Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
Can all 3700x users with a black ridge+120mm fan share which mobo they are using?
I have a ASRock b350 gaming itx and I don't have to mod the vrm heatsinks. Is there a compatibility list for this thing with a 120mm fan?

Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI - Also allows for hard riser to be installed as there is enough clearance in the PCI-e slot. Not sure about most GPUs, due to backplate.

Regarding the RAM mentioned on previous page. It is ECC un-registered. Most motherboards support un-registered RAM, just double check the product descriptions as mentioned to make sure it's compatible.

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
How do you mount a slim 120mm on the black ridge?

With my Noctua A12x15 it causes a weird rattle sound. The fan seems to touch the holes of the 92mm screws. I ended up by attaching it using one of the 92mm screw.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019

With my Noctua A12x15 it causes a weird rattle sound. The fan seems to touch the holes of the 92mm screws. I ended up by attaching it using one of the 92mm screw.

Yeah I'm not sure why they thought having those 4 holes stick out 1-2mm was a good idea. My A12x15 does not touch the two closest to the PCIe slot, so I just left them but I ended up taking my Dremel to the other two so it would sit more flush against the heatsink. It's a very niche and fiddly product that's for certain.

rapidshrub

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI - Also allows for hard riser to be installed as there is enough clearance in the PCI-e slot. Not sure about most GPUs, due to backplate.

I can confirm that the Aorus B450i works with the Black ridge and a GPU with a backplate installed directly in the pcie slot. However it does make slight contact with the back of the card. I wouldn't install a GPU without a backplate in this setup out of fear that the Black ridge would cause a short.

I also have a MSI B450i on hand that I'm going to test the Black ridge on whenever I receive my new case.

ppding

Case Bender
Aug 13, 2019

Regarding the RAM mentioned on previous page. It is ECC un-registered. Most motherboards support un-registered RAM, just double check the product descriptions as mentioned to make sure it's compatible.
In terms of memory overclocking. How high can you push the frequency for your b die innodisk vlp ddr4. I ordered the same memory sticks today from the UK seller and I believe those are dual rank 16g sticks. Arent they?

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
In terms of memory overclocking. How high can you push the frequency for your b die innodisk vlp ddr4. I ordered the same memory sticks today from the UK seller and I believe those are dual rank 16g sticks. Arent they?

Yeah that sounds like the same ones I have. I tried using the DRAM calculator for the subtimings and such but it led to me having to clear BIOS. I'm currently stable at 3200MHz 17-18-18-18-35 and will probably just leave it there for the time being.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Yeah I'm not sure why they thought having those 4 holes stick out 1-2mm was a good idea. My A12x15 does not touch the two closest to the PCIe slot, so I just left them but I ended up taking my Dremel to the other two so it would sit more flush against the heatsink. It's a very niche and fiddly product that's for certain.

They probably had to do it that way because the metal plate is too thin to have enough threads on the hole for the screw to catch on.
So dremeling them (or using a simple metal file) will likely stop you for using them again.

Maybe offsetting the fan with the provided clips along with some plastic washers on the fan corners could work, but I don't own this cooler...

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Yeah that sounds like the same ones I have. I tried using the DRAM calculator for the subtimings and such but it led to me having to clear BIOS. I'm currently stable at 3200MHz 17-18-18-18-35 and will probably just leave it there for the time being.
What is the product sku on your sticks? Is it M4U0-8GS1VCIK

ppding

Case Bender
Aug 13, 2019
It's a bit disappointing for B die tbh maybe cos its dual rank stick. What DRAM voltage is applied when they are stable at 3200 c17? Have you tried to increase the voltage a bit more to around 1.4 to 1.45 as B die favours slightly higher voltage if cooling is not an issue because of the down draft cooler. It will be perfect if 3600 c16 is acheivable as its the sweet spot for Ryzen system.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
What is the product sku on your sticks? Is it M4U0-8GS1VCIK

No, mine is M4C0-AGS1TCSJ. I believe your product is the 8GB sticks, whereas the ones I got are the 16GB models.

It's a bit disappointing for B die tbh maybe cos its dual rank stick. What DRAM voltage is applied when they are stable at 3200 c17?

