Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

aexeq

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
The G1/4 port is still there in the T1 Sandwich, but there isnt enough room at the back of the case for it on the Reference model. This is going off of the renders we've been given.
W360 has said that the TX240 is supported with full sized NF-A12x25 fans, so I'd assume it will fit fine in the V2.
Thanks for the answer!

Just a little more context and clarification:
Im not interested in the reference, just the original sandwich, so thats perfectly fine for me.
You can always just put the fans between top panel and rad to have that 120 width facing the panel, so it will be compatible. My intention of asking doesn't had the general campatability in mind, but the specific configuration I mentioned. If possible I want the fans in push configuration, since pull creates more turbulence due to the fan blades beeing closer to the radiator fins.

aexeq

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
I think an extra centimeter or so could be achieved with 180-degree adapters.
I think his situation also refers to the terminals of the waterblock adding to the height.
A possible solution could be to run a Nouvolo Aquanaut and a single slot waterblock, that faces the terminals to the front of the case. Afaik Alphacool produces some of those waterblocks for their industrial applications, but they should be buyable for most people anyway.

SoSquidTaste

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
You could run your current components with a 280mm Rad instead with the reference layout ... if you have a GPU that fits, it is the superior configuration for both air and water cooling.
Having zero experience with custom loops until T1 v1.1, I'm curious what makes you say that Huda. I know you've done a ton of loop builds and tinkered with that mod to enable a side mounted 280 in v1.1-- did you ever get to fill and run that? Or is it just a matter of keeping the physics of the larger rad and simpler, single rad airflow path in mind

I'm curious because if 1x 280 GTS will perform even comparably to 2xTX240 then I would definitely lean toward the single 280

EDIT:
Who else is checking the forums an unhealthy amount just in case a drop date has been posted?
*smacking forearms*

Ranzelmo

Cable Smoosher
Mar 6, 2021

2021-10-19: Product ready, website and packaging not so much. Will keep stock piling so it doesn't sell out immediately and enrage the internet.​

Highlights:
- Aluminum Mesh Panels SHOCKINGLY good compare to the older Steel Mesh, even surprising for us.
- T1-Reference with Noctua C14S on AMD 5950X runs nice with FE3080.
- MSI Suprim X just not for SFF, no performance benefit over ROG, much longer, why MSI! why!
- HWL 280GTS is a really tight fit in both T1-Reference and T1-Sandwich, recommended only for nutters.

One of these is the older steel mesh, the other new aluminum mesh! Unibody + CNCed Aluminum Mesh Panels 1) began as joke and 2) used as a torture test for manufacturing, but now it's no longer a prototype, and it's shockingly good.

After we launch T1 V2, we are going to test Transparent Aluminum 😝
These look so friken awesome!!! cant wait to get one

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Having zero experience with custom loops until T1 v1.1, I'm curious what makes you say that Huda. I know you've done a ton of loop builds and tinkered with that mod to enable a side mounted 280 in v1.1-- did you ever get to fill and run that? Or is it just a matter of keeping the physics of the larger rad and simpler, single rad airflow path in mind

I'm curious because if 1x 280 GTS will perform even comparably to 2xTX240 then I would definitely lean toward the single 280

I have not used my side bracket to fill and run a loop, just the test fitting I did. I will make those available soon (life is too busy). The reason I decided not to pursue it is the top radiator would use most preheated air that has passed through the side radiator. All exhaust wouldn't really work for the part of the radiator next to PSU (and really this part is relying on the PSU fan anyway). All intake didn't seem like a good idea either, as there would basically be no exhaust fans to direct the air out , and might be a mess.

So based off the experience of a single 240 being overwhelmed by high end CPU and 3080/90, and a dual setup being marginally better with much more headache, it seems like a single 280mm with full size fans would be ideal, since that has nearly the same capacity as a 360mm. Just spitballing, moving from the T1s slim + standard fan on a 240mm radiator to a 280mm with 2 standard fans should yield a 50% increase (more rad surface area plus a standard fan replacing a slim). And then of course you have the simplicity of a single rad.

Of course the problem is this config ( 280mm loop) is only possible with 112mm GPU with side ports. If possible on taller cards, that would be awesome but of course PSU gets in the way of good airflow in sandwich... If only ...🤔

Reactions: SoSquidTaste

Vareen

Caliper Novice
Aug 21, 2021
Projecting ahead a little, and making the assumption that GPU sizes will stay approximately the same, are the next-gen 400-450W GPUs (possibly higher!) still likely to be usable in the V2.0, with a GPU temp rated at something like 93 deg C? Would it fit better in a Reference, or Sandwich, configuration? Are there rads that can shift that much heat - I would have to assume that the fans built onto the cards are capable of expelling it, but the noise levels could be interesting.

