Concept DeskGo and DeskStudio - More custom DeskMini options!

Kaji

Average Stuffer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Jun 1, 2020

Printables link containing all files - Supports A300, X300 and X600

Most of you are probably already aware of @msystems's fantastic DeskNano designs which have been available for a little while already. Check them out if you haven't!

I wanted to build off the foundation that he laid and offer a couple of extra options catering to the following criteria:
  • Neutral appearance
  • Designed that all sides are printed in their strongest orientation
  • Filler options for de-soldered VGA systems
  • Easily customized side panels
  • Internal Wi-Fi (laptop solution)
  • LOADS of side panel options
  • Supports ASRock DeskMini A300, X300 and X600
DeskGo Specs
  • Total Volume of 1.35L
  • Fits <37mm CPU heatsink with breathing room (3-4mm)
  • Fits 15mm slim Noctua NF-A12x15
DeskStudio Specs
  • Total volume of 1.8L
  • Fits <48mm CPU heatsink with breathing room (3-4mm)
  • Fits 25mm full height Noctua NF-A12x25

DeskStudio TALL Specs

• Same as standard DeskStudio +5mm height (now 1.9L in total volume)
  • Supports <53mm CPU heatsink with breathing room (3-4mm)
Note: "Breathing room" is unoccupied space so cases may support taller heatsinks than advertised

This project is somewhat completed on my end with no intention to sell or make a profit. All files are offered for FREE via the Printables link above.
I will continue to offer support with modifications and adjustments. Please reach out below should you have any questions/requests.

HydrAxx747

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 23, 2021
The design is really nice(I especially like their sober sides) but it's a bit annoying that you can only mount up to 48mm height for the heat sink, I couldn't mount my Thermalright AXP90-X53 Full Copper, so far only the "Lander 55" from "msystems" allows it(up to even 55mm as indicated in its model designation I think). But nice work all the same!

Reactions: Kaji

Kaji

Average Stuffer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Jun 1, 2020
The design is really nice(I especially like their sober sides) but it's a bit annoying that you can only mount up to 48mm height for the heat sink, I couldn't mount my Thermalright AXP90-X53 Full Copper, so far only the "Lander 55" from "msystems" allows it(up to even 55mm as indicated in its model designation I think). But nice work all the same!
Ask and you shall receive 🙂

HydrAxx747

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 23, 2021
Ask and you shall receive 🙂

View attachment 3488
Thank you very much, sorry I hadn't noticed.

And since you told me to ask, I'll take you at your word (but it's mainly I admit to having no knowledge of 3D printing and too little in modeling😅). Could you add on the front panel two slots to fix female USB Type C ports because I use on my secondary M.2 port (which I move via an extension adapter so no worries about the extra thickness under the motherboard) to put an M.2 adapter to 2 USB v3.2 gen2 ports (10Gbps each) in USB Type C formats with a dedicated ASMedia ASM3142 controller, at worst I'll give you a link if you want to see first via the detailed photos of the product the spacing between the two fixing points of the female USB Type C outputs (or I can measure them to the nearest millimeter directly on one of my ports if necessary?):

aliexpress.com/item/1005006415521603.html

And two last little details😅:

-I use the standard USB 2.0 port extension that was supplied with the "Lander 37 and 55" with "2 additional USB 2.0 Type A ports" options (two USB 2.0 ports placed on a piece of rectangular PCB that was fixed on the top plate next to the 120mm fan opening), the dimensions between fixing points, as well as the openings and spacings between the two ports are exactly the same as those of the original DeskMini X300/X600 cases (top plate side) and at worst I found the product sheet on AliExpress with quality photos of this extension and if they could be on the front that would be ideal:

aliexpress.com/item/1005007310371009.html

And the last thing, I use the official and "optional" ASRock "Rear Audio Cable" extension which I use to connect my 2.1 speaker kit (the original headphone output is not really suitable for this), it is just a 3.5mm Stereo Jack output which is fixed on a metal support adapted to be fixed on one of the possible "COM" port openings (to be detached) on the original case of the DeskMini X300/X600 at the back, I also put pictures of the adapter cable and how it is fixed on the original case if that can help you a little better, and ideally if it could be placed above the 2.5G LAN port (or next to it):

A huge thank you in advance, if you could make these small changes😅

Kaji

Average Stuffer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Jun 1, 2020
Thank you very much, sorry I hadn't noticed.

