Completed DeskNano x300 - a 1.2L replacement for the DeskMini a300/x300

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
damn, everything looks so good
gpu casing looks broken 9th picture?

Fixed as promised (lengthened a cable). Oh and new color scheme :)

Drewzy

Caliper Novice
Jul 31, 2022
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is it as easy as taking the stl files to a maker space, uploading them into the printer and pressing “go”? I finally have a reason to print something cool so I’m interested in learning, but I’m very clueless with this stuff…

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Hi, i see not usb port in side case like original case

Just no room anywhere for the ASRock usb connector, except on the lids for 47mm+ coolers. I experimented making one for the axp-47, but the traditional "Motherboard USB-2.0 to Dual USB-A Female" dongle thing is still too large to work. What does fit is getting two "USB-A Female to DIP" Pcbs, which are very small, and soldering these to a pigtail with the USB-2.0 Header, to create a very small adapter. Since these are really small, they can fit into a cutout on the lid. But this is just a mockup for the idea, and its not published or tested.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is it as easy as taking the stl files to a maker space, uploading them into the printer and pressing “go”? I finally have a reason to print something cool so I’m interested in learning, but I’m very clueless with this stuff…

The files aren't "sliced", so you have to do that part yourself. But pretty much all the parts except the central core are easy to print. The core is about a 10 hour print with .4mm nozzle and .2mm layer with a lot of fine details and bridging. The most common print failure on this piece for me was partial failures on the vertical "towers" by the VRM ventilation breaking, but other than that area had basically no print failures. Then you need m3 screws and to solder a short 16mm switch to the power cable, which i'm sure someone at the maker space would be able to help with. There is a link to the recommended switch in the guide.

Last edited:

Drewzy

Caliper Novice
Jul 31, 2022
Just no room anywhere for the ASRock usb connector, except on the lids for 47mm+ coolers. I experimented making one for the axp-47, but the traditional "Motherboard USB-2.0 to Dual USB-A Female" dongle thing is still too large to work. What does fit is getting two "USB-A Female to DIP" Pcbs, which are very small, and soldering these to a pigtail with the USB-2.0 Header, to create a very small adapter. Since these are really small, they can fit into a cutout on the lid. But this is just a mockup for the idea, and its not published or tested.

The files aren't "sliced", so you have to do that part yourself. But pretty much all the parts except the central core are easy to print. The core is about a 10 hour print with .4mm nozzle and .2mm layer with a lot of fine details and bridging. The most common print failure on this piece for me was partial failures on the vertical "towers" by the VRM ventilation breaking, but other than that area had basically no print failures. Then you need m3 screws and to solder a short 16mm switch to the power cable, which i'm sure someone at the maker space would be able to help with. There is a link to the recommended switch in the guide.
Beautiful! Thank you!

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
One new model added by request - a caddy to add a single standard 7mm thickness SSD to the rear.

Compared to the double 2.5" storage bay, this single SSD version preserves access to the tray screws and unobstructed access to the m.2 slot, as well as being slimmer.

The lower piece is optional, so it doesn't require any disassembly in order to access the m.2 area or to remove the tray. It's also ventilated in both the VRM and m.2 areas.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
The DeskMini board is just so small that it was causing issues with trying to sandwich taller video cards to the other side.

For this reason I came up with a taller expansion slot module version which elevates the whole case by 5mm, so it should be more compatible with larger cards like the 3080 and MSI Aero series (125mm Height). I've published this on printables.

I also took a look at prototyping the internal HDPlex version (mounting it under the case when using a dual-slot card), but I don't think it is feasible.

Internal HDPlex concept

1) It can't be done in a space efficient way, so making it internal it just detracts from the overall compactness of the setup.

2) The design would be flimsy and unstable due to the heightened center of gravity. Adding a thicker central spine would then cause the riser to be misaligned, requiring additional versions of the expansion module.

