DAN C4-SFX

aaahaaap

Cable Smoosher
Aug 15, 2017
To be fair it is only 12mm check this value on a ruler it is not that mutch. Also it will make the case look slimer because of the changed width height ratio. :)
Yeah, fair enough, it's also understandable to look at it like this :) But inch by inch (or half inch actually :p) it is getting bigger and bigger.
If there were one dimension where +-12mm increase would make a big difference it would be the width, then a NH-U12A would fit :). That would make it way too big though, plus that brings us back to the ratios you mentioned, they are obviously important as well.
Anyway, just my 2c as a potential customer, it's all your own choice of course, do what you think makes sense :)

Last edited:

dPunisher

Chassis Packer
Aug 20, 2021
www.youtube.com
To be fair it is only 12mm check this value on a ruler it is not that mutch. Also it will make the case look slimer because of the changed width height ratio. :)
Thinking about the matter, IMHO it is worth paying the price of waiting an additional 3 months and the increasing those 12mm to have better current and future compatibility. The case will still be awesome.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Welcome to Mission Creep - Episode VI 🤣
It really is a difficult decision, particularly if you are looking at a 4 year life cycle.
From certain perspectives, the growing GPU power race that's driving the size changes is madness when we are meant to be conserving energy.

Last edited:

math4origami

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 27, 2022
I'm sure you have already considered this, but I want to highlight market segmentation. I think niches are important to find and inhabit. What that means here is, try to be at a good size for your feature set that no other case has. Have the most compatibility per litre. The larger your case, the more competitors you have, and you'll be more directly compared by other factors like price, availability, shipping time, quality, etc. I loved the A4 because it fulfilled its niche well. For my next case, I am looking at 3-slots, air only (so classic layout for CPU cooler), from a reputable manufacturer, and as small as possible. At the moment, C4 looks very attractive, with the added bonus of the innovative upside down orientation. But, the bigger it gets, the more other products I have to start considering.

I do agree that a limited availability of the compatible cards does hurt the usability of the product, but at least they exist. For this generation at least, I think the combination of crypto's newfound unpopularity and the price point of the 4000 series should lead to a better supply situation.

I hope this feedback helps, and I am excited to see what you create.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I made a CAD drawing of the bigger C4-SFX. Now you can see both cases next to each other:

Blubbblah

Cable Smoosher
Feb 18, 2022
I would also prefer the larger version. If the case was delivered to most users as it is now, many users will surely wish for it to be a bit larger. This is my opinion.
I'm currently in the same situation with the Ncase. If it was just a little bigger I could fit an MSI 6800 XT. but it just doesn't fit. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. 🤷‍♂️

Blubbblah

Cable Smoosher
Feb 18, 2022
I would also prefer the larger version. If the case was delivered to most users as it is now, many users will surely wish for it to be a bit larger. This is my opinion.
I'm currently in the same situation with the Ncase. If it was just a little, little bigger I could fit an MSI 6800 XT. but it's not. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Zoduk

bushonpen

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2020
Honestly, I am not in a rush for a new build and will buy this case with or without the 3 month delay, but for me it doesn't matter, because I will unlikely go higher than a 4070 (Currently have rtx 2070 and am fine with it). My only question is: even if the case is made to fit the 4090, will it really matter given the new characteristics of Ryzen CPUs and the insane power draws of the RTX 4090? Do you think it will be able to adequately cool such a combo of 7950x and a 4090? If it is not going to be able to cool these without going full custom water-cooling, then it makes no sense to spend even more time and money on another redesign.

C4_Or_H2O

Efficiency Noob
Jan 28, 2022
@dondan does the case size increase also solve the issue where the bottom cover would have to be removed for the C14s to fit with certain motherboards? (I remember this being a discussion a few pages ago)

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
@dondan does the case size increase also solve the issue where the bottom cover would have to be removed for the C14s to fit with certain motherboards? (I remember this being a discussion a few pages ago)
Doesn't look or sound like it. All the extra space is for greater GPU compatibility. If you look at the renders, the Motherboard IO hasn't moved at all.

Reactions: Talyrius and dondan

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
Dan, I have been vocal for a while on increasing the case size to 4 slot gpus. Not that I want a 450W monster to deal with but you must consider the market share. If you keep it as is you will lose out on a lot of potential customers simply for the sake of design. That’s not good business for you. I think the C4 looks absolutely amazing but the gpu list you provided is fairly limited. As crazy expensive as the gpus are going to be priced even your customers who are okay purchasing a premium case product may have to cut corners and settle for the best priced gpu they can buy, which may not fit in the C4.

proficide

Chassis Packer
Jun 7, 2021
We just want the case, there’s no point in doing this if it can’t properly cool a 4090 + 7950x. If you choose to release this case in the bigger version, there will be benchmarks done. If people see that these temperature benchmarks are not ideal, then they’ll overlook this case either way. Unless there’s a way you increase the overall cooling capability, there is absolutely no point in making us wait 3 more months.

Reactions: C4_Or_H2O

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Take the time to make the case bigger. Every case I’ve purchased has been rendered obsolete by expanding GPU sizes. As a point of reference, a decade ago an EVGA GTX 680 was two slots wide and 10” (250 mm) long. Those days are not coming back. Best to plan for the future.

One person’s humble suggestion: consider going even slightly larger still. Taller proportions do improve the case’s looks, and help it appear visually slimmer/smaller IMO. Knowing that, would expanding the height by 15 or 16 mm help avoid the clips and allow for even longer 3.75-slot cards and even further improve compatibility / future-proof the case?

And remember, this is only the first salvo of 40-series cards. With Ampere, when the Ti-class cards arrived mid-cycle many of the cards grew larger and jumped up a size class, e.g. 3080Tis appeared with coolers and dimensions like a 3090, 3070Tis with dimensions like 3080s, etc.

NB: For your ‘New Compatible’ list it looks like the INNO3D RTX 4090 iChill X3 (3.25Sx336x146) also meets the criteria to fit.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
And now, lets just add the option for an mATX board (the bigger version essentially is already half way there, 244 mm is the regular size for mATX), and then its the ideal case for medium-sizes SFF builds! :)

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: Clarin_D