Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Anyone has thoughts ono MSI vs EVGA vs ASUS purely on past performance of the individual board series and overall company track record? Might not be able to wait for reviews with the 3090..
Waiting for reviews is always worth it.
I personally will stick with EVGA unless they really mess up, because their RMA process and support is great, and they usually take their thermal designs seriously now. I'm actually banking on their support being so good that when I send in my 2080s for an RMA, they are out of 2080s cards and send me a new 3xxx card, it's happened in the past to some people, it's worth a shot because the coil whine on this thing is insane

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
Ok everyone I need the brain trust.

I just tried to boot my computer for the first time. I plug the PSU into power and I get rgb from the board and when I try to start the computer I get nothing but a click from the PSU.

I have done the following:

Taken the mobo out of the case and plugged the gpu straight into the mobo

Confirmed all the pins in the cables are seated properly

Checked ram

Swapped psu

Could it be the mobo or cpu?

• Wow
Reactions: ciaran clare

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017

I just tried to boot my computer for the first time. I plug the PSU into power and I get rgb from the board and when I try to start the computer I get nothing but a click from the PSU.

Checked ram

Swapped psu

Could be a couple things:
1.) Definitely could be the mobo or the CPU. If the board lights up, its most likely getting power properly. Check to make sure the CPU is seated properly.
2.) Could be a borked bios, does your board have the ability to re-flash without a cpu?
3.) Could be a dead CPU (my 4790k died randomly and all I was seeing a similar boot failure)

ciaran clare

Average Stuffer
Jul 28, 2020
Waiting for reviews is always worth it.
I personally will stick with EVGA unless they really mess up, because their RMA process and support is great, and they usually take their thermal designs seriously now. I'm actually banking on their support being so good that when I send in my 2080s for an RMA, they are out of 2080s cards and send me a new 3xxx card, it's happened in the past to some people, it's worth a shot because the coil whine on this thing is insane
UK hear, am i right in saying that EVGA also lets you dissemble cards without breaking warranty (i know US and some countries ignore that warranty void sticker bulllshit)

as far as coil whine goes, i have had quite bad coil win with my 5700 xt, (even when watching YouTube if the red scroll bar is visible it becomes loud) However just today i swapped the display port the monitor was plugged into and like magic their is no more coil whine (will have to wait and see if it starts again)

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
Could be a couple things:
1.) Definitely could be the mobo or the CPU. If the board lights up, its most likely getting power properly. Check to make sure the CPU is seated properly.
2.) Could be a borked bios, does your board have the ability to re-flash without a cpu?
3.) Could be a dead CPU (my 4790k died randomly and all I was seeing a similar boot failure)

1. haven't removed the 8600k since i installed it in 2018, just changed the thermal paste couple of days ago
2. up til last week it was running like a swiss watch
3. thinking of replacing the mobo and cpu with a b550 and a 3700x. I have a 4790k in my plex server computer and it's been going strong since 2014 i think

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
UK hear, am i right in saying that EVGA also lets you dissemble cards without breaking warranty (i know US and some countries ignore that warranty void sticker bulllshit)

as far as coil whine goes, i have had quite bad coil win with my 5700 xt, (even when watching YouTube if the red scroll bar is visible it becomes loud) However just today i swapped the display port the monitor was plugged into and like magic their is no more coil whine (will have to wait and see if it starts again)

Coil whine is usually due to back EMF or cross talk of various components. It can be PSU related, or even like you said display port related (they do or can supply some power and change the system impedance). I built two identical rigs for machine vision data acquisition a lab, and one combination of PSU and GPU caused coil whine in 1, but upon flipping the GPUs between the two, the coil whine disappeared on both.

1. haven't removed the 8600k since i installed it in 2018, just changed the thermal paste couple of days ago
2. up til last week it was running like a swiss watch
3. thinking of replacing the mobo and cpu with a b550 and a 3700x

When you replaced the thermal paste, did you perhaps over torque the CPU cooler? I've seen that cause boot issues on some intel boards.

ciaran clare

Average Stuffer
Jul 28, 2020

Checked ram

Swapped psu

have you tried removing GPU entirely, plugging monitor into mobo and use onboard graphics to boot into bios or windows? that may help.

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
I am leaning towards replacing the cpu and the mobo right now.

Just waiting to hear back from some people about another mobo/cpu

ponster

Chassis Packer
Jul 7, 2020
With a DDC pump/res inn the back, I only have 271mm of clearance and the smallest AIB RTX 3090 so far is the XC3 from EVGA at 285.37mm.

With the Alphacool LT pump/cpu block almost impossible to find, that left me with a reference card + EKWB block. But I really don't want to try and cool both the RTX 3090 and 10900K on a single 240m rad. Anyone else currently in the same boat, and has some ideas on how to potentially tackle this?

ciaran clare

Average Stuffer
Jul 28, 2020
I am leaning towards replacing the cpu and the mobo right now.

Just waiting to hear back from some people about another mobo/cpu
Kind of sucks that, shame you cant wait for ryzen 4000 if your being forced to upgrade. My guess is the mobo is probally dead and got damaged when moving to the T1

dream3

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
Past president can be a very misleading metric to base future projections on. For example, MSIs Pascal cards (GamingX, etc) were fantastic but their Turing and Navi cards were only mediocre or bad (poor thermal pads on Navi). Asus has had similar inconsistencies, and you end up paying the ROG tax. EVGA has had the fairly consistent performance since their capacitor fiasco on the original ICX designs. But that doesn't guarantee that their new cards wont have flaws.

For $1500+ I am strongly in the camp of "wait for reviews". Last thing I'd want is to have to RMA a card on day one and wait an extra 2-3 weeks to use it anyway.

Do you think reviews will drop before pre-ordering? At the same time I don't want to wait months for another shot at the 3090 if I miss this initial batch :(

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Do you think reviews will drop before pre-ordering? At the same time I don't want to wait months for another shot at the 3090 if I miss this initial batch :(

Unsure, but the fact that the board partners didn't even know the specs until the launch has me extra apprehensive of the first batch anyway. If you're going to get a first batch, I'd probably only recommend getting one directly from Nvidia.

Also, given the length of time that has passed since the last launch, I'm not sure we'll see the sparsity of the Turing launch either. I can't say for sure, and certainly can't speak for you, but I know that I'd rather wait a few months than being disappointed by my initial choice; especially with the level of capital investment involved.

ciaran clare

Average Stuffer
Jul 28, 2020
Unsure, but the fact that the board partners didn't even know the specs until the launch has me extra apprehensive of the first batch anyway. If you're going to get a first batch, I'd probably only recommend getting one directly from Nvidia.

Also, given the length of time that has passed since the last launch, I'm not sure we'll see the sparsity of the Turing launch either. I can't say for sure, and certainly can't speak for you, but I know that I'd rather wait a few months than being disappointed by my initial choice; especially with the level of capital investment involved.
Id actually suggest not getting one from nvidia unless your planning to watercool. i personally dont think nvidias reference design will perform well in the T1 or any other sandwich cases as the lack of clearance behind motherboard and psu will block the back panel exaust and essentially turn the card into a blower with two fans as the only exhaust will be out the io side. Id recommend waiting for either partners release their cards with a more standard cooler or until someone who can afford too tests it in the T1. If anyone is planning to water cool a reference card i think everyone would love to see some thermal tests of the reference cooler first.