Yes, I'm asking the question without complete information, but thought it would be an interesting thought problem..

SoSquidTaste

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
.. The reason I decided not to pursue it is the top radiator would use most preheated air that has passed through the side radiator. ...

...a dual setup being marginally better with much more headache, it seems like a single 280mm with ... 2 standard fans should yield a 50% increase (more rad surface area plus a standard fan replacing a slim). And then of course you have the simplicity of a single rad...
100% agreed on the solid theorycrafting 1x rad vs. 2x rad and 280 rad surface area versus 240s!

Dual rad will still siren's call me, but I think my heart is now set on a single 280 rad loop

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
I tend to agree but I think the chances of me getting my hands on an FE card for end ports are quite low...unless someone knows of a waterblock for the EVGA XC3 3080 that has ports coming off the end?

RySean

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2020
I've been keeping up with this thread pretty regularly, and been patiently waiting for v2.0. I was wondering with regards to tower vs reference vs sandwich though... what are the pros/cons of each? I know traditionally in SFF builds, sandwich has allowed for greater utilization of the interior space. The reason I'm asking is because with v1.1 sandwich was the only option and it made it easy, but I'd like to know the tradeoffs when choosing a version of the v2.0.

I currently have a 5900X, RTX 3080FE, and both are being cooled by a TX240 rad with dual NF-A12x25 Noctuas, using a DC-LT 40 and DC-LT 2 pump/mini-res. Earlier on in the thread I heard talk about the v2.0 maybe supporting a second TX240- is that still likely to be the case?

TLDR: Hoping to get some clarification on what the different config options will be for tower vs reference vs sandwich layout.
Thanks to the people that tried to answer my question- the gist of what I got was that the sandwich will be an improved version of the v1.1 with support for a single 280mm rad or up to two slim 240mm rads, right? And the reference layout will exist for the purpose of having air cooled builds with chonky CPU coolers, correct? Finally, no one really elaborated on what the tower layout will be for, but I imagine if I'm going single or dual 240 rads (of which I'll do at least one, since my cardboard box build is already utilizing a TX240) then probably sandwich layout would be optimal for thermals?

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Thanks to the people that tried to answer my question- the gist of what I got was that the sandwich will be an improved version of the v1.1 with support for a single 280mm rad or up to two slim 240mm rads, right? And the reference layout will exist for the purpose of having air cooled builds with chonky CPU coolers, correct? Finally, no one really elaborated on what the tower layout will be for, but I imagine if I'm going single or dual 240 rads (of which I'll do at least one, since my cardboard box build is already utilizing a TX240) then probably sandwich layout would be optimal for thermals?

In sandwich mode that's only possible with single slot GPUs. The single 280mm radiator would be possible in reference layout as well, albeit only with 3080/ti FE models.

The moral of the story is, 3080/ti FE opens up more options for water cooling or air cooling.

Reactions: RySean

RySean

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2020
In sandwich mode that's only possible with single slot GPUs. The single 280mm radiator would be possible in reference layout as well, albeit only with 3080/ti FE models.

The moral of the story is, 3080/ti FE opens up more options for water cooling or air cooling.
Indeed, which is what I'll be running. As mentioned in my original question, I'm currently running a full loop with a 5900X, RTX 3080FE, and the TX240- it's just been running in a cardboard box for over a year 😂 I was one of the people who had their white v1.1 cancelled.

Just trying to figure out which layout makes the most sense for me to buy when it comes time. Sounds like sandwich is the way to go.

Reactions: DrHudacris

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Is a 280 + 240 dual rad setup not possible? 280 on the side, 240 on top in the usual sandwich layout spot
That is possible, just very hard to do, and you need a 1 slot GPU with I'm assuming side mounted fittings, because there will be no room to run the tubing otherwise is my guess.

1x 280 on the side, and 1x 240 on the top is the officially supported config, but if you want to use dual 240 rads I think you might have to use 140mm to 120mm adapters, not sure if the bracket will only support 280 rads or 280 and 240 rads.
Reference is mainly there for air cooled builds is my thinking, but it isn't impossible to AIO cool the CPU, and if you have a GPU block with side mounted fittings, you could probably do a full loop as well.
Tower layout is just for people who want a vertical T1, so it takes up less space on the desk. It's not really for any performance gain, since all of the intakes are on the side, idk how much freeing up the bottom of the case would add to performance. It could benefit thermals slightly, but it's mainly just for those who want a smaller footprint on their desk.
If you're going for dual rads, Sandwich is the only way you can do that. There's no space for a second rad in the Reference layout, the MB, PSU and GPU get in the way of where the second rad would normally be (at the top/bottom). So yes, if you want to do a full custom loop with the possibility of dual rads, Sandwich is the way to go. If you go single rad, Reference might be good as well, but it remains to be seen.