Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020

Since a bunch of people have asked about the August batch, wanted to give an update - we basically crushed and recycled them to reinforce quality control expectation to our suppliers. If the end product is trash, we recycle trash.

So let’s see how much better this batch is.
Thanks for this unique look behind the scenes. I can really appreciate the transparency.
If this doesn't set them straight nothing will.

Reactions: N9neBreak3r

SoSquidTaste

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
What about black paint diluted with water ? By taking care of not filling holes. Cerakote is very expensive.

Too true, and turnaround time can be tricky depending on your shop. Over at /r/FormD there have been a bunch of different posts with users' paint experiences.

@Fhiko: This post demonstrates an interesting paint that comes in black-- although the referenced post ran an army green-- and appears to finish very, very well on the mesh. Might be worth a look. Then again, I feel like plain ol' spraypaint might work just as well if you do multiple light coats.

lys1030

Trash Compacter
Nov 8, 2020
www.youtube.com

Since a bunch of people have asked about the August batch, wanted to give an update - we basically crushed and recycled them to reinforce quality control expectation to our suppliers. If the end product is trash, we recycle trash.

If there's a way to purchase defected ones at a lower price, I'd be interested, since I usually mod the cases anyways. And this also helps with the environment.

SaltyMemeBoy

Trash Compacter
Aug 10, 2021

I’m a bit surprised and disappointed to see that you just threw everything out and didn’t use what you had to start the beta testing process. Why not just send cases to testers with the disclaimer that you’re working on improving quality control? At the very least they’d be able to give you feedback on the new features of the case at a basic level.

In my opinion, you have bigger problems to solve right now than quality control minutia in what was supposed to be a preliminary test batch of cases anyway. Your website is essentially useless and has been for months, your release date for this case is obviously a moving target (I would be shocked to see general availability before the end of November), and worst of all, people who follow the development of this case religiously still only have a vague idea what they’re even waiting for. Why not take a weekend to just fix your website and create a product page with enough info to bring people into the loop just a little bit? It doesn’t have to be perfect. All I and many others have been asking for is that it just exist at all.

Whether you’re aware of this or not, you’ve built up a lot of frustration among your own supporters based on problems which shouldn’t be too difficult to solve. Just look at any recent update or order alert post on the FormD subreddit. People are just confused about what’s to come, and even for what’s already available, newcomers basically have to learn by word of mouth how to even have a chance of buying a case.

Kindly, you really need to find a better way to interface with your customers than this forum and whatever drippings make their way to the subreddit which is already managed almost entirely by people who aren’t you.

ellroy80

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2020
I understand your frustration. However, this case will be cloned as soon as it hits the market. Therefore, I suspect Wahaha360 wants to keep his cards close to his chest for as long as possible so that someone can't duplicate it before it's even released. I'm sure he'll release more details when he's ready to.

Exist50

Trash Compacter
Feb 25, 2021
I understand your frustration. However, this case will be cloned as soon as it hits the market. Therefore, I suspect Wahaha360 wants to keep his cards close to his chest for as long as possible so that someone can't duplicate it before it's even released. I'm sure he'll release more details when he's ready to.
We still don't really have a good T1 clone available, so I don't think that's terribly convincing. And the rest of the stuff about communication still applies. If someone new was interested in the case, then to get the full picture, you'd need to point them to 2 different forums and several comments in this thread. And while I'm excited by the features Wahaha360 has been able to fit in, it's undeniably been a moving target, with an effect on the release date. Just makes things difficult if you're not flexible with plans.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I’m a bit surprised and disappointed to see that you just threw everything out and didn’t use what you had to start the beta testing process. Why not just send cases to testers with the disclaimer that you’re working on improving quality control? At the very least they’d be able to give you feedback on the new features of the case at a basic level.

