DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
Simply NO I/O, best looks, best space efficiency, best cable Routing (No usb cable, No issues) whilst very little loss in usability.

You have good USB Hubs or just get behind your pc.

Many SFF Builds near 10L have No Front/Side/top I/O.

Would make things easier, especially for @dondan

Tazul97

Case Bender
Mar 5, 2019
Can we get a clarification/update on the current compatibility measurements?

At first Im super excited for this case but then i was disappointed to read that the case ”only supports GPUs up to 295mm”

Since i wanted to use a ASUS STRIX card (298mm, 2.5-3 slots), i thought i’d have to settle for another case, and i think other users might have thought the same thing and moved on.

But later in the thread if im not mistaken i read that it can take GPUs up to 303mm, which means that it actually does fit after all.

Also i’d love to see 2.75- or even 3-slot support on the sandwich layout since Graphics Cards seem to be getting bigger and bigger as time goes on, i think it’d appeal to a wider audience and increase its relevance longevity in the market as well.

But what do i know, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

ToutNoir

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2018
might be enough for you, I am already running out of SSD storage having 1.75Tb of it.

At the moment I have 1To in my main computer and a server for storage - I'm really happy with this configuration. I don't think SFF are made for storage.
But it's my point of view.

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Sep 13, 2016
Its harder to find itx mothrboards without m.2 ssd support these days, so with only one 2.5 drive support you can still utilize 2 disk drives.

Tephnos

Average Stuffer
Jul 5, 2017
some of yall need to remember that @dondan himself is the person that is designing the case and while he gladly accepts your constructive criticism as we have seen so far, the ultimate decision remains with him. be respectful

You need to stop getting your pants all twisted because people have differing opinions. I am seeing nothing that is directly insulting or disrespectful. Disagreeing with Dan on some of his decisions is not disrespectful, even if you think it so. Dan is just one man, and he's not always right. If anything, the only outright time I saw insulting commentary tbh was when Dan himself insinuated that people who didn't like his new idea were blind because they 'could not see' the benefits of it. Felt pretty underhanded (because he was directly undermining the opinions of those who knew the benefits but didn't like the new design direction), even if I myself am pretty direct about how I feel with some of the decisions he takes.

We (the users) rightfully do not concern ourselves about the business aspect of the case, because it doesn't affect us in the slightest. We're just users of a case. That's not our job, it's Dan's. He can either listen to us or ignore us.

Last edited:

keshon

Cable Smoosher
Feb 1, 2019
Speaking about duck-taping 2.5 ssds. Recently I've found this side plates on TaoBao. Look how compact and elegant the solution is.
The volume of 2 or 3 stacked ssds doesn't look that big of a problem In my opinion.

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
I really do wonder how some people here buy 3 slot cards, 3.5" drives, multiple 2.5 SSD's, and come to a SFF forum to the one thread where the creator wants to make it as small and cool looking as possible and start to request space for their hardware...

At this point, it's best to just say nothing and wait for whatever dan decides before investing yourself more into the project.

prefinem

Trash Compacter
Apr 12, 2018
I really do wonder how some people here buy 3 slot cards, 3.5" drives, multiple 2.5 SSD's, and come to a SFF forum to the one thread where the creator wants to make it as small and cool looking as possible and start to request space for their hardware...

At this point, it's best to just say nothing and wait for whatever dan decides before investing yourself more into the project.

Exactly my thoughts

Reactions: Woxys and schn1tt3r

keshon

Cable Smoosher
Feb 1, 2019
I really do wonder how some people here buy 3 slot cards, 3.5" drives, multiple 2.5 SSD's, and come to a SFF forum
About multiple SSDs - do I need to remind you the existence of A4-SFX that holds 3 x 2.5 with a volume about 7.5 liters? Is that OK to come to a SFF forum now? Is it? Oh bunch of thanks man!

SFF is not set of rules engraved in stone. It's an idea we all dance around.

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
About multiple SSDs - do I need to remind you the existence of A4-SFX that holds 3 x 2.5 with a volume about 7.5 liters? Is that OK to come to a SFF forum now? Is it? Oh bunch of thanks man!

M.2 is the future. Whether you like it or not, 2.5 will become as irrelevant as 3.5". I can't wait for the day when I have no SATA cables to route inside a clean SFF case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killinger

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017

I mean, yes, you are correct, individual case makers decide what is important to them.

However, as a counterpoint, the 2.5" standard, much like Optical drives to digital media, is being phased out to NGFF (commonly M.2), with many (even ITX) motherboards having two or more M.2 slots. Should you run out of space, an M.2 (SATA) to SATA adapter is less than half the footprint of a 2.5" drive for often only a 10% or less premium.

