eGPUs - Thoughts? - Skull Canyon NUC with Thunder3 PCIe Box.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Deskmini has to have a barrel connector correct? No 2 pin or other for board power?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Correct, there is no onboard power connector, so I'll have to hack a wire harness together to power both it and the video card.

Basically I'm getting it working with the ASRock with the intention of swapping the board with the Gigabyte H110MSTX-HD3 whenever it releases.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's alive!

Ignore the mess :p

So this is with that Bplus P4SM2 combined with the HDPLEX flexible extender. The Corsair SF600 is completely powering the GTX 980, the P4SM2 has a floppy to Molex power connector so that it doesn't draw power from the motherboard's M.2 connector.

It initializes and boots right up, didn't even have to change any settings in the BIOS. The GPU is detected at PCIe 3.0 x4.

12,552 Graphics score in Fire Strike :cool:

Just need to do a few more tests and get the CAD model for the custom case finalized enough to get a quote on. If everything checks out and the price for the case is reasonable then expect to see a build log for this crazy thing soon :D

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Looks like benjaminlsr beat us to the punch. In his thread, he paired his Skully NUC and a GTX 1060 inside a modified Thunder2 chassis.

Not as tight as what Aibo has in store with his Mini-STX build. But, not too shabby either. That's off-the-shelf parts with a few mods. Total volume of 3.7L. Of course, it could be improved with a Thunder3, GTX 1070, and internal HDPLEX 160W to have only a single brick, but thats for another day... :)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
People have already used M.2 to PCIe x4 adapters with the older NUCs to get an external GPU working. So none of this is exactly groundbreaking territory.

How do you plan to get the HDPLEX AC-DC into that chassis though? It doesn't look like there's nearly enough space.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just so I'm clear on how you wired this...

8 pin PCIe to GPU
4 pin molex to BPlus Adapter
AC/DC brick to STX motherboard
Jumper pin in 24 pin to bypass switch on the Corsair SFX

Is this correct?

One question I have, does the GPU remain off until it receives a signal from the PCIe BUS, even though there is power to it before booting the STX?

Also I was thinking that a slightly nicer solution than the paperclip in the 24pin might be to use one of these:

http://www.hwtools.net/PDF/SWEX_brief.pdf

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
8 pin PCIe to GPU

2x 6-pin but otherwise correct on wiring.

does the GPU remain off until it receives a signal from the PCIe BUS, even though there is power to it before booting the STX?

Yes. I turned it on and off a few times and it behaves just like it would in a normal setup.

I did not test turning the STX board on without turning on the PSU but I would assume the board would just boot as though the video card isn't present at all since the slot wouldn't have power.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Are there any USB Type C to PCIe bare boards ? Just like those docks but without the case and PSU.

Did you see my previous response, here? If the InXtron board doesn't work for you and you want to carry PCIe signal, then start by looking at PCIe extenders.

PCIe signals run at VERY high frequencies special attention must be given to cable impedance, EMI, and cross-talk when extending those signals across a medium. There is a good roundup of all flexible PCIe riser cards here.

Now, If you want to carry PCIe in round cable shape with a USB-C tip, then you will need a Thunderbolt 3 cable.

TB3 is new, and licensed from Intel, so NOT every PC / Motherboard is equipped with a TB3 port.
If you don't have a TB3 port then you may be able to tap PCIe signals at another spot on your motherboard. Most folks. (Such as Aibo's Mini-STX project in this thread) do this at the M.2 slot. The most common solution for that is using the PE4C V4.1

Maybe that or something similar from hwtools.net is what you need?

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
How do you plan to get the HDPLEX AC-DC into that chassis though? It doesn't look like there's nearly enough space.

I was intending to stand the HDPLEX 160W AC-DC PSU

in the space were the fan is.

Haven't measured it myself, but eyeball says it is doable? If the Thunder3 is a no go, then maybe look at a different chassis?

Just spit balling some things to you guys. To me, the possibilities are there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Looks like the internal volume of the enclosure is 20.5cm once you yank the fan (assuming that is a 25mm deep fan). The 160 is 40mm high which means you're looking at 16.5cm for your GPU (minus the bracket). Fairly certain the only card that would fit in that would be an R9 Nano? Also the HDPlex is 150mm long, and 131 if you were to clip off the fixation brackets on either end. Again you're probably going to run into issues because while the enclosure is 131mm, there are wires on either side that are going to add to the functional length of the unit (ie. Like how PEG connectors make GPUs effectively taller in many cases. Also from my recent testing, the HDPlex runs quite hot, even at relatively low loads (80-90W from the wall). See my Orangulan build for more details on how I mounted etc.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Looks like the height of the Thunder3 will be an issue from my quick measurements. It may fit but it'll be very tight.

Isn't this how every good SFF project starts? :cool:

Looks like the internal volume of the enclosure is 20.5cm once you yank the fan (assuming that is a 25mm deep fan). The 160 is 40mm high which means you're looking at 16.5cm for your GPU (minus the bracket). Fairly certain the only card that would fit in that would be an R9 Nano? Also the HDPlex is 150mm long, and 131 if you were to clip off the fixation brackets on either end. Again you're probably going to run into issues because while the enclosure is 131mm, there are wires on either side that are going to add to the functional length of the unit (ie. Like how PEG connectors make GPUs effectively taller in many cases. Also from my recent testing, the HDPlex runs quite hot, even at relatively low loads (80-90W from the wall). See my Orangulan build for more details on how I mounted etc.

A solution to the wire overflow can be seen in the Bizon Box, which AFAIK is just an aped AKiTiO. For shame.

I agree, adding an internal PSU would adds heat, so you'd want replace that fan with a pair of thins somewhere else. The card I'm shooting for would be the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini. Perhaps you could deshroud it to gain those 5-10mm you think is needed?

Did this to Little Mac 4.2L's 970 to get the room I needed and upgrade the thermals and acoustics over stock. Thanks for the HDPLEX shortening tips in your Orangulan build. Also, NICE! Gotta love a brickless S4.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
which AFAIK is just an aped AKiTiO

What is the external graphics card?
This is a special expansion chassis with its own power supply and a desktop-level NVIDIA GTX graphics card.
The unit connects to your Mac via Thunderbolt port.
It is based on a modified Akitio Chassis with modified power and cooling.

https://bizon-tech.com/us/faq-egpu/

According to them it's not a knockoff, they're basically doing what we're discussing, modding it to work as an external GPU enclosure, but then turning around and selling it.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
So a Mini-STX motherboard and an ITX length video card in a case? Only issue there may be are the opposing inputs.