Completed DeskNano x300 - a 1.2L replacement for the DeskMini a300/x300

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Are you doing this all for free? Surely not!

Thank you. I have a store to sell the parts but it is just a hobby project.

The original design has a problem because the switch needs the cable from the original case, and required soldering. So its hard for some hobbyist, and also impossible to produce.

I didn't want to compromise the design, because it looks really nice with this switch. So I found the suppliers for the parts to make and sell these switches in a store. But it still takes very long for me to make the switch.

For next version I will try to integrate & re-use the stock switch and use very common hardware. This will make it easier, since you don't need anything but 8 screws to make this & I don't need to do the store.

Last edited:

Josu

Cable Smoosher
Aug 15, 2021
Hello, I am a bit confused, when I am buying this case, I also need to buy deskmini?
Very nice design for portable PC, want to make something like this for my mom

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Minor addition to the models by request - a Lid Shim which will let you offset the height of the lids. Although you can already scale the Z-height of the lids themselves, this could be useful to someone.

Edit:

I also just realized that you can apply the "Mesh" technique to the Tray and Tray cover for extra thermal performance.
It will add breathability behind the socket and to the backside of the VRM at the cost of some rigidity and protection from liquids and whatnot, so be careful if doing that. You should use it selectively as explained here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arboreal

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
I don't think you can find them at MSRP any more. You can find them on Ali Express "AsRock official flagship store", Amazon JP, ebay, etc.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
A few model updates on Printables

1) Gpu bay now has a nice stable base.

2) Added ventilation to storage bay on the vertical edge

3) Increased the room around the L9A-92 mesh lid to reduce possible vibration and wind turbulence issues. The mesh is still pretty close to the fan. You can print a 1-2mm shim to further reduce turbulence if you need to.

More Gpu bay styles should be coming soon, and each version will have a 1 and 2 slot model.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
By request added support for AXP 90 (cutout), and two styles of mesh lids that should fit the Deskmini internal usb hub, as well as provide clearance up to 47mm.

Two versions of the usb lid with different amounts of horizontal clearances to the socket. This feature is untested.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Due to the delays with the HDPlex 250w Gan, the first internal PSU to be supported by the GPU module will be the Picobox 200 dcdc, a somewhat obscure but perfect sized dc module found on Taobao/Ali for $20-40 but capable of powering up to a slightly tamed RTX 3060. It can either be given it it's own dedicated 19v brick, or, share a single brick like a 300w Dell, which powers the GPU and the DeskMini together on a Y-splitter. This is only for advanced users as it will need it's own wiring harness. Rough volume of the case with the Pico, 2 slot GPU and single brick will be approximately 3.6 Liters, and with 2 bricks approximately 4 Liters.

After that I will add support for HDPlex 250w GAN and HDPlex 400w dc-dc together, as they have the same exact hole patterns, so it's the same design. Depending on power needs there are many possible configurations with these modules:
1) Brickless. HDPlex 250w GAN, 12vEPS to Barrel Cable for DeskMini, Midrange GPU such as RTX 3050
2) Internal + Stock Brick. HDPlex 250w GAN Internal for GPU up to 3060ti, Stock Brick for DeskMini, No Y-Splitter
3) Single [BIG] Brick. HDPlex 400w DC-DC Internal, Y-Splitter for DeskMini, GPU up to 3060ti, use Dell 300w brick.
4) Dual Brick. HDPlex 400w DC-DC for GPU up to 3080(?), Brick for gpu, stock brick for DeskMini, No Y-Splitter

Edit: #5) Half height GPU with HDPlex Gan occupying vacant space in dual slot area, total volume approx 2.9L

These are almost plug and play as there is not much custom wiring. Rough volume of the case will be about 4 Liters with HDPlex mounted underneath internally, but ultimately depending on GPU length.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Few renders of the GPU Shroud, meant for aesthetics, a bit of protection for the card, and cable management.

First one here supports Amass XT90E-M connectors (sold on Ali Express) and will be intended for DC pass-thru application.

Pictured GPU Length 308 mm

IEC C14 should also fit, and others.

Cable management should be pretty easy due to the backplate clearance and room beneath the card. A slim SSD like a Samsung Evo can also fit behind the backplate, but I don't know the exact positioning yet.

There is just enough clearance underneath for the usual PCI-e connector and bend radius. Of course, a 180 degree connector will work cleanly as well.

With a half-height card like a RX6400 or GTX 1650, in theory the HDPlex GAN can fit sideways internally, making a 2.9 Liter system with internal power (Y-splitter for Deskmini).

Pictured GPU Length 168 mm

With a full size card, the HDPlex GAN (or DC) needs room below to avoid interference with the PCI-E connector, so the entire shroud will be expanded in height and the case will be slightly elevated.

This is just conceptual but should be tested some time soon

Last edited:

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
I'm waiting for a deskmini with ryzen 6000 support. 680M gpu seems quite enough for my needs. (who knows maybe desktop cpus come with beefier onboard gpu.) Then I can change the case with yours.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
2-Slot, 200mm length "Pico" version of the GPU module has been built. Room for one SSD was integrated.

Compatibility:
Length- 201mm max with the Pico, or unlimited with external power
Width- 2 slots
Height- Reference height recommended, but the module can be inverted for more height and the input power socket relocated
Input Voltage- 16 to 24v with the Pico
TDP- Less than 200w with the Pico

Full writeup is posted on egpu.io

Files

Although this version is super compact, making the cabling for the Pico is not very fun, so i'd only recommend going the Pico route it if you really enjoy modding and making cables. And the reliability of the Pico is unknown.

The HDPlex version will be much more "off the shelf" and doesn't need any custom cables, except for the latching switch, which is optional (it can just be jumpered "on" permanently).

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Its due to the riser cable I made just being stuffed in there (to hide it) and i'll have to adjust it tomorrow so it fits nicely