DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
This case just seems to get bigger and bigger, to fit more and thicker radiators. I may just go with the Loque Ghost if this is where this project is headed. I'd prefer this layout with both GPU/CPU on the same side visually, but i'm not willing to trade a huge volume and footprint increase for the asthetics. I just wanted a slim 240rad with 25mm thick fans on it, and i liked the option of flipping the case.

Honestly, i think everyone wanting to cram really thick dual 240 rads should probably just go get a NZXT H200 instead.

prefinem

Trash Compacter
Apr 12, 2018
I have the NZXT H200 and was looking forward to this case mostly because the AIO cpu water cooler on such a smaller footprint. The Loque Ghost looks good, just not nearly as good as the first designs for this case which is why I have held off on buying anything else.

At this point, I would like to see some decision made by Dan on which way he wants to go with the case so I can either wait for it, or build my own.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here is a preview on how the the case can look like with the indirect cooling layout. It is a early version because I need a feeling on how the dimension and proportion will look like:

Last edited:

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
IMHO, there is no point in having resemblance with the previous design... Since there are only two fans who are entitled to the job, how about a simple mesh at the front (like Fractal Design Arc/Meshify for example)?

It would be less resctrictive, allowing better airflow and being at the same time smaller than this design! Proportions may be better too...

RockZors

Trash Compacter
Aug 21, 2018
I am not a fan of this new approach either. The aesthetic does not appeal to me.

I like the top down airflow approach with a 240rad on top, and the possibility of a 120mm rad for the GPU or for fans in the bottom.

RaDus

Chassis Packer
Jul 15, 2018
Opinion time! I'm gonna be honest here and say I would probably buy whichever contraption comes out of this thread, because the suggestions I've seen so far cover more of my needs than any other case currently on the market (not 100% but damn close). All >> I << really want is a slightly larger A4 case with the ability to stuff in at least a 240mm radiator. The Louqe Ghost is currently my best real option, but I just hate how the modularity screws up the aesthetics - and those round corners take me back to the days of the Windows XP teletubbies theme *shrugs*

omod

Cable Smoosher
Oct 24, 2018
Here is a preview on how the the case can look like with the indirect cooling layout. It is a early version because I need a feeling on how the dimension and proportion will look like:

Is this case designed to hold 1 or 2 radiators?

omod

Cable Smoosher
Oct 24, 2018
Up to two but it will also work with one.

So if I understand correctly, We can swap one of the radiators for a set of 120mm fans? If so, I would be very happy with the case, IF there was an optional (and i'm fine paying extra for it) front panel that replaced the fans with a usb and usb-c front io.

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
I finally assembled my A4 with a 9900k, a 92mm aio, and a 2080ti. After doing a bunch of testing, I definitely agree with a lot of what @dondan has to say about the design limitations and GPU options for the C4. The 9900k is extremely hot and almost insists that you use watercooling to simply run it at stock clocks, and even with a undervolt, my current 92mm aio isnt up to the task. My highly overclocked 2 slot EVGA 2080 ti XC on the other hand is staying at a constant 75C while any cpu bench causes to have my cpu throttle within 2 minutes after the thermal mass from my case stops dissipating heat. I think a single 240 aio with fans going a single direction would keep the cpu cool enough, and I dont really see the need for dual 240 or another set of fans unless you wanted to use one of the rads for the GPU, which I still believe to be overkill and unnecessary.

Reactions: Metroversal

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
I think 2x 240mm radiators is definitely overkill for most SFF builds. I mean, GPU water cooling isn't even that much popular.
To me the old design is almost perfect, it's a balanced case that supports a reasonable amount of components.
Mind you, I'm not against the size increase, I just feel like we are going to the wrong path (imho).

I get the point of making something different, but at the same time I think most of the potential buyers should be able to take full advantage of the available space. I thought the initial idea was to make a SFF case for the masses, hence the lower price compared to the A4-SFX.

@dondan Poll time?

RaDus

Chassis Packer
Jul 15, 2018
Mind you, I'm not against the size increase, I just feel like we are going to the wrong path (imho).

Yeah, it seems like a CPU and GPU watercooled setup is another project in itself and the C4 sounds more like an expansion upon the philosophy of the A4 with a revised aesthetic design. Would make sense in my book.

Maybe a case specifically designed for watercooling only could be the next project - A3 anyone?

sfxbajan

Average Stuffer
Dec 4, 2017
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but allow for a single slot gpu to mounted in the pcie slot closer to the glass, this way if using a watercooling cpu block there will hopefully be room for 90 degree fittings. If discussed I will delete.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
This case keeps getting bigger and bigger, what are the functional benefits in performance to size ratio for this new design over an ncase m1 (besides aesthetics of course)?

11,4L vs. 12.5L
Both can take up to 480mm radiator surface
C4 has the sandwich layout with a better view on components through a window kit.

I think 2x 240mm radiators is definitely overkill for most SFF builds. I mean, GPU water cooling isn't even that much popular. Poll time?

Yes maybe you are right I will do the poll in the next days.

Maybe a case specifically designed for watercooling only could be the next project - A3 anyone?

Yes maybe you are right, let us find out through my next poll.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but allow for a single slot gpu to mounted in the pcie slot closer to the glass, this way if using a watercooling cpu block there will hopefully be room for 90 degree fittings. If discussed I will delete.

90 degree fittings are ~30mm in height. A normal block is 22-25mm in height so yes it will fit also with the current design.

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
I got a question, so with this passive cooling, the idea is having both sides sealed right? (so as to force the air through the radiator) So, there won't be an option for side panel with perforation for non water cooled GPU to breathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.