Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

JRey

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2020
This one fits even better but they say it's only for nvidia cards.
Still waiting on a PCI4 riser for AMD. Hoping Wahaha360 has something soon.
I went with the 25cm so I can disconnect the riser from the motherboard easily due to the extra slack.
Also, I’m gonna experiment with giving the rear m.2 more room to breathe to see if that reduces temps.
I think 25cm is the best length for ease of use overall. 20cm will work fine though.

Reactions: Madhawk1995

CluckyTaco

Chassis Packer
Mar 22, 2020
I'm going with the cable that's also used in the acat x1

I'll be using the forward version so that the cables will be routed towards the gpu.
But with a different connection for the backplate of the case

Hey I've heard that the gauge rating for that low profile PSU cable is like 26AWG and not ideal for PSU power and should be more like 16AWG. Since you already picked out a connector for the other end you should swap out the wire with thicker gauge ones.

Here is where I stumbled on this in reddit

My question to you is what sort of connectors are those? I'm exploring this method for a future build and I'm not sure what are the type of terminals that you use to connect the wire to the connector? I think they are called cable lugs but not sure what exact model.

EDIT: Changed inserted link because I'm a noob.

Last edited:
Reactions: PKAWA

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
I'm seriously just reading up on it.
This is what wahah360 had to say about it 2 months ago

W360MOD
5 points
·
2 months ago
We *were planning to upgrade to PCIe 4.0, but our insider contacts are telling us to wait. We have mailed *all PCIe 4.0 Riser on the market (including Ghost Cobalt) to our insider. NONE OF THE CURRENT PCIe 4.0 RISER WORKS AT X16, MANY WILL NOT PLUG & PLAY, and some not at all. We are expecting both motherboard BIOs update and design changes to PCIe 4.0 risers. So we are not going to offer PCIe 4.0 until we know it's plug & play, and we can't estimate a time until we get the RTX 30XX GPUs and do some testing.

@Wahaha360 Could you maybe tell us if the linkup will have the same issues? PCIE4EXT11VV-020-nV

Last edited:

Arc_Lag

Trash Compacter
Jul 2, 2019
I'm seriously just reading up on it.
This is what wahah360 had to say about it 2 months ago

W360MOD
5 points
·
2 months ago
We *were planning to upgrade to PCIe 4.0, but our insider contacts are telling us to wait. We have mailed *all PCIe 4.0 Riser on the market (including Ghost Cobalt) to our insider. NONE OF THE CURRENT PCIe 4.0 RISER WORKS AT X16, MANY WILL NOT PLUG & PLAY, and some not at all. We are expecting both motherboard BIOs update and design changes to PCIe 4.0 risers. So we are not going to offer PCIe 4.0 until we know it's plug & play, and we can't estimate a time until we get the RTX 30XX GPUs and do some testing.

@Wahaha360 Could you maybe tell us if the linkup will have the same issues? PCIE4EXT11VV-020-nV
This was 2 months ago and it seriously sucks to buy a new riser cable to just have compatibility with the next gen cards :(
Yes, I am aware of the workaround like Ali mentioned in his video, but I personally do not endorse this hassle if this could be fixed with just the Formd team adding a proper riser to the case... but that's my opinion

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
This was 2 months ago and it seriously sucks to buy a new riser cable to just have compatibility with the next gen cards :(
Yes, I am aware of the workaround like Ali mentioned in his video, but I personally do not endorse this hassle if this could be fixed with just the Formd team adding a proper riser to the case... but that's my opinion
Another easier way to fix it is to build the system outside of the case (you should do this already to check and make sure all the parts work) and then once you've gotten the entire system configured (drivers installed, etc.) go into the BIOS and change the PCIe mode to gen 3. No need to get another GPU like OT said, and since you should already do this before you build inside the case, I think it's the easiest way to get around it.
PCIe Gen 4 is not really "needed" for performance right now, but it is nice for convenience and to have no hassle. But when it does become a product for the T1, I'd expect it to come at a slight premium.

SSJ4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 10, 2020
www.ospreygaming.com.au
I did a build stream last night and attempted succefully I might add to install the 3080 XC3 Ultra into 2 slot mode. Below is a clip from the stream.

