DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I currently (having read through several pages after a few months) get the impression that you're stuck in development hell.

But what do you want to do, Dan? I feel like you could make just another case, or make something quite special; maybe that's just me, though. The A4 was a great case, but the CPU cooling limitations made things difficult. You've solved this with the original design of the C4.

I like to be sure to go with the correct hardware layout and outer design. I am not a big company that is able to develop and sell different product in the same product class. So if I made a decision for an layout and design I will stay with it for years.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
As a dedicated air cooling user, (I don't trust WC rigs for regular transport), I do feel that this is moving away from my particular needs.

Then I think also the old design is far away from you needs. The original name of the C4-SFX was C4-H2O. So this case is design around using a 240mm AIO. The most powerful air cooled heatsinks that you can install is a AXP-100 or BigShuriken these cooling solutions has no chance against an 240mm AIO.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Then I think also the old design is far away from you needs. The original name of the C4-SFX was C4-H2O. So this case is design around using a 240mm AIO. The most powerful air cooled heatsinks that you can install is a AXP-100 or BigShuriken these cooling solutions has no chance against an 240mm AIO.

Dan, thanks for your personal reply; very nice to hear from you.
I have been advised (maybe incorrectly), that AIO coolers are not ideal long term for rigs that are regularly moved and transported.
Possibly someone can refute that and add their experience. I can see the benefit of a 240 AIO taming a hot running higher TDP CPU in a small case, so am not against it generally.

Nevertheless, I will still watch the C4 development process with interest, as I have been with it for over a year already.
I'm pleased that you have got your 2nd product, the CPU cooler off the ground; having a second case in the product line would really strengthen your position in the high quality SFF market.

In the meantime, I will work on my NCase M1 build and see how it works out for my needs.
Best wishes to you and your family

Rankless

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2018
I have been advised (maybe incorrectly), that AIO coolers are not ideal long term for rigs that are regularly moved and transported.
Possibly someone can refute that and add their experience.

My two cents.

In the case of low profile air coolers as found in most SFF computers, they are likely the safest to transport. Large air coolers, however, place all of their weight on the motherboard, which when being jostled can cause damage. An AIO has most of its weight screwed into the case frame, and very little resting on the motherboard. Second, I don't necessarily know the most common failure points in an AIO, but its probably where the tubing meets the block or radiator. What in transit is going to stress those points?

Reactions: Arboreal and Nanook

Tephnos

Average Stuffer
Jul 5, 2017
Dan, thanks for your personal reply; very nice to hear from you.
Possibly someone can refute that and add their experience. I can see the benefit of a 240 AIO taming a hot running higher TDP CPU in a small case, so am not against it generally.

Nevertheless, I will still watch the C4 development process with interest, as I have been with it for over a year already.
I'm pleased that you have got your 2nd product, the CPU cooler off the ground; having a second case in the product line would really strengthen your position in the high quality SFF market.

In the meantime, I will work on my NCase M1 build and see how it works out for my needs.
Best wishes to you and your family

You'll be fine with an AIO. Most of them are warrantied for many years, and you'll likely be replacing it long before then with newer models anyway. They're completely sealed, and stress points in transportation are limited. The only issue I could see is one TSA agent deciding you can't fly with it but then again there are plenty of people who have gotten through security just fine and have taken it on planes with them.

That's why I liked the original C4 - you could slap in a 240mm CPU cooler and still have decent cooling for GPUs through the side intake if you didn't go for a windowed option (if you did, dual 120mm also works. Compromises and all - same with the windowed NCASE). I feel there's pretty much zero point to adding two 240mm rads, because GPUs just don't need this kind of cooling. It blows up the size of the case for very limited benefit for most users.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
My two cents.

In the case of low profile air coolers as found in most SFF computers, they are likely the safest to transport. Large air coolers, however, place all of their weight on the motherboard, which when being jostled can cause damage. An AIO has most of its weight screwed into the case frame, and very little resting on the motherboard. Second, I don't necessarily know the most common failure points in an AIO, but its probably where the tubing meets the block or radiator. What in transit is going to stress those points?
Agreed on large heatsink being stressful on motherboard. However the NH-L9i/a is very light, and if you’re traveling a lot, and can get away with using that tiny heatsink, that’s what I’d recommend to use.

Reactions: Arboreal

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
I feel many here have kept up with this thread because of the original idea. That being an AIO cooler for the CPU and an amazing looking compact case. Now, trying to fit two radiators and making space for 2.75 slot cards, that is a case for another group of people. I feel people wanting to fit two radiators should look for another case instead of you trying to make a case built for everyone.