In my opinion, you have bigger problems to solve right now than quality control minutia in what was supposed to be a preliminary test batch of cases anyway. Your website is essentially useless and has been for months, your release date for this case is obviously a moving target (I would be shocked to see general availability before the end of November), and worst of all, people who follow the development of this case religiously still only have a vague idea what they’re even waiting for. Why not take a weekend to just fix your website and create a product page with enough info to bring people into the loop just a little bit? It doesn’t have to be perfect. All I and many others have been asking for is that it just exist at all.

Whether you’re aware of this or not, you’ve built up a lot of frustration among your own supporters based on problems which shouldn’t be too difficult to solve. Just look at any recent update or order alert post on the FormD subreddit. People are just confused about what’s to come, and even for what’s already available, newcomers basically have to learn by word of mouth how to even have a chance of buying a case.

Kindly, you really need to find a better way to interface with your customers than this forum and whatever drippings make their way to the subreddit which is already managed almost entirely by people who aren’t you.
We still don't really have a good T1 clone available, so I don't think that's terribly convincing. And the rest of the stuff about communication still applies. If someone new was interested in the case, then to get the full picture, you'd need to point them to 2 different forums and several comments in this thread. And while I'm excited by the features Wahaha360 has been able to fit in, it's undeniably been a moving target, with an effect on the release date. Just makes things difficult if you're not flexible with plans.

I'm afraid we can't make everyone happy.

I've said this before, if you need to build now, build now with what you can buy now. Also, if uncertain with this project is creating anxiety for you, just come back later - don't have to follow every update.

We did a major overhaul of the product, so confusion is expected. The alternative is to release a subpar product, which we think is worse.

Also, we are in the interim period between teasers and release, so I understand there are lots of questions. However, once the product is release, it should be much more straight forward.

To avoid further confusion, we plan to say less and just release when ready. That's why the website is closed, because it opening it could easily make the situation worse.

ellroy80

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2020
Let's just say, 1) I think my argument is convincing, but I'm not going to provide evidence of why, and 2) I think Wahaha360 has put it pretty nicely. If you need to build now, build in another case. That's what I did. My build is currently in an NR200. Its my temporary case until the next version of the T1 is released, because I ultimately want something smaller. However, the T1 isn't the only case that I'm interested in and waiting on to be released, so I might end up with something else entirely. I'm confused by V2.0 of the case as well because I can't imagine the final product, but I have no choice but to wait until Wahaha360 releases more information. I've been waiting for 12 months for this case (or something similar), so waiting a little longer won't make a difference. If other case(s) are released sooner that pique my interest and fit my needs, I'll grab one of those instead.

We're talking a computer case here. Getting one is not a matter of life or death. Just MHO.

AlmightyBeing

Caliper Novice
Jul 22, 2021

I've said this before, if you need to build now, build now with what you can buy now. Also, if uncertain with this project is creating anxiety for you, just come back later - don't have to follow every update.

We did a major overhaul of the product, so confusion is expected. The alternative is to release a subpar product, which we think is worse.

Also, we are in the interim period between teasers and release, so I understand there are lots of questions. However, once the product is release, it should be much more straight forward.

To avoid further confusion, we plan to say less and just release when ready. That's why the website is closed, because it opening it could easily make the situation worse.
I understand all of this except for why the website is locked when not available. Why not just put sold out? I often compare case sizes and dimensions when I find a new one I'm considering and it makes it so much harder to have to go searching for the dimensions everytime, even though the website is literally one of the first search results when googling the case. It doesn't make much sense to shut the whole site down, you are still paying for the domain so why not make it useful for potential customers in the meantime?

SaltyMemeBoy

Trash Compacter
Aug 10, 2021

See, here’s the thing. You’ve already released information about the case. It’s out there. So with that, I’m having a difficult time understanding how opening your website could add to confusion.

As it stands, many people who look into your case or even your company for that matter only get partial information from scattered sources. I say this speaking from personal experience and, again, from looking at responses on Reddit or even this very forum. That is where the confusion comes from. It’s not that those of us who have compiled everything you’ve stated in this forum thus far are anxious because what you’ve provided isn’t enough. The issue is that currently we have to verify everything we know about the case by navigating this 700 page behemoth of a thread.

