's pretty cool, I never thought about transplanting to use a bigger fan. I've been trying to find a flex to tfx bracket but I have yet to see one (mostly see TFX to other sizes). I was thinking of picking up an Antec VSK2000, for variety, to house the system I was fiddling with but I want to avoid picking up a TFX when I have 3 (now 4 😅 suitable flex PSUs on hand).

oneglory

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 24, 2024
I've recently stumbled upon this PSU and thread, and I'd like to know if this could be easily modified to run the proprietary Dell 6-pin in the Inspiron 3891 that's currently on its way to me. It's my understanding that Dell started prototyping ATX12VO which supplies only 12V to MOBO.

The size and price are piquing my interest.

oneglory

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 24, 2024
Whoops, I meant to tag @milesvw in my post above because you look like you're one of the ones who completed a conversion of this PSU. However, I'm a new user so I can't edit my post.

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
I've recently stumbled upon this PSU and thread, and I'd like to know if this could be easily modified to run the proprietary Dell 6-pin in the Inspiron 3891 that's currently on its way to me. It's my understanding that Dell started prototyping ATX12VO which supplies only 12V to MOBO.

The size and price are piquing my interest.
I would guess maybe? There are two ways to go: one is convert the 5V Standby to 12v with a voltage boost converter (I have done this for a Dell T3600 motherboard and an HP Z420).

Or 2nd option simply wire the standby and 12v to the PSU and have a separate switch from PW_ON to GND on the PSU to turn on the PSU (it appears there are such adapters on Amazon). If it boots up when you turn on the PSU, that's fine, but you may need to turn on the PSU, then the Motherboard with the normal button.

Not sure if this is same as yours, but double check yours with a voltmeter before attempting. It also appears you might need to bring a 5v PW_OK signal out, or use a voltage Buck/Drop circuit. Your motherboard may or may not need it. (I'm playing with a Lenovo that has a 14-pin, and it needed it to do a boot)

oneglory

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 24, 2024
I would guess maybe? There are two ways to go: one is convert the 5V Standby to 12v with a voltage boost converter (I have done this for a Dell T3600 motherboard and an HP Z420).

Or 2nd option simply wire the standby and 12v to the PSU and have a separate switch from PW_ON to GND on the PSU to turn on the PSU (it appears there are such adapters on Amazon). If it boots up when you turn on the PSU, that's fine, but you may need to turn on the PSU, then the Motherboard with the normal button.

Not sure if this is same as yours, but double check yours with a voltmeter before attempting. It also appears you might need to bring a 5v PW_OK signal out, or use a voltage Buck/Drop circuit. Your motherboard may or may not need it. (I'm playing with a Lenovo that has a 14-pin, and it needed it to do a boot)
So just to follow up. I did something, well tried to do something very similar to what you have here and the Dell motherboard was not having any of it. The OEM PSU had a +12vsb rail for 2 of the 6 pins and this FSP simply didn't.

vinnyoflegend

Trash Compacter
Mar 18, 2022
So just to follow up. I did something, well tried to do something very similar to what you have here and the Dell motherboard was not having any of it. The OEM PSU had a +12vsb rail for 2 of the 6 pins and this FSP simply didn't.
Were you shorting PWR_ON + Ground permanently or with a power switch connected directly to it? According to that thread, and the adapter they linked on Amazon that's what they did to essentially make the +12vdc always on like a +12v standby (which as you mentioned, the FSP doesn't have).

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
I bought one of these and didnt read the description.... dont want to do a lot of mods to get it working
It's a beast of a PSU. The only thing you absolutely need to do is solder 5v leads if you are running SATA drives or a regular ATX board (or get a DC/DC "PicoPSU").

dukedevil0

Cable Smoosher
Jan 18, 2024
It's a beast of a PSU. The only thing you absolutely need to do is solder 5v leads if you are running SATA drives or a regular ATX board (or get a DC/DC "PicoPSU").
Sounds like it's performing well for you then? That's great! How is the noise?

I haven't fussed around with soldering the 5v leads on mine yet....one of these days! I've been occupied with acquiring other parts for the build in meantime.

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
Sounds like it's performing well for you then? That's great! How is the noise?

I haven't fussed around with soldering the 5v leads on mine yet....one of these days! I've been occupied with acquiring other parts for the build in meantime.
I didn't run it long, that may change soon as I build either a dual 12-core (E5 2696/7) or a 12700KF system.
I recall it being very quiet, as in barely audible. But that's probably dependant on load/heat to some extent. Although I imagine you'd be hard pressed to have a hotter environment than the NUC it was destined for (basically a dual eGPU enclosure when you think about it)

leodawglu

Cable Smoosher
Jan 28, 2022
I might have gotten carried away here, but on my test board at least, 11 wires packed into an ATX 20-pin connector works just fine (8-pin CPU cable is also plugged in of course)

You can see in the pic, one of the original 12v cables is not used, as ATX 20p only had a single connector dedicated to +12V. So I omitted it (that makes 9 from PSU + 2 5v).

PS-ON is green because I had a really difficult time de-pinning it, it's AWG24 so it snapped from the crimp. I soldered it to PS-ON green (I think it's 20 or 22 AWG) that was on that salvaged connector.

The voltages are within the 5% spec tolerance but seem to run a little high (12.19, 5.21 and 3.396) compared to other PSUs I've tried on this motherboard. Does anyone know what it would take to interface with the PMBUS to adjust these? Maybe one of those USB PMBUS dongles? It's mentioned here in this original press release:

https://www.fsp-group.com/en/news-97.html (Excerpt, bold+underline emphasis is mine)

That's awesome man! Would you be open to making a guide for modding this? I'm very interested in using this amazing flex psu for my upcoming build whilst practicing my soldering skills.