I don't think you should deviate from the original idea this much, as that would be a case for a different audience, not those who fell in love with the original idea. Personally, I am interested in this case for the original idea, but would have to look elsewhere if this case becomes the two radiators case from a few pages back.

Last edited:

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
I think many here have kept up with this thread because of the original idea. That being an AIO cooler for the CPU and an amazing looking compact case. Now, trying to fit two radiators and making space for 2.75 slot cards, that is a case for another group of people. I feel people wanting to fit two radiators should look for another case. I don't think you should deviate from the original idea this much, as that would be a case for a different audience, not those who fell in love with the original idea of this case. Personally, I am interested in this case for the original idea, but would have to look elsewhere if this case becomes the two radiators case from a few pages back.
If we were to remove 2.5 slots (as originally planned) to 2 in favor of 2x240mm rads I think we would have a very similar, if not actually smaller volume with a better cooling capability. I don't think there was actually support for 2.7 slot.

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
If we were to remove 2.5 slots (as originally planned) to 2 in favor of 2x240mm rads I think we would have a very similar, if not actually smaller volume with a better cooling capability. I don't think there was actually support for 2.7 slot.

There was no support for 2.7, I am claiming modifying the original idea to now support two radiators and trying to support 2.7 is deviating too far from the reason most of us fell in love with this case. Sure 2x240 could have similar volume and better cooling, but that is if you assume everyone wants to water cool their GPU. I wanted this case because 1 AIO for CPU and enough space and ventilation for my 1080 Ti Strix. I don't want to water cool my GPU as it does great on air if the case allows it. I have no interest in dual radiators to be honest.

Etz

Chassis Packer
May 7, 2018
I must admit, that I tend to agree with most of the posters.
2x240 would be overkill and original concept with 1x240 felt much more universal.

BioClue

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2018
Two radiators are for those who are look to overclock and push their PC's to the max potential. The problem is that all iTX motherboards and power supplies in the market have limited potential. Only those who want a radiator for both the CPU & GPU can benefit from two radiators.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Don't forgett that you can use unused radiator space for more case fans or more ssd drives.
But i am on your side that it is maybe overkill and only a few customers will take advantage from it.

Now, trying to fit two radiators and making space for 2.75 slot cards, that is a case for another group of people.

I never said a single word about 2.75 slot. This case will come with 2.5 slot support.

Last edited:

Rankless

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2018
Pardon my confusion, but what is a 2.5 slot width card? A card which takes two PCI case mounting points, but takes up half of another slots worth of room internally? Where is the distinction drawn with 2.75? Is this all estimation and forum parlance or do manufacturers actually use this terminology?

Whats an example of a 2.5 slot card vs. a 2.75 slot card? Are there any 2.5 slot 2000 series nvidia cards?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Pardon my confusion, but what is a 2.5 slot width card? A card which takes two PCI case mounting points, but takes up half of another slots worth of room internally? Where is the distinction drawn with 2.75? Is this all estimation and forum parlance or do manufacturers actually use this terminology?

Whats an example of a 2.5 slot card vs. a 2.75 slot card? Are there any 2.5 slot 2000 series nvidia cards?

This is an EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3, listed on their site as 2.75 slots.

If you look at some of the GTX 1080 Ti, like the Asus Strix and Gigabyte Aorus, they only have 2 actual PCI slots but the heatsink/fan/shroud take up an additional 1/2 slot.

Last edited:

RaDus

Chassis Packer
Jul 15, 2018
Two radiators are for those who are look to overclock and push their PC's to the max potential.

Not true. I use AIOs to keep noise down and as a hardware thermal hysteresis, not for overclocking. I'm personally in the market for a 2x240mm SFF case (two 120mm would probably do, but my hardware selection will be limited), since that allows me to get a watercooled dedicated graphics card while still keeping noise down.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Even after seeing other directions this case may take, I'm still in the market for the original concept.

CPU cooled by a 240mm AiO, and an air-cooled GPU. I would prefer a design that allows the fans to be mounted directly to the radiator.

Of all the variations that have been discussed, it seems to me that the majority of people are still most interested in the original design with front USB C, and probably the option of mounting twin 120mm AiOs instead of a single 240mm.

I can certainly see that there's some interest in a twin 240mm AiO or custom loop SFF case. I just feel like it's best left for a future project, and not the C4.

BioClue

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2018
Not true. I use AIOs to keep noise down and as a hardware thermal hysteresis, not for overclocking. I'm personally in the market for a 2x240mm SFF case (two 120mm would probably do, but my hardware selection will be limited), since that allows me to get a watercooled dedicated graphics card while still keeping noise down.

Should've quoted my whole post...

Only those who want a radiator for both the CPU & GPU can benefit from two radiators.

Status
Not open for further replies.