Since there seems to have been some confusion about what I was even asking for earlier, I’ll make it clear here:
Please, please just improve the landing page of your website to include the semi-regular updates that you post here every once in a while. You don’t need to update it regularly or when you don’t have anything to say, it just needs to exist in a place that’s easy to access for everyone. I’d also suggest putting the promotional pictures (which you already have) of the updated case there, maybe an order button that is greyed out with a message “currently unavailable, release date TBD” above it, and ideally a small blurb like the one you just delivered to me about how the case is still under development and you are transitioning from the previous model 1.1 to let people know why most of the site isn’t accessible and availability is uncertain at the moment.

I personally think this is a very reasonable ask, and if anyone here agrees, please leave some sort of reaction on this message so @Wahaha360 can see. If it isn’t reasonable, I’d really like a clearer explanation as to why.

Jff007

Efficiency Noob
Aug 9, 2021
The only "clones" of the T1 I've seen were all significantly larger (and looked a bit lower quality, based on the images).

I'm currently in my DanCase A4 and am happy with it until I can get my hands on the T1 2.0. Based off what we've seen so far, I'm confident it's going to worth the wait.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
See, here’s the thing. You’ve already released information about the case. It’s out there. So with that, I’m having a difficult time understanding how opening your website could add to confusion.

As it stands, many people who look into your case or even your company for that matter only get partial information from scattered sources. I say this speaking from personal experience and, again, from looking at responses on Reddit or even this very forum. That is where the confusion comes from. It’s not that those of us who have compiled everything you’ve stated in this forum thus far are anxious because what you’ve provided isn’t enough. The issue is that currently we have to verify everything we know about the case by navigating this 700 page behemoth of a thread.

Since there seems to have been some confusion about what I was even asking for earlier, I’ll make it clear here:
Please, please just improve the landing page of your website to include the semi-regular updates that you post here every once in a while. You don’t need to update it regularly or when you don’t have anything to say, it just needs to exist in a place that’s easy to access for everyone. I’d also suggest putting the promotional pictures (which you already have) of the updated case there, maybe an order button that is greyed out with a message “currently unavailable, release date TBD” above it, and ideally a small blurb like the one you just delivered to me about how the case is still under development and you are transitioning from the previous model 1.1 to let people know why most of the site isn’t accessible and availability is uncertain at the moment.

I personally think this is a very reasonable ask, and if anyone here agrees, please leave some sort of reaction on this message so @Wahaha360 can see. If it isn’t reasonable, I’d really like a clearer explanation as to why.
Your points are fair, but my guess is that the website is being updated for the new version of the case, considering all the new renders/teasers we've gotten have a vastly different style to previous versions. He's also worked on the website in the past, and has messed it up a few times, which happens when stuff is in development. So my guess is that the v2.0 ready website is still being worked on, and when orders go live for v1.1 drops, he just rolls back to the version we have now.

Plus, W360 is incredibly busy from the times that I've talked with him. He's got multiple projects going on, as well as other irl stuff. What you think may be simple, might actually be more complicated than it seems, and not possible with the time he has right now. And if my first point is correct, then there's no real point to develop a new landing page with more info if the subreddit can serve as a stop-gap. The semi-regular updates are all posted on reddit, both in the Latest Updates thread which is the first link in the sidebar, and more info is in posts marked with "FormD Announcement". That's why there's a link to the reddit on the holding page for the website, because most all of the info people need is there, and if they don't know something, then the Q&A thread is for them.

I understand you want more info consolidated in one central place where you don't have to search through multiple posts (and it makes sense), but when the v2.0 comes out, I feel like that will happen. But in the meantime, I think directing people to the subreddit is just fine, because there people can ask any question they have, and also find a lot of the info in this thread in a post on the subreddit (the v2.0 update is the first pinned post on the subreddit, and in that post is also a link to the latest updates thread with even more info, and the pinned post under that is the bi-weekly Q&A thread to answer more obscure questions)

Tl;DR: The website is not as great as it could be right now which is fair, but the subreddit is serving as a stop-gap in between releases and (by my guess) website updates, which will eventually include more info.