And since you told me to ask, I'll take you at your word (but it's mainly I admit to having no knowledge of 3D printing and too little in modeling😅). Could you add on the front panel two slots to fix female USB Type C ports because I use on my secondary M.2 port (which I move via an extension adapter so no worries about the extra thickness under the motherboard) to put an M.2 adapter to 2 USB v3.2 gen2 ports (10Gbps each) in USB Type C formats with a dedicated ASMedia ASM3142 controller, at worst I'll give you a link if you want to see first via the detailed photos of the product the spacing between the two fixing points of the female USB Type C outputs (or I can measure them to the nearest millimeter directly on one of my ports if necessary?):

aliexpress.com/item/1005006415521603.html

And two last little details😅:

-I use the standard USB 2.0 port extension that was supplied with the "Lander 37 and 55" with "2 additional USB 2.0 Type A ports" options (two USB 2.0 ports placed on a piece of rectangular PCB that was fixed on the top plate next to the 120mm fan opening), the dimensions between fixing points, as well as the openings and spacings between the two ports are exactly the same as those of the original DeskMini X300/X600 cases (top plate side) and at worst I found the product sheet on AliExpress with quality photos of this extension and if they could be on the front that would be ideal:

aliexpress.com/item/1005007310371009.html

And the last thing, I use the official and "optional" ASRock "Rear Audio Cable" extension which I use to connect my 2.1 speaker kit (the original headphone output is not really suitable for this), it is just a 3.5mm Stereo Jack output which is fixed on a metal support adapted to be fixed on one of the possible "COM" port openings (to be detached) on the original case of the DeskMini X300/X600 at the back, I also put pictures of the adapter cable and how it is fixed on the original case if that can help you a little better, and ideally if it could be placed above the 2.5G LAN port (or next to it):

A huge thank you in advance, if you could make these small changes😅
No no you didn't miss them, I only added them after your message 😁

Sure I can take a look into those mods. I'll get you to send me as accurate dimensions as possible for your dual Type-C spacing/mounting as well as for the 3.5mm add-on. The dual Type-As shouldn't be an issue as I've got the same board on-hand.

Where would you like the Type-As? Front panel alongside the existing IO and added Type-C cutouts?

Reactions: HydrAxx747

HydrAxx747

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 23, 2021
Concerning, the USB Type A as you propose on the front would suit me perfectly. On the other hand, unfortunately I have to go to work (I'm on a half-day today so it's still ok😅) so I'll take the measurements you ask for when I get back in about 4 to 5 hours maximum and send them, a small detail: the measurements I suppose you want me to take them from the center of each fixing point? or from their ends (at the widest)?

Otherwise, thank you very much for your help by the way😉
See you later.

Kaji

Average Stuffer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Jun 1, 2020
Concerning, the USB Type A as you propose on the front would suit me perfectly. On the other hand, unfortunately I have to go to work (I'm on a half-day today so it's still ok😅) so I'll take the measurements you ask for when I get back in about 4 to 5 hours maximum and send them, a small detail: the measurements I suppose you want me to take them from the center of each fixing point? or from their ends (at the widest)?

Otherwise, thank you very much for your help by the way😉
See you later.
No stress! I'm not starting this today anyway (it's almost 8pm here).
For measurements;
  1. Screw size
  2. Distance between screw holes (from center to center)
  3. Distance between the two Type-C ports
Same goes for the 3.5mm add-on, but swap number 3 for the dimensions of that square housing.

