DAN C4-SFX

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
And now, lets just add the option for an mATX board (the bigger version essentially is already half way there, 244 mm is the regular size for mATX), and then its the ideal case for medium-sizes SFF builds! :)

cu, w0lf.

Its not that easy. mATX woudl require a height of 271mm (because of 10mm on top and bottom for the side panel clip zone +6mm inner and outer metal sheets). So its more like an 15.8L case. Furthermore this would only enable 240 AIO support because of the PSU position (facing front of the case). For facing side of the case the length needs to be 388mm. The total volume would increase to 17.5L. So a mATX with classic layout under 17L would sacrifice bigger cooling options or GPU support. If you make the case slimmer all the new cards will also not fit ;) At the end you will just have a big case for supporting mATX without benefits. This is why the A3 is a different size class.

Dampfbox

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
Personally I like the bigger one because it allows better top rad/fans compatibility
This is actually the main benefit over the 13.37 L version, because (given that GPUs are actually broadly available) there are enough GPU choices even for the smaller version.

I'd still say stick with the 13.37 L design.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
is this still a SFF case?
Yes, the usual metric (came from Intel originally IIRC) is SFF is sub 20L.
USFF is reckoned to be sub 10L.

@dondan I did think "A3?" when an mATX expansion was suggested to the C4.
The A3 seems to have that one covered nicely.
The 14+ L version looks good and well proportioned in my humble opinion, it is as valid as the 13.37L version with hopefully sufficient room to cope with large and hot running components.

xil22

Chassis Packer
Sep 24, 2022
I think that the bigger 14L case is the best to go. No need to go for 15L or 16L, we all know we have to sacrifice some bit of cooling for a smaller case.

The A3-mATX is already a good compromise for those who want better cooling.

wolfwing213

Case Bender
New User
Sep 28, 2022
I think a lot of people would be fine waiting for the larger case as we've already waited this long and will most likely wait longer for the new AMD cards along with the NVIDIA gpus being released. If the extra size allows for the Phanteks T30 with smaller (<4080) size GPUs that would also be a benefit imo

Zoduk

Case Bender
New User
Sep 29, 2022
Not having that option of at least a few 4090 would be a detriment, the changes is so small people would barely notice it. But GPU compatability would be a factor for sure. Who's to say the 5080 won't be as big as a 4090 today?

Go bigger, change is not noticeable, but lack of GPU options will be.

Reactions: Talyrius

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I think you expect this :D

C4-SFX Survey - Should I increase the size of the case to fit more RTX 40x0 cards?

Thank you for your help and support!

m4nii

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2022
Go bigger, change is not noticeable, but lack of GPU options will be.
The change is indeed noticable - in TIME ! 3 month delay is much, and just think about what comes next, some other new components/cooling solutions etc. and then the case gets posponed another time? You can never ever fit everything, there'll always be compromises to be made, but i think now (as the case is production ready) it's time to stop making changes and just build the case.

Then, maybe next year, you can bring a V2 that may contain even some more changes, but i think it should just stay as it is now! :)

C4_Or_H2O

Efficiency Noob
Jan 28, 2022
The change is indeed noticable - in TIME ! 3 month delay is much, and just think about what comes next, some other new components/cooling solutions etc. and then the case gets posponed another time? You can never ever fit everything, there'll always be compromises to be made, but i think now (as the case is production ready) it's time to stop making changes and just build the case.

Then, maybe next year, you can bring a V2 that may contain even some more changes, but i think it should just stay as it is now! :)

Also, the higher the volume goes, the less it makes sense to spend a premium on a case like this. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome looking case that I'll get regardless of if it changes or not, but NCASE Evo and A3 are going to start to look more and more appealing the higher the volume goes (especially with these high ITX mobo prices lately) ...

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
Hey Dan, at the risk of this sounding ludicrous.. why not proceed with the current version as is and proceed designing the C4 Max version for release in 2023? Two different sizes similar to what Apple does with the iphone could appease everyone on this thread and help you capture more market share. I’m not sure if that is financially feasible or not..

rileycoyote

Chassis Packer
Feb 1, 2022

yes and how many iterations were made of the a4 once it was accepted

Kingmaker2552

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 2, 2022
The best person with enough foresight for future 50 series cards is Dan. If it's best to increase the size for the future so be it.

Changing the size right now while there's still options for the highest performance aftermarket cards doesn't make much sense to me.

Planning and compromising has always been part of the SFF building ritual. Our community is already niche and adjusting for short sided opinions shouldn't be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I believe that Dan will make the best decision for what he wants his product to be.

Reactions: nathanjaker

Timeless

Caliper Novice
Jul 1, 2021
If not for the delay of 3 months I would agree to enlarge the case to fit the new cards. In the survey there's the asus 4080 tuf 12GB (I think this version doesn't exist, in the asus website there's only a 16gb version) and it appears in both columns new compatible and already compatible, so does the current 13.37 L fit the 4080 TUF 16 GB?

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
@dondan I did think "A3?" when an mATX expansion was suggested to the C4.
The A3 seems to have that one covered nicely.
not wanting to seize the thread here for other stuff, but: anything above 16L for mATX is absolute uninteresting to me. I'm already very satisfied with my Mesh-mATX build (which is gonna be approx 15.5L when I'm finally done) ;)

cu, w0lf.