So I have decided to focus development on a new project which will allow much better modularity between power supplies, graphics/storage, and form factors, while still being backward compatible with DeskNano. It will also be more mainstream as I'll be taking the concepts from DeskNano and applying it to the ITX space. I don't plan to design any further modules for this case so this is the end of development.

Last edited:

Drewzy

Caliper Novice
Jul 31, 2022
The DeskMini board is just so small that it was causing issues with trying to sandwich taller video cards to the other side.

For this reason I came up with a taller expansion slot module version which elevates the whole case by 5mm, so it should be more compatible with larger cards like the 3080 and MSI Aero series (125mm Height). I've published this on printables.

I also took a look at prototyping the internal HDPlex version (mounting it under the case when using a dual-slot card), but I don't think it is feasible.

Internal HDPlex concept

1) It can't be done in a space efficient way, so making it internal it just detracts from the overall compactness of the setup.

2) The design would be flimsy and unstable due to the heightened center of gravity. Adding a thicker central spine would then cause the riser to be misaligned, requiring additional versions of the expansion module.

So I have decided to focus development on a new project which will allow much better modularity between power supplies, graphics/storage, and form factors, while still being backward compatible with DeskNano. It will also be more mainstream as I'll be taking the concepts from DeskNano and applying it to the ITX space. I don't plan to design any further modules for this case so this is the end of development.
Can you clarify what you mean re: "while still being backwards compatible with desk nano" vs "this is the end of development (for desk nano)"? Do you mean the new project will be compatible with desk mini?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Can you clarify what you mean re: "while still being backwards compatible with desk nano" vs "this is the end of development (for desk nano)"? Do you mean the new project will be compatible with desk mini?
Yes, it will support multiple form factors (and the original Desknano case). It's a family of cases under a single system.

Drewzy

Caliper Novice
Jul 31, 2022
Yes, it will support multiple form factors (and the original Desknano case). It's a family of cases under a single system.
Can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve, this time! I just assembled my own desknano and I am absolutely impressed with the ingenuity that you exercised in this project.

Reactions: Arboreal

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Finally, built my desknano 😊 but unfortunately it doesn't fit with my be quiet! mc1 😟

Nice print, looks great. I've never seen anyone print that style version yet so you might be the first.

Although the top side m.2 won't accommodate standard m.2 heatsinks, it might be possible to use VGA Dram styled heatsinks.

The rear m.2 can accommodate a standard m.2 heatsink when combined with the ssd caddy expansion (this will give about an extra 10mm vertical clearance to the m.2 slot).

Reactions: maszd

maszd

Efficiency Noob
Aug 30, 2022
Hi @msystems i'm bit counfuse about switch indocator between power led and hdd led, currently only use hdd led, can i get two led in one switch or is separate led? this my current switch (5v)

Thanks.

Drewzy

Caliper Novice
Jul 31, 2022
2-Slot, 200mm length "Pico" version of the GPU module has been built. Room for one SSD was integrated.

Compatibility:
Length- 201mm max with the Pico, or unlimited with external power
Width- 2 slots
Height- Reference height recommended, but the module can be inverted for more height and the input power socket relocated
Input Voltage- 16 to 24v with the Pico
TDP- Less than 200w with the Pico

Full writeup is posted on egpu.io

Files

Although this version is super compact, making the cabling for the Pico is not very fun, so i'd only recommend going the Pico route it if you really enjoy modding and making cables. And the reliability of the Pico is unknown.

The HDPlex version will be much more "off the shelf" and doesn't need any custom cables, except for the latching switch, which is optional (it can just be jumpered "on" permanently).
Do you remember having to change any configurations in the BIOS to use the rear m2 for the gpu riser?

For some reason, my setup only works if the riser is connected to the front m2. I know the rear m2 slot works because I put my boot drive back there and everything works perfectly. I get video out of the gpu and everything. But switch them around and the gpu doesnt register at all. Using a Pico 200 to power the gpu.