Reactions: schn1tt3r

keshon

Cable Smoosher
Feb 1, 2019
M.2 is the future. Weather you like it or not, 2.5 will become as irrelevant as 3.5"
However, as a counterpoint, the 2.5" standard, much like Optical drives to digital media, is being phased out to NGFF (commonly M.2)
Please land from skies to the ground. Vanish of 2.5 storage media won't happen anytime soon at least not in a time-frame of Dan's project development and lifetime cycles.
Besides ITX motherboards offer support only for 2 slots of m2. Let me repeat myself: two slots at best if a motherboard supports the second slot. Is it a flexible solution in terms of expandability and cost? Just let's be honest here - it's not.

Should you run out of space, an M.2 (SATA) to SATA adapter is less than half the footprint of a 2.5" drive for often only a 10% or less premium.
Oh this is my favorite. I have such m2 to SATA adapter and I've seen a lot of them on Ali. It's roughly 30% smaller than a standard 2.5 form factor. It's not half sized at all. But how on earth would I mount it in a case if different adapters has different sizes and the case would not support all this randomly sized mess? Unless I put this adapter with m2 stick on it to a standardized enclosure of ..wait a 2.5 drive size?
The irony.

Reactions: ThePrimble

Tephnos

Average Stuffer
Jul 5, 2017
This is a pointless discussion because you can just stack the drives with tape and solve literally all the problems. The point of what I said was that you can stack the drives, thereby only needing a single 2.5" slot - allowing for the side I/O that most people seem to prefer. Everyone wins.

The only valid point I saw was 'review sites would mark it down for only one 2.5" slot' which is also invalidated if you make it very clear that the case 'supports' stacking the drives with tape.

Also shows a bit too much thought given towards what reviewers think of stuff and they'll always find something to criticize.

Reactions: papsicleboy

prefinem

Trash Compacter
Apr 12, 2018

And how old is that case design? Technology evolves. If you could remove those in favor of M.2 and get it down to 7 L, that would be a benefit for me, and many others.

Please land from skies to the ground. Vanish of 2.5 storage media won't happen anytime soon at least not in a time-frame of Dan's project development and lifetime cycles.

None of my multiple computers have 2.5" drives. I have a 6 year old server that does though. There is no reason, as of today, to purchase 2.5" SSD's unless you want a ton of storage expandability over time (in which case, SFF isn't for you)

Besides ITX motherboards offer support only for 2 slots of m2. Let me repeat myself: two slots at best if a motherboard supports the second slot. Is it a flexible solution in terms of expandability and cost? Just let's be honest here - it's not.

Are SFF cases meant to flexible in terms of expandability and cost? Not even close.

Unfortunately, it seems like there are two camps of people in this thread.

Camp A: Wants an extremely small AIO gaming case. They will purchase different / new hardware to make it happen.

Camp B: Wants a smallish AIO gaming case, but they don't want to purchase new hardware to make it happen.

In all honesty, I think this is the poll that should be created by @dondan to see how large his markets are going to be and which group he wants build his case for.

Reactions: papsicleboy

prefinem

Trash Compacter
Apr 12, 2018
I disagree. I'd prefer @dondan do whatever he wants and let the market decide when the chassis is available.

That is definitely an option, but he has asked people what they prefer in the past, so I would assume he wants to build something people will purchase. That is how you make a business decisions usually. Especially if you are catering to a niche market.

keshon

Cable Smoosher
Feb 1, 2019
And how old is that case design? Technology evolves.
Oh right I forgot how far we jumped in 'the future' since A4-SFX was released. How long was it a couple years ago? I feel old myself now.

If you could remove those in favor of M.2 and get it down to 7 L, that would be a benefit for me, and many others.
Am I get you right that having a benefit of saving 250 ml of volume would make you happy (and many others)? If so - Im not from those 'others' because of common sense.

None of my multiple computers have 2.5" drives.
It's solely your decision to have it like that. I don't have a server in my apartment so my PC requires to have some storage beyond common 512 GBs. That just proves nothing tbh.

There is no reason, as of today, to purchase 2.5" SSD's unless you want a ton of storage expandability over time (in which case, SFF isn't for you)
"SFF is not for you" - oh really? For you then?
And frankly speaking 2-3 x 2.5 drives and 'ton of storage' is not actually gets along very well so it's still a (moderate) sacrifice. By having only couples of m2 is a radical one.

Are SFF cases meant to flexible in terms of expandability and cost? Not even close.
Umm OK, enlight me then what are SFF are meant for? I'm asking because I've seen a lot of SFF cases that are actually 'close' to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.