Stalled Freilite Brevis S: <5L Gaming Case with internal PSU

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
Were you referring to this http://www.vicorpower.com/ac-dc/converters/isolated-ac-dc-converter-pfc ?
Or perhaps this http://www.vicorpower.com/products?productType=cfg&productKey=V24A28C500BL ?
That would be nice to put in a chassis especially if you want it to be compact.

The exact part number is PFM4914VB6M24D0C00, with an AIM 11714 series rectifier at the input. It is thin (111 x 36 x 9.4 mm) and can drive more than 1 HDPLEX . However, there are a few problems:
1. Cooling: although manufacturer suggests mounting to to the chassis would suffice, I highly doubt it.
2. Expensive: $197 at Digi-Key
3. 24V output: at the upper end of suggested HDPLEX input. This may cause over voltage shutdown. A series diode may solve this issue.

I'm tempted to create a custom PCB with it + switching regulators. But I'm too busy atm with a silicon project.

(Sorry for the post being irrelevant to the thread)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hmm, those Vicor units look interesting for a project I'm working on.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
On the power supply, what would be the best choice to power a GTX 1070 mini ?

Depends. Right now there are pretty much two options in the FlexATX market, the SSP-300SUG, and the FSP400-60FGGBA. Both are available in webstores right now. The SSP has a thread here. In the future, the FSP500 would be the way to go, of course. ;)

The exact part number is PFM4914VB6M24D0C00, with an AIM 11714 series rectifier at the input.

Don't you mean "output"? It seems like it converts WRI AC-DC to 24V AC-DC so you'd have to rectify that at the output to get 24V DC-DC.

Reactions: hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
Don't you mean "output"? It seems like it converts WRI AC-DC to 24V AC-DC so you'd have to rectify that at the output to get 24V DC-DC.

It is in fact required at the input. PFM4914VB6M24D0C00 is a unidirectional AC to DC converter. AIM 11714 input module filters the incoming 120V AC to remove any HF noise/pulses and coverts the bidirectional AC to unidirectional AC (pretty much a bridge rectifier). PFM4914VB6M24D0C00 then converts this 120V unidirectional AC to 24V smooth DC. :)

Reactions: iFreilicht

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
I'm thread jacking again to ask a (probably dumb) question as I don't know many people (in fact none :( ) with FlexATX PSU + SFF PC experience.

I was thinking of a way to stuff a GTX 970 mini and internal PSU into a <4 L case and came up with this:

The calculated size of the set up from the size of the components (Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini ITX, standard Mini ITX motherboard and I/O shield, Flex ATX PSU etc) is 90x 205x180mm . If these can be fit inside a case of dimensions 100x 210x185mm it would be 3.9L.

Granted it won't look thin and sexy like Brevis S nor it would support horizontal placement, however, I just want to know if this kind of setup is practically possible under 4L.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Have you included the 20mm for the PEG connectors in the component envelope? Have you included a panel thickness for the outer shell (at least 1.6mm) in the outer dimensions? Have you made sure that there are at least 6mm of space between the bottom of the mainboard and any other component? have you included a panel to mount the mainboard on (at least 1mm thick)? Have you included space for cabling, especially from the PSU?

If the answer to any of those questions is no, it probably won't stay at 3.9L. BTW, there's a relatively similar design to yours, called Hutzy XS. It is <4L, too.

Reactions: hardcore_gamer

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Update! More parts came in!

I know, right? The last post was almost half a year ago. This has been a long time coming and it still isn't complete. But hey, something is better than nothing!

Here's everything I got so far. Two side panels, main frame, GPU mount, HDD mount, front frame and front USB assembly. Only two more parts missing for a full case. Technically. I also have to modify the main frame because it's an older design that's not compatible with the front frame I just got. The front USB assembly also needs to be printed again to actually mount to the front frame.

Yay, miniscule progress!

Last edited: