DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankless

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2018
As far as screws go would it be too much effort to give side by side renders? Looking at the renders on the first page, it's hard to tell if the C4 benefits from their removal. I like the A4's minimalism and might be interesting to have a more visually simple C4. That being said, perhaps some of the current charm comes from its boxier more industrial appearance.

Ultimately, it matters very little to me, and its hard to tell without seeing the case without them.

Vis-à-vis ports, has it been explicitly said why its an either or and not both? If you got rid of the front 2.5" drive would it be possible to have a set of ports more like what was planned earlier in the project? I assume this has to do with the large space needed for the USB C port?

Also any news on the feet? ;)

omega24

Caliper Novice
Dec 11, 2017
Vis-à-vis ports, has it been explicitly said why its an either or and not both? If you got rid of the front 2.5" drive would it be possible to have a set of ports more like what was planned earlier in the project? I assume this has to do with the large space needed for the USB C port?
As it is, this case is already pretty limited in hard drive capacity, removing the front 2.5" slot would be a horrible decision

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Personally I would rather have a way to wedge a 3.5" drive into the case than worry about multiple 2.5" slots. Most ITX boards have at least one M.2 slot, and it's not hard to find one that has more if you need it for SSDs, but having the ability to drop in up to 14TB of cheap(ish) mass storage over another SATA SSD or at most, a super slow 2TB HDD, would seem to make more sense to me.

omega24

Caliper Novice
Dec 11, 2017
Personally I would rather have a way to wedge a 3.5" drive into the case than worry about multiple 2.5" slots. Most ITX boards have at least one M.2 slot, and it's not hard to find one that has more if you need it for SSDs, but having the ability to drop in up to 14TB of cheap(ish) mass storage over another SATA SSD or at most, a super slow 2TB HDD, would seem to make more sense to me.
Yeah I've been asking for this for a while, but if I recall correctly Dan has stated he doesn't believe 3.5" drives match the concept of a SFF case and he doesn't seem to respond to requests for it. Oh well

Reactions: wykydtronik

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
Yeah I've been asking for this for a while, but if I recall correctly Dan has stated he doesn't believe 3.5" drives match the concept of a SFF case and he doesn't seem to respond to requests for it. Oh well
And I do perfectly understand why. There are 2.5 inch hdds and for even more storage for any productivity work that you do it might be even more beneficial to be on a NAS or an external drive.

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
I get your concern about being future proof, but personally, I don't need a port that might be usable in the upcoming years.
It's less about being future proof than being a pioneer. I would gladly accept a board that only has USB type c ports instead of all the USB A ports...

Reactions: Metroversal

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Well, I don't want to wait for the industry to catch up and rebuy all my peripherals. :p

ScarletStar

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2018
Well, I don't want to wait for the industry to catch up and rebuy all my peripherals. :p

Why not? Being a PC enthusiast is all about rebuying stuff you don't really need to cause the old stuff is technically still working well enough.
The very essence of high performance PCs (and especially SFF ones) is to overpay for stuff that's gonna be ubiquitous and half the price a year later. It's not about practicality or bang for the buck or even space saving. It's about having shiny new toys, a technical challenge and owning something special that not everyone else has.

You're not here to save a buck. You're not here cause you desperately need a new PC, yours is either working fine or you'd be looking elsewhere cause this case doesn't even have an estimated release date yet. :p

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Why not? Because recently bought peripherals a) work fine b) are the current technology c) lack alternatives.
Why on earth should I rebuy my mouse, keyboard, printer etc?
There is a difference in wanting the latest most powerful video card or cpu and rebuying peripherals for the sake of buying new stuff imo.

Being interested in new hardware also doesn't mean you have unlimited funds or cannot be efficient.

Anyway, at this point we are heavily into offtopic and I think I am getting trolled anyway.

RaDus

Chassis Packer
Jul 15, 2018
I believe this is only partially true. The heat transport away from the chip is a LOT better! Also the radiator surface of 120mm AIOs is higher than one of a 120mm sized block of finstacks! At this point I believe only thorough A-B testing will solve the discussion!

I currently have a 120mm AIO on my aging i7 920 (+130W TDP) and it's handling it like a champ. One of my friends has a (third party) 120mm AIO on his Vega 54 and temps are are around 60°C +/-5°C when gaming (depending on the room temperature and seasons), which I would personally place well within acceptable limits.

newtothegame

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2018
I'm a complete ignorant on the subject so please correct me if I'm mistaken: The sole purpose of having 2 x 120mm AIO support would be watercooling both CPU and GPU?
That's something I haven't seen around much. In any case, if GPU watercooling is the only reason for the secondary AIO, I wouldn't trade it for a screwless panel. Mainly because I wouldn't be profiting from it, simplicity would be a major factor as well, but also for the reasons Dan has stated about the complications of GPU AIO cooling and the fact that he likes it better without screws (and in my experience, always trust the taste of experienced and great designers, they usually know better).

Last edited:

Hudbox

Cable Smoosher
Oct 3, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have two questions for you:

1) Is it worth dropping 2x 120mm AIO support for not seeing screws on the side panel?
2) What do you prefer USB Typ-C or Audio+Microphone?

1. Yes. I've never been a fan of TG being kept in place by screws and don't plan to use 2x AIO. So if no other solution is available I'd prefer the glass be retained by other means.

2. Really difficult to answer as both are valid to me, but if I had to chose USB Type-C.

sverebom

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 28, 2018
Why not? Because recently bought peripherals a) work fine b) are the current technology c) lack alternatives.
Type-C adapaters cost around five bucks. It's too early to completely switch mainboards to Type-C, but for the front I/O you could just use a micro-B to Type-C cable instead of the usual micro-B to Type-A cable. Especially small and stylisch cases like these "craft SFF cases" should switch to the Type-C at this point because the Type-C ports save space and look nicer than the bulky Type-A ports.

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Type-C adapaters cost around five bucks. It's too early to completely switch mainboards to Type-C, but for the front I/O you could just use a micro-B to Type-C cable instead of the usual micro-B to Type-A cable. Especially small and stylisch cases like these "craft SFF cases" should switch to the Type-C at this point because the Type-C ports save space and look nicer than the bulky Type-A ports.
So back to the dongle argument? :D

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
So back to the dongle argument? :D

What's the matter? Don't like the angle of the dongle? :p
Although no one likes dongles, I don't think most of the usual Apple based arguments really apply in this instance.
USB-C would only add capabilities you otherwise wouldn't get from a 3.5mm jack, USB-A, mini-DP, etc. Most of the devices you would be plugging in come with easily swappable cables anyway (USB-A - A, USB-A - B, micro USB - USB-A, mini-USB - USB-A, etc.) or at most would only need a simple, cheap USB-A to C passive adapter that you could easily just leave attached or leave it sitting on top of the case, tucked in a bag, etc.. It's not like it would be realistically taking anything away from the functionality of the PC. You could still power it, you could still plug in your headphones (in the back or a simple $5 adapter). While the potential functionality you gain is tremendous.
You could route your VR headset connection to the front over USB-C, you could easily plug in a USB-C portable monitor for work on the go, you could plug in a USB-C or TB3 HUB for a plug-and-go home/office workspace setup. You could potentially support USB-PD, or Quick Charge, whatever. USB-C, for all of it's MANY inconsistency problems, when implemented correctly, is an amazing connection that should see as much pushed adoption as possible.

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have two questions for you:

1) Is it worth dropping 2x 120mm AIO support for not seeing screws on the side panel?
2) What do you prefer USB Typ-C or Audio+Microphone?

What's the matter? Don't like the angle of the dongle? :p
Although no one likes dongles, I don't think most of the usual Apple based arguments really apply in this instance.
USB-C would only add capabilities you otherwise wouldn't get from a 3.5mm jack, USB-A, mini-DP, etc. Most of the devices you would be plugging in come with easily swappable cables anyway (USB-A - A, USB-A - B, micro USB - USB-A, mini-USB - USB-A, etc.) or at most would only need a simple, cheap USB-A to C passive adapter that you could easily just leave attached or leave it sitting on top of the case, tucked in a bag, etc.. It's not like it would be realistically taking anything away from the functionality of the PC. You could still power it, you could still plug in your headphones (in the back or a simple $5 adapter). While the potential functionality you gain is tremendous.
You could route your VR headset connection to the front over USB-C, you could easily plug in a USB-C portable monitor for work on the go, you could plug in a USB-C or TB3 HUB for a plug-and-go home/office workspace setup. You could potentially support USB-PD, or Quick Charge, whatever. USB-C, for all of it's MANY inconsistency problems, when implemented correctly, is an amazing connection that should see as much pushed adoption as possible.

Extremely long post below:

Nitpicky, but unless you're pronouncing angle ahn-gull, it's not quite skookum,(assuming you're quoting AVE) and definitely awkward to say out loud.

Also, unless routed from the VRPort from the back of the GPU, the type C port will only act as what the motherboard/pcie card port it is connected to, hence no VRPort/Displayport/etc. for the foreseeable future. Type C is just the connector, not the standard. Also, most of the other benefits you cited are best done by connecting through the motherboard IO/GPU.

That's not to sat that I'm against USB-C as the front panel connector of choice. Actually I'm quite in favor of it aesthetically, which is my main concern for pretty much anything on the front IO, as with a case this small, pretty much everything looks goofy plugged into it, not to mention messy.

So, @dondan I've been thinking ever since you first brought it up all the reasons why the front panel IO would have what it has, using this photo as the base. (I also forget if we had to drop support for one of the ports or not, so I'm going to just stick with 2-3 for right now.

If we were to drop support for 3.5 mm jacks:
Option 1: C A A

Option 2: C C A

Option 3: C C

Option 4: C A gives:

Port Trade Study:

• 3.5mm
    • Pros
      • Easily Accessible Audio
      • Silver ports can look nice if done properly
        • Based on renders, it may be a little too shiny against black cases and stand out too much, though renders != real life, and you also didn't have a black painted side IO case
    • Cons
      • Poorest Audio Quality Option (on-board Audio + Extension Cable)
      • Can only be used for Audio (single use case)
      • Better options -=- Most decent quality Amp DACs provide far better audio quality and clarity, esp. for high impedance headphones (100 Ohm+)

• USB Type A
    • Pros
      • Ubiquitous
      • Very Multipurpose
      • large selection of items to directly interface with
    • Cons
      • Black port can look ok
      • Being phased out

• USB Type C
    • Pros
      • The most multipurpose
      • Pretty much the cleanest and most minimalist port
      • Can directly replace 3.5mm audio thanks to Apple (Still not a huge fan of type c audio though, so I'll keep my external DAC Amp plugged in through the motherboard IO)
      • Type C external SSDs are becoming far more common
      • The port of the future, and already seeing it take over Type A for number of things being designed for it in 2018 to the foreseeable future
    • Cons
      • Most flash drives are Type A, which is really the only thing that I would plug into front IO due to convenience. Anything even semi-permanent should be plugged in through the back.
      • Currently requires the most usage of dongles to interface with different components

As for the three options, my preference is C A A or C C for aesthetics.
As for if you were to actually use them, for now C A A gives the best options in 2018 for use cases, but I think by 2020 C C or C C A would better functionality with the hardware coming out, unless you're a student, where you'll probably need a Type A port to easily interface, leaving for me C A A, C A, or C C A to be the best option.

But again, actual renders would be really nice to make a final decision here rather than ****ty paint net edits based on iffy at best assumptions and memory.

---------------------------------------------Radiator Support------------------------------------------

As for 1x240mm support vs both 1x240mm and 2x120mm AIOs, I've been back and forth. I really don't hate the screws, and I actually like the way screws look if done well, however, I definitely understand your concern.
As for if it's worth keeping support, I'm always open to having more options, but 2x120mm AIOs are definitely not the norm.

So the cooling options I see are as follows:
  • CPU WC AIO, GPU Air
  • CPU + GPU WC Custom
  • CPU WC AIO, GPU WC AIO/hybrid
  • CPU + GPU WC, Modular AIO
Which brings us full circle to the question of who this case is for. Is this for the advanced user or the hardcore enthusiast? In general, the audience here is hardcore enthusiast, so do we want to keep this open for less experienced builders where a 120mm CPU AIO and a Hybrid GPU would be the most comfortable setup for a completely watercooled system in this case without any tinkering or voiding warranties?

Modular AIOs are extremely rare, often prohibitively expensive, and extremely bulky without custom mods for this case, so I'm going to leave that out until someone shows otherwise as soft tubing custom is pretty much a better option all around.

I think this question needs to be answered with real-life thermal comparisons. We know that 120mm AIOs can handle a helluva lot of heat (see r9 295x2), so seeing numbers will help people make decisions.

That comparison is made even more difficult when taking into account the fact that this generation is the generation of 2.7-3 slot High-end GPUs, where most 2-slot cards are the company's cheaper quality ones.

So that would pretty much just leave CPU AIO and full-custom loops. I do think EVGA is still producing a vapor-chamber blower , which may be one of the remaining options for this case for an air-cooled GPU, unless thermals on open-air coolers are good (Which I'm guessing is going to be the case, but I'm a data guy. I like numbers).

As for myself, I am most likely going full-custom, and going to try my darnedest for rigid tubing, though I need one in my hands to make that call for sure.

Last edited:

ScarletStar

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2018
@dondan What about combo audio jack? Like on phones? Most headsets these days directly use both in and output on a single connector and/or have an adapter. So I think just going with the 3.5mm combo jack is good enough for flexibility.
The Type A port has to stay. It's just still way too common to drop.
Will dropping one 3.5 mic port clear up enough space to add the Type C port?

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
@dondan What about combo audio jack? Like on phones? Most headsets these days directly use both in and output on a single connector and/or have an adapter. So I think just going with the 3.5mm combo jack is good enough for flexibility.
The Type A port has to stay. It's just still way too common to drop.
Will dropping one 3.5 mic port clear up enough space to add the Type C port?
^This

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
I use USB-C ports every day, and I don't live in the future!
So do I with my Galaxy S9 and Galaxy Tab S3. But you know what? They come with a USB-A to USB-C cable, because you can find a USB-A port/charger anywhere.

You won't convince me of the USB-C port as a trade-off for front audio in this case. Will I buy the case with either solution? Possibly, but I don't necessarily think it (the question between USB-C and audio) is the right choice (for me).

Reactions: Saturnian
Status
Not open for further replies.