I'm running 1.45V at the moment but I haven't tried changing any of the timings yet since swapping from my Intel system. 3200MHz was the sweep spot for Intel if I recall? I'll see what I can do this weekend with manual adjustments and report back. Hopefully not too many resets required!

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
It's a bit disappointing for B die tbh maybe cos its dual rank stick. What DRAM voltage is applied when they are stable at 3200 c17? Have you tried to increase the voltage a bit more to around 1.4 to 1.45 as B die favours slightly higher voltage if cooling is not an issue because of the down draft cooler. It will be perfect if 3600 c16 is acheivable as its the sweet spot for Ryzen system.

It is NOT B-die !! No one is making VLP sticks or kits from Samsung B-die !!
Headroom as you can see from what's already been posted, is 3200 ish max.
So you either live with that and use the Black Ridge, or swap it out for something that does not restrict ram height and use a B-die kit.
I can tell you from experience if you want a Ryzen 3xxx build you'll gain more from faster ram than the extra boost clock (you may get) from the Black Ridge and 120mm fan.

If you want an Intel build ram speed is far less important !!

Last edited:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
It is NOT B-die !! No one is making VLP sticks or kits from Samsung B-die !!
Headroom as you can see from what's already been posted, is 3200 ish max.
So you either live with that and use the Black Ridge, or swap it out for something that does not restrict ram height and use a B-die kit.
I can tell you from experience if you want a Ryzen 3xxx build you'll gain more from faster ram than the extra boost clock (you may get) from the Black Ridge and 120mm fan.

If you want an Intel build ram speed is far less important !!

is innodisk lying?

Reactions: Shinken1

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Well I'll be, that's the first time I've seen Innodisk advertise those kits as B-die. I remember when I first considered VLP (2 years ago) this was certainly not the case.
All I can say is that there are varying grades of B-die and these are clearly bottom bin that have no use in overclocking kits and are relegated to server / cheap modules.
Still, 3200mhz is more than we've seen from any other VLP., I'd surmise that to be the top end of what's possible with them though.
I'd still be chosing a different cooler and a good set of B-die from G-skill or Teamgroup !!

If I did want VLP, I wouldn't pay that for sticks with bottom bin modules, there are 16gb sticks of Samsung VLP (non B-die) for £72 on ebay that have been tested in the VLP thread at 3000.

Last edited:

vhannes

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 28, 2019
Has anyone looked into x570 compatibility with the cooler using a 120mm fan since the release or would I be better off waiting for b550/buying a previous gen board? Trying to keep the cooler and my vlp ram. In case of previous gen is there a favorite suitable itx board? (Not concerned about pcie 4.0)

Last edited:

PantherB

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
You should not forget that the sticks van0 and me are using are 16gb dual ranked sticks, 32gb in total. Dual ranks are not as easy to oc on am4 boards. Plus via dual rank configuration you already gain a sizeable performance boost. I'm content with 3133mhz cl16-15-15-15-35-52@1,35V and an soc voltage of only 0.965V which decreases CPU temperature a good bit (see my old post in this thread and the vlp thread). I love those sticks in combination with the black ridge

Last edited:

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
Just to confirm, I'm unable to get my sticks stable at 3600MHz until my timings make it perform worse than at 3200Mhz. So I will be leaving it at my previous settings.

Yeah I'm actually going to check out this later this week. I'm not sure why Thaiphoon burner says the VLP is Samsung B-die but after actually learning about it a bit more, it's either not and reporting wrong, or there's a separate type of B-die, I don't really know. But I've got a l9a + duct and some actual Samsung B-die 3200MHz CL14 RAM on it's way. I'll do some direct comparisons in games and compare the fps. If anyone has any games I particular they'd like me to compare, let me know in a PM.

Edit: Can't get anything stable on the new RAM using the DRAM calculator. Even importing Thaiphoon report is a no go. so I'm currently manually OCing. So the results might take a few more days yet, once I'm able to achieve max stable timings.

Last edited:

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
does anyone tries "Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 RDIMM VLP" ?

I am still thinking that regular faster ram "Kingston Technology HyperX Fury Black 32GB 3466MHz" is more important than 120x120 fan.