Completed J-HACK LANDER for Deskmini

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
Greetings msystems, I hope everything is still going well for you, tell me I would have some little information:
I had ordered your "Lander 55" case concept (full black color) for DeskMini a little over a year ago now and it had been ordered and machined through the "J-HACK" site, and so I would need to know from which material it had been printed (sorry if the question may seem really stupid to you but as much as I master Hardware/Overclocking but in 3D printing I know strictly "NOTHING"😅).

And one last thing, why is this case model no longer orderable on the "J-HACK" website, and where could I order another one with some additional options if I need them because as you must suspect from my requests, I don't have a 3D printer at home (and besides, I don't know anyone who has one or actually uses one) so I don't really know how to do it?

king_ben

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2023
(...) I would need to know from which material it had been printed (...).

As long as you don't need to make a part for the case you already have, I think you have a bit of a choice there. I would try PETG - PLA has a fairly low melting point and PCs can get pretty hot. Not sure it would be an issue, but it gives me peace of mind.

And one last thing, why is this case model no longer orderable on the "J-HACK" website, and where could I order another one with some additional options if I need them because as you must suspect from my requests, I don't have a 3D printer at home (and besides, I don't know anyone who has one or actually uses one) so I don't really know how to do it?

I had the same issue, but luckily there is a local maker space about half an hour from me that has a lot of printers. If that is not the case for you, there are lots of "3D printing as a service" websites, many of which ship internationally.

king_ben

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2023
I really, really wanted a printed case for my X300 based mini server since I first read of the DeskNano. My main gripe with the stock case was that three of the four SSDs are behind the mainboard and completely out of any air flow. Long read/write periods, e.g. when rebuilding the SnapRAID array, would make the drives overheat and cause SSD speed to tank completely. So the DeskNano rear drive cage with active cooling option seemed perfect.

Unfortunately, the DeskNano's side USB option was not mature, if I understood correctly, which was improved in the Lander models. Those didn't have fan mounting holes on the rear drive bay though. Also, I had been looking into putting an NBase-T (2.5 GBit/s) E/A-Key M.2 card in the WiFi slot, and that required an opening for the ethernet port. So I had to do some modifications.

I guess my spatial thinking isn't the greatest because it took me forever, but I finally decided there should be enough space in the front next to the side USB ports to put in the extra ethernet port.

After lots (and I mean *lots*) of trial & error in Fusion 360, I finally had the files ready to print. Here is the first result:

With USB & ethernet:

And the fan fits snugly:

Next step:

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
As the ASRock DeskMni X600 is finally available at the market,
I can confirm, that the Lander 37 case will fit the STX Board as it basically reused the old X300 layout! :)

Here is my old video about the Lander 37 case:

And here is my new hands-on video arround the DeskMini X600:

I do a full unboxing, disassembly and VRM / PCB Breakdown with detailed images.
In this I have also included a rather indepth guide on how-to update the firmware & bios as ASRock has confirmed it as beeing mandatory.
Furthermore I also compared my previous test with the RYZEN 8700G + DDR5-6400 CL32 on an A620i (Desktop) with the RYZEN 8700G + DDR5-6400 CL38 in the DeskMini X600. Hopefully my results are helpful! <3

Kind regards

king_ben

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2023
I had printed my modified Lander Lid w/ Ethernet with yellow PETG Prusament that the maker space had lying around, and it worked really well. For the body I wanted another color to complement the look, and I had ordered Creality PETG in glossy blue. Unfortunately, the settings may have been off for this filament, because I had a lot of stringing. Yes, this is my first experience with 3D printing, so this is normal, but still.

You can see I closed the hole in the top because I was not going to install antennas. Instead, I kind of mirrored the bottom side. That was a bit of work. ;-)

With all the honeycomb, I used organic supports and boy were they a pain to remove. In the end I used a dremel to try and get a bit smoother surfaces, but I am thinking there has to be a better solution.

I had made the rear storage tray wider to also accomodate a fan - between the rear NVMe and the dual SATA SSDs to cool them all and prevent transfer rates from collapsing completely during prolonged R/W.

Here, I omitted the supports - despite having added honeycomb at top and bottom to match the case's style. However, the top and bottom walls are much slimmer than on the main base and my honeycomb came very close to the edge, so it endangers structural integrity. If I were to re-print, I'd leave a wider rim.

Not only that, I had read that you could get rid of some stringing with a heat gun. I underestimated the heat though, and slightly melted one of the honeycombed sides, making it warp. Stupid.

The moment of truth came when I transplanted the components. With my extra ethernet card and its flat band cable, the side USB port and its cable and the rear fan, things get claustrophobic inside the Lander 37. Maybe the 55 would have been better. Fitting the rear 2.5" SSDs was also hard, as my redesign meant the cables were just long enough.

It cost me a bit of sweat to get everything in the case, and due to my lack in 3D printing experience it will not gain any beauty prize. But everything worked upon first boot. And my main aims were fulfilled, I think - my X300 now has a more future-proof NBase-T port, and my SSDs are much, much cooler.

Here it is in its new habitat - sorry for the mess: