Stalled Freilite Brevis S: <5L Gaming Case with internal PSU

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Always mixing up May and March. I wanted to avoid the usual discussion whether 03.05.2016 is the Third of May or the Fifth of March. Looks like I've failed :/

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Relevant:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Actually this is how I write date on my personal notes & when I want to name folder/files chronologically.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
ISO date format master race! I do the same because I find it makes for much better file sorting on a computer.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I do the same at work. There are basically two portable ways of writing a date. Either ISO (2016-08-02) or writing it in full length (2nd of August, 2016). Everything else is ambiguous.

You can probably write August 2nd, 2016 as well, if you're one of those people.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
ISO date format master race! I do the same because I find it makes for much better file sorting on a computer.

Also I need to use that format for time stamps in database fields, basically it's enforced. Otherwise sorting by date (like the posts on this forum) would be a nightmare.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Those are two parts, actually, but yes, just those two for now.
For the other parts there are still decisions to be made, but I wanted something physical to test fitment with, especially the riser and cable harness.
Also this gives an idea of how stiff this material is and I can test stuff with a few magnets I've ordered.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ah, now that I'm looking for it I see the two screws holding the pieces together.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Whoa, case parts finally arrived. Just barely enough to test your components on, though. Are those standoffs from the PEM fasteners you've spoke of before?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Current state of affairs:

Yeah that looks a bit dodgy, but I'll be working on that. The most important thing for now is that things fit.

First off, I took all components, including the PSU, from Freilite Alpha. As some of you might now, I've cut a pretty big hole into that one (I discharged the cap, no humans were harmed in the making of this post):

Aaaaand fixed:

I also had to add the 40mm fan back in and boy I can't wait to replace this PSU with the SSP-300SUG because that fan is probably broken. Even at lowest voltage it sounds like a bumblebee on steroids, something I've never had to endure with other FlexATX PSUs.
The noise under load would be tolerable if it was only whooshing, but the buzz makes it sound more like a miniature F1-Car.
We'll see how that all turns out, cable harness will be done tomorrow or the day after that, I already received the package from Icemodz.

This frame itself is NOT what I would consider final in any way, it's a functional prototype only! It does look ugly, be warned.

So for fitting of components:

Mainboard:

Perfect fit, maybe a small gap for the screw next to the audio block would help with installation if the PSU is already in.

CPU Cooler:

The NH-L9 is close to the absolute maximum, maybe additional Millimeter would be possible. I love it.

PSU:

The reversible mount works just as intended, you can use all four screws in both orientations and the PSU sits flush with the bottom of the frame.

GPU:

Easy-peasy, the tabs on the other side aren't fitting perfect, though. Maybe I should allow more tolerance there. The screw between the tabs makes the fit extremely strong, I love the feel of that.

But wait:

No idea how that could happen. I am 100% sure that the cutout is way larger than the PCIe CEM requires it to be, but maybe the size of it was changed after Rev1.1? Only two screens for now, bummer.

Also, it really annoys me how much space I left for oversized GPUs, but it does increase choice and hopefuly benefits GPU exhaust.

PCIe riser:

As you might've seen in the first picture, the LiHeat riser I've got here is just a wee bit short, so the GPU frame is not screwed into the main one right now. I'll probably order a second HDPLEX riser and just chain two of those for now.

HDD:

It's just sandwiched between the PSU and riser right now. It was a real pain to get it out of my old case because it was just taped in there with double sided mounting tape, which is made to hold picture frames to walls, but other than that, there's not a lot to test here yet.