Dynamo Combo Setup Guide

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Currently I am in the process of restocking with the new Dynamo Mini planned for release later this month and the Dynamo 360 still available in limited quantities while I ready version 2.0. If you can tell me where you are globally I can give you a better idea of what 360 availability is like.

K-philip

Cable Smoosher
Jul 18, 2018
Currently I am in the process of restocking with the new Dynamo Mini planned for release later this month and the Dynamo 360 still available in limited quantities while I ready version 2.0. If you can tell me where you are globally I can give you a better idea of what 360 availability is like.

New Dynamo mini?
Care to elaporate on that? Or do i/we have to wait for release?

Or elaborate on the 2.0 version.

With the new version comming soon i will hold my horses, and wait to See If it/they will be better for my build.

Im from Denmark.

element72

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
After a little bit of researching. I now understand what this is, lol. I tried watching a review of the HD plex psu.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong. From my own understanding - if I purchase this psu, I still need one of those little black box ac adapters that you usually see for laptops. Where should I be buying this, and what kind of precautions do I need to make if I try to buy this from a cheaper source?

I'm about to make my first SFF build, so I should first calculate how many wattage I will require before purchasing this, correct? But in general, I already plan on buying an itx board (nothing bigger), and i know for a fact that I want an 8700k (or keep my 6700k) with a single mini 1080 (most likely gigabyte). My main concern is will I have enough amps on the 12v rail? I've been using full sized atx boards for 10+ years, so I'm sorry for the noob questions :)

Last edited:

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
Hey @Kmpkt , question for you about using the Dynamo Combo.

I know from reading around that you can use the two halves to power different parts of your computer (like the Mini on the CPU and the 360 on the GPU). I'm kind of confused as to how this works with the ACDC component of the power supply. Does it mean if you have a 330W brick, you can send 330W of power to both the Dynamo 360 and the Mini simultaneously?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to figure out my options for a build estimated at 340W until we get the HDPlex 400W ACDC.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Please correct me, if I'm wrong. From my own understanding - if I purchase this psu, I still need one of those little black box ac adapters that you usually see for laptops. Where should I be buying this, and what kind of precautions do I need to make if I try to buy this from a cheaper source?

If you're going to use the Dynamo Combo and you want to use it at its peak capacity (520W) then your two best options would be the Lulzbot 500W AC-DC adapter, the Eurocom 780W AC-DC adapter or a modified G-Unique 19V Dell Adapter. Alternatively you can use multiple HDPlex AC-DC units to provide the power the system requires.

New Dynamo mini?
Care to elaporate on that? Or do i/we have to wait for release?

Nothing earth shattering in this revision. Have added an MSM chip to lower idle power consumption as well as improving overall performance as well as improving the sync function for the rare cases where power down doesn't work properly with your system.

I know from reading around that you can use the two halves to power different parts of your computer (like the Mini on the CPU and the 360 on the GPU). I'm kind of confused as to how this works with the ACDC component of the power supply. Does it mean if you have a 330W brick, you can send 330W of power to both the Dynamo 360 and the Mini simultaneously?

That is essentially correct. The new revision of the Dynamo 360 will be able to run in either single or double AC-DC mode. In standard mode (single AC-DC) a single unit (ie. HDPlex 400W AC-DC) can power the 360 with a passthrough to the Dynamo Mini. In double AC-DC mode one unit will power the AC-DC while a second unit will passthrough to the Dynamo Mini specifically.

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
That is essentially correct. The new revision of the Dynamo 360 will be able to run in either single or double AC-DC mode. In standard mode (single AC-DC) a single unit (ie. HDPlex 400W AC-DC) can power the 360 with a passthrough to the Dynamo Mini. In double AC-DC mode one unit will power the AC-DC while a second unit will passthrough to the Dynamo Mini specifically.
So I could use a single 330W brick for a system pulling around 330W, so long as I split the MB and GPU power? Sorry, I'm not fully understanding.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you plug the 330W brick into the Dynamo 360's DC-IN header and the Dynamo Mini into the Dynamo 360's DC-OUT header you'll have a total draw of 330W which will be distributed through the entire system as needed.

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
Okay, I think I'm getting it but I didn't ask my question in the right way. It was more like "if I split power then does the Mini get 160 and the 360 gets 330 as well", but if I'm understanding correctly the answer is no. Thanks for the explanations though, and I guess it all comes down for waiting on the HDPlex for a higher watt internal solution.

Reactions: Kmpkt

bke

Case Bender
Oct 18, 2018
Hi, @Kmpkt
I am in the USA looking for the Dynamo 360 and Mini 160 combo. It looks to be the perfect solution for me but the only store I could find it on was sfflab and there it looks to be all gone. Any help hunting this combo down or word on availability?
Thanks

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Dynamo Minis should be restocked before the end of the month and the Dynamo 360 is currently undergoing a slight redesign and is a little way off unfortunately. If you'd be keen to get a Mini once they're out I am pretty sure I have a spare 360 I could sell. PM if you're keen.

bke

Case Bender
Oct 18, 2018
PM sent I think. Also, I won't be able to complete the build till Jan-Feb. Does that roughly meet the "little way off" requirement or not quite?

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Currently, my build consists of HDplex 160 DC-DC powered by Meanwell 24V 200UHP, on a 8700, 1060 mini, 2x2.5 hdd.
Planning to upgrade the graphics with 2070 mini.
I'm sure the current setup cannot handle that combo.
If I'm adding a Dynamo 360 powered by a HDplex 160AC-DC (I already own).
Can I combine with existing setup to power all like below.

AC>Meanwell 200>Dynamo360>Graphics card
AC>HDPLex 160AC-DC>HDplex DC-DC > CPU & HDD

Would that work

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That is somewhat up in the air. I am receiving the newest revision for the weekend and will likely go to production as soon as I have the funds to do so (Mid December). The downside is that this might land me on the wrong side of Chinese New Year for production which pushes actual availability out a couple of months. I will keep you guys posted.

wailem

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 10, 2018
Im having a problem I don't see anywhere else. I have the combo and the led lights up on the 360 and the hardrive whirrs just fine AS LONG AS I don't have the DC out going from the 360 to the 160. When I do that the led does not turn on, hardrives don't whirr, and the PSU stops giving power until I unplug it and replug it. I have the new 160 and the old 360. Thoughts? Thank you.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey @wailem

Any chance you could double check the jumper headers to verify that they are in the correct position? While it is uncommon, I have had units ship before with the jumper either not installed or alternatively with the jumper on the wrong headers. Cheers,

KMPKT