SaltyMemeBoy

Trash Compacter
Aug 10, 2021
Your points are fair, but my guess is that the website is being updated for the new version of the case, considering all the new renders/teasers we've gotten have a vastly different style to previous versions. He's also worked on the website in the past, and has messed it up a few times, which happens when stuff is in development. So my guess is that the v2.0 ready website is still being worked on, and when orders go live for v1.1 drops, he just rolls back to the version we have now.

Plus, W360 is incredibly busy from the times that I've talked with him. He's got multiple projects going on, as well as other irl stuff. What you think may be simple, might actually be more complicated than it seems, and not possible with the time he has right now. And if my first point is correct, then there's no real point to develop a new landing page with more info if the subreddit can serve as a stop-gap. The semi-regular updates are all posted on reddit, both in the Latest Updates thread which is the first link in the sidebar, and more info is in posts marked with "FormD Announcement". That's why there's a link to the reddit on the holding page for the website, because most all of the info people need is there, and if they don't know something, then the Q&A thread is for them.

I understand you want more info consolidated in one central place where you don't have to search through multiple posts (and it makes sense), but when the v2.0 comes out, I feel like that will happen. But in the meantime, I think directing people to the subreddit is just fine, because there people can ask any question they have, and also find a lot of the info in this thread in a post on the subreddit (the v2.0 update is the first pinned post on the subreddit, and in that post is also a link to the latest updates thread with even more info, and the pinned post under that is the bi-weekly Q&A thread to answer more obscure questions)

Tl;DR: The website is not as great as it could be right now which is fair, but the subreddit is serving as a stop-gap in between releases and (by my guess) website updates, which will eventually include more info.
You are essentially the sole person who answers questions in that bi-weekly questions thread, and many of your answers are speculation much like your reply to me was just now. Meaning no offense.

Not having time to update the website? Again, meaning no offense here and speaking plainly - that landing page could literally be built in 30 minutes, if that. All the information that needs to be in there is already prepared, as I’ve mentioned, and he doesn’t even need to have any working links. In terms of keeping it updated, just duplicating what he posts here for updates would be enough and would cost a minute or 2 extra of his time. If he were to just make that one change then instead of checking back in on the project every 2 weeks and having to sift through a deluge of new comments and posts on here or on Reddit, we could just go to his website and be up-to-date on progress in seconds.

Interested to hear from the man himself if he wants to respond.

• Haha
Reactions: douglasjhardie

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
You are essentially the sole person who answers questions in that bi-weekly questions thread, and many of your answers are speculation much like your reply to me was just now. Meaning no offense.

Not having time to update the website? Again, meaning no offense here and speaking plainly - that landing page could literally be built in 30 minutes, if that. All the information that needs to be in there is already prepared, as I’ve mentioned, and he doesn’t even need to have any working links. In terms of keeping it updated, just duplicating what he posts here for updates would be enough and would cost a minute or 2 extra of his time. If he were to just make that one change then instead of checking back in on the project every 2 weeks and having to sift through a deluge of new comments and posts on here or on Reddit, we could just go to his website and be up-to-date on progress in seconds.

Interested to hear from the man himself if he wants to respond.

Wouldn't this create the same problem you're trying to avoid? For example, the latest update from W360 was the name change from v1.5 to v2.0 ... And that goes on the landing page completely out of context with no other information? So you might counter and say "put the last 2 updates, or last 3" hell, post all updates on there and now you've got a wall of text on your landing page.

I too wish the website was always "live" instead of the "coming soon" style redirect, but I don't know if it would help a whole lot. On the one hand, you get a wall of text with some info now outdated and irrelevant, on the other you get a snippet that's out of context and perhaps meaningless to someone not following the case. Sure you could say "curate it and delete the now outdated info" but now it's no longer a simple "2 min copy paste job".

I could be wrong, but keeping the website down except during drops also makes it hard to bot-buy the case when it does go live, especially since the drops are announced ahead of time.