Concept Project Hermes - sub 50mm 120mm custom aircooler

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
May i ask you, what machine (power and/or hand) tools you planning to use for fins?
Want one? I've got materials for 2 coming in (mostly because of the minimum amounts) and only really have one motherboard

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
Want one? I've got materials for 2 coming in (mostly because of the minimum amounts) and only really have one motherboard
I'm pretty sure that if you manage to build a well performing sub 50mm 120mm aircooler, one person wanting one cooler will be a bit of a lowball number. ;)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just thought I'd link these here. Last year Be Quiet! put out this amazing series of videos showing how they make their heatsinks etc. Here you can see how they affix fins by baking the heatsink with a solder paste as well as the punching, pipe forming, etc.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
I'm pretty sure that if you manage to build a well performing sub 50mm 120mm aircooler, one person wanting one cooler will be a bit of a lowball number. ;)

XD I'm sure I will, I've got @Matias Petersen at least curious, and I'd like to send the second out to @Josh | NFC
I'll probably make the second one for the z370i/z270i if I can get my hands on a board for a few weeks (maybe a dead one?)

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Just thought I'd link these here. Last year Be Quiet! put out this amazing series of videos showing how they make their heatsinks etc. Here you can see how they affix fins by baking the heatsink with a solder paste as well as the punching, pipe forming, etc.

Wow, those are some great videos! Thanks for the share, I'll be trading speed & efficiency for meticulous and time consuming handicraft

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Nice project!
I had the same idea last year but found making an heatsink with fins was too complicated for me and ordering a custom one too expensive.
I then switched to making a custom aluminium heatsink attached to vapor chambers. All the parts are gathered but didn't start putting them together yet, soon hopefully...

My first hurdle is sourcing materials. The only place I've been able to find suitable heatpipes is aliexpress, I would love to find a north American or European source for every component in this project. If you know any, give me a shout.
Vapor chambers are available from Amec thermasol (UK).

Reactions: Damascus

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Nice project!
I had the same idea last year but found making an heatsink with fins was too complicated for me and ordering a custom one too expensive.
I then switched to making a custom aluminium heatsink attached to vapor chambers. All the parts are gathered but didn't start putting them together yet, soon hopefully...

Vapor chambers are available from Amec thermasol (UK).
Cool, I would up getting these 70x70mm one on aliexpress to match my narrow ILM mounting hardware.

70x70x3mm Super Copper Vapor Chamber Cooling thermal flat heat pipe block plate For Power LED PC CPU video card radiator
http://s.aliexpress.com/QBRfaiIz?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

This store is great BTW, they adjusted how many and what length of heatpipe you could order just because I asked.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Hey! There you are ;) How's it looking?
Pretty good so far, everything but the copper fins should be here before June 9th, and the shop sending me the pipes and V.C. had to delay shipping so I'm getting a mystery gift :p

My mobo should be here within a week as well, I can get on to the modeling once it's here (unless there's already a clearance model?)

Reactions: rosinbole

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Pretty good so far, everything but the copper fins should be here before June 9th, and the shop sending me the pipes and V.C. had to delay shipping so I'm getting a mystery gift :p

My mobo should be here within a week as well, I can get on to the modeling once it's here (unless there's already a clearance model?)
Our lovely friend who also runs the Mercury build log has publicised his clearance model of the asus strix z270i, look in the resourses section!

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Our lovely friend who also runs the Mercury build log has publicised his clearance model of the asus strix z270i, look in the resourses section!
Sweet, though the first prototype will be for my x99e-ITX - I want to be sure this works! :p

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Sure, you do you! If you wanna PM me how you're gonna do it, feel free... I promise I'm not going to use for anything else that a cooler for my own z270i!
;) You offered a while back to join me in this project, I'll PM you the details! The key to this will be the heatsinks and vapor chamber, of which I have a full extra set coming my way

Reactions: rosinbole

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Mar 7, 2018
This is great! It's also helpful that there are only 4 AM4 motherboards for now. I was always curious for heatsinks that took up all available space over the motherboard without getting in the way of any components such that the fins would effectively butt up against the GPU and case side walls. But then I'd need to make sure that there was proper ventilation for all that air to get out XD. Excited to see how this unfolds.

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
This is great! It's also helpful that there are only 4 AM4 motherboards for now. I was always curious for heatsinks that took up all available space over the motherboard without getting in the way of any components such that the fins would effectively butt up against the GPU and case side walls. But then I'd need to make sure that there was proper ventilation for all that air to get out XD. Excited to see how this unfolds.
I know I'm not a part of this project, but I could imagine designing some multi functional system if I were to help, so that you'd have one "universal block" to which extensions could be put on to make the whole thing like 100000x cheaper to manufacture... not sure how it'd work, but damascus could probably figure something out if he tried ;)

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
@Matias Petersen IOU a DM but you got my noggin joggin' on a universal design

@Kmpkt Cooked this up for a quick visualization, it's a custom radiator! 15mm by roughly 120mmx130mm using 8mm copper tubing, should be far easier to assemble than hermes and would be a mere 30mm when paired with a 15mm fan. As a side note, I desperately need a different CAD software. Sketch isn't doing it for me, though it was free lol. This is only my 3rd drawing with them so I haven't really learned anything seriously, feel like I should change ASAP. Maybe autodesk?

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
I think integrating these cheap and simple radiators into the side of a dancase or even an S4M could allow for before now unseen internally cooled performance. a custom panel that extends the top of the case and integrates the rad+fan, with a LP EK annihilator is my thought process right now