This shows worst case scenario of no custom cables and the XC3 being pushed into the side panel. The fans spin fine without touching the side panel. But any pressure at all and they foul.

But with some tweaks and custom cables. Perhaps removing the backplate we will be good.

Twitch Clip

The long version is that before I put any of the cables in the GPU fit perfectly and there was clearly enough clearance for the fans to spin and it would take alot of bending to get the panel to foul the fans.

The stock SF750 cables are clearly (or at least the way I routed them) are pushing the gpu forward in some way. However that doesnt explain the IO end of the card as there are no cables to push it forward. It is completely possible that the PCIE riser is also pushing the card slightly forward.

Summary.

- The 2.2 slot XC3 will fit. Without modification. But will cause side panel bulge and pressure on the side panels is needed to get the top panel on.
- Side panel bulge hits the shroud first. Which actually gives the fans the clearance they need to spin. (I havent tested deshroud).
- The PCIE is potentially putting pressure on the card. Removing the XC3 back plate would probably fix this (yet to test).
- Custom cables will be a must. With how tight the card is against the side panel you cannot afford any extra pressure pushing the gpu forward.
- I have only turned on the system and havent done a long term test.
- The raise silver 'E' on the fans is actually the tallest part of the card. So if you got desperate you could sand off them off the faces of the fans.
- It does fit and fans do spin. Despite the spec just be prepared to micro manage the build.

**EDIT**

After some more testing the best way to ensure you dont foul the fans on the XC3 ultra is to remove the 'E' stickers from the fans. They are 1mm thick. But its enough to make them the highest point on the cards shroud. By removing them the fans now still recessed in the shroud. Hard to measure but do the guestimate maths in your head. It's well below 1mm of clearance. But the shroud prevents the side panel from hitting the fans even when applying pressure.

I have alot more info in my subreddit thread. So if you want more answers I'd jump over there.

Last edited:

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
I hope a new FW would resolve the issue. I bought the same MoBo for my T1 build based on Ali's recommendation on previous videos. Didn't @fabio get two 240mm radiator in the T1 for one of his builds?
I'm getting pretty normal results in Cinebench R20 with my 5900X, X570-I and 2802 BIOS.
625 single core, 8200 multi-core
Lost silicon lottery though :(

Last edited:
Reactions: PKAWA and ten13th

Ashenfall

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2020
This is what i got from linkup concerning the riser cable:

Thank you for your inquiry, the riser cable was tested with AMD 5700 GPU in an ITX system (small case) to find instability in a 24 hrs stress test. If you are using a mid / full tower PC, then it would work great with AMD GPU as it was tested in ATX systems without issue. As the same ITX system was tested with NVIDIA RTX3080 to pass without issue, we suspect it may be due to the limited tolerance built into the 5700 GPU as it was one of the first Gen 4 GPUs released last year. We hope the new AMD 6000 GPUs would be built better and the issue would be resolved, but as we had not tested the new AMD GPUs we are unable to predict. Thank you for your attention.
That statement is weird. Why would the size of the case be a factor in stability?

If only we could find out what motherboards were used in the ITX and ATX test systems...

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
2020-11-12: looking for people to work on a secret project:

1. Angular Dev:
  • Advanced to Expert experience in building attractive customer-facing website
  • Experience with Firebase and/or other cloud backends highly preferred but not required
2. Shopify Theme Dev:
  • Experience with Shopify and knows how to modify Shopify theme.

• Love
Reactions: DrHudacris

dream3

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
I went with the 25cm so I can disconnect the riser from the motherboard easily due to the extra slack.
Also, I’m gonna experiment with giving the rear m.2 more room to breathe to see if that reduces temps.
I think 25cm is the best length for ease of use overall. 20cm will work fine though.

Is 15cm the optimal length to match the stock t1 gen3 riser?

max31092

Average Stuffer
Mar 1, 2020
From my experience (20cm linkup dual reversed) I'had about 1-2cm spare room. But it will definitely depend on the connectors and maybe tollerances. Most companies say there's <+-1cm cable tolerance.