HydrAxx747

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 23, 2021
No stress! I'm not starting this today anyway (it's almost 8pm here).
For measurements;
  1. Screw size
  2. Distance between screw holes (from center to center)
  3. Distance between the two Type-C ports
Same goes for the 3.5mm add-on, but swap number 3 for the dimensions of that square housing.
Greetings I'm finally back,
I did the measurements as best I could,
so:

1/ Concerning the diameter of the screw threads for the USB type C, we are at least on 2.5mm (the holes to screw each header on the original bracket have a diameter of 3mm). For the 3.5mm Jack header, the screws have a diameter of 3mm and the screw holes fit perfectly tight (without the slightest play)

2/For the USB type C, for each header, the distance (from the center to the center) of each screw hole is exactly 20mm.
And concerning the 3.5mm Jack header, the distance (from the center to the center) of each screw hole is 26mm.

3/And concerning the distance between the USB Type C headers, there is no real distance to respect because the two headers are separate and each on a different cable (you can see it for yourself on the photos of the accessories of the 2xUSB Type C kit in the first link on my previous post)
And for the square housing of the 3.5mm Jack header, its total height is 10mm for a total width of 30mm.

There you go, I hope it will go well😉

Kaji

Average Stuffer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Jun 1, 2020
Update - Added files for the following:
  • Power button on front panel option (all variations)
  • USB2.0 add-on for front panel (all variations)
  • USB2.0 add-on for rear panel (all variations)
  • 3.5mm audio add-on for rear panel (all variations)
  • Dual Type-C custom add-on for front panel (all variations)
All files can be found over at Printables in the extras and add-on folders

@HydrAxx747 see above 👍
(and let me know if you need any adjustments)

Kaji

Average Stuffer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Jun 1, 2020
I figured I'd add some internal shots so you all can get a better understanding of how it goes together

Bottom housing with all four panels seated:

Top housing with fan and internal/laptop Wi-Fi antennas installed:

Wi-Fi antennas can also be installed here on this larger section (my cables weren't long enough):

Close up on the adhesion to top housing:

And finally, this is how you should expect to seat all panels together:

Outer=The bottom housing, Middle=The four panels, Inner=The top housing

This causes the panels to get sandwiched in place from back, front, top and bottom. The bottom housing also has a male part which seats inside the top housing to secure and strengthen the edges of the case

Pictures are of the DeskStudio

HydrAxx747

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 23, 2021
Update - Added files for the following:
  • Power button on front panel option (all variations)
  • USB2.0 add-on for front panel (all variations)
  • USB2.0 add-on for rear panel (all variations)
  • 3.5mm audio add-on for rear panel (all variations)
  • Dual Type-C custom add-on for front panel (all variations)
All files can be found over at Printables in the extras and add-on folders

@HydrAxx747 see above 👍
(and let me know if you need any adjustments)
Thank you very much! Excellent work, fast and qualitative moreover, I will have all this printed by a specialized store near me with the materials that you recommend as soon as I have a quiet weekend for myself😅 and I will keep you informed of my tests, thank you again😉

Kaji

Average Stuffer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Jun 1, 2020
Thank you very much! Excellent work, fast and qualitative moreover, I will have all this printed by a specialized store near me with the materials that you recommend as soon as I have a quiet weekend for myself😅 and I will keep you informed of my tests, thank you again😉
Best of luck

For the bottom and top housing, I would advise to use these settings
  • 4 wall loops
  • cross hatch or gyroid infill pattern with 20% density

As for the panels, this is critical otherwise they won't be perforated
  • 4 wall loops
  • 0 top shell layers
  • 0 bottom shell layers
  • Rectilinear infill pattern with 20-30% density (less=more airflow, pictures in original post were printed at 30%)
    Recilinear can be substituted for other patterns, download a slicer (such as BambuStudio) and test for yourself
  • Also not shown in the screenshot, infill direction (optional change)
    Default is 45 degrees/diagonal lines, pictures in original post were printed at 0 degrees resulting in parallel/flat lines

Additionally, if they are using a multi color system then they can fill this part with a different color for a dual-tone top housing

Reactions: rfarmer