DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
1. Since there are little to none options for my Zotac 1070 Ti Mini in terms of AiO water cooling, I am fine with 1x120/240mm radiator for the CPU.

2. I am one of the few, who prefers front audio, I guess. I don't see the point in USB-C, as every USB-C device still uses and comes with a USB-A to USB-C cable.

Reactions: chyll2

ReturnedSword

Cable Smoosher
Sep 28, 2018
I find the 120mm x 2 / 240mm AIO support to be useful to cool 95W+ CPUs.

Would adding the ability to use either a radiator sandwich configuration with 25mm fans increase the dimensions by an unacceptable amount? Or the ability to use 15mm/25mm fans as an top exhaust, while keeping the bottom 240mm AIO capability. IMHO I'd be fine with both since although the overall volume is slightly larger, the footprint stays the same since the size increases in the vertical dimension.

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
I just wish the layout is the same as the a4-sfx. Simply because I would like to see both sides of the case and not seeing the GPU blocking view of the motherboard side. It makes sense if you have RGB ram and CPU Aio pump head.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Glad to see Dan is back and some more discussion for the C4.

I'm personally looking at just using a 240mm AIO for the CPU and keeping the GPU air-cooled. So, for purely selfish reasons, I'd prefer a side panel with no screws.

As for front I/O, I'm all for USB C. Over time we're going to see more and more peripherals moving to a USB C connection, and the external USB SSD that I'm most likely to use the front panel connection for is already supplied with a USB C cable (Samsung T5).

For anyone using headphones with a 3.5mm jack that can afford to build a system into a case like the C4, I'd highly recommend a small desktop headphone amp or DAC/Amp combo. They provide a noticeable improvement when paired with good headphones. Something like the Audioengine D1 would plug into a rear USB port.

Reactions: chyll2

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Please...no "dongle life"...we have Mac's for that... .:D
It's not a dongle, if the cables are the de facto standard for USB-C devices (for practical reasons).
Anyway, people are suggesting external sound cards for audio, but the usual cables are considered "dongles"? Interesting. ;)

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have two questions for you:

1) Is it worth dropping 2x 120mm AIO support for not seeing screws on the side panel?
2) What do you prefer USB Typ-C or Audio+Microphone?

1) Definitely keep the x2 120mm AIO functionality. Others have articulated well that the ability to watercool both the CPU and GPU without resorting to some VERY difficult custom watercooling planning, is a crucial advantage over other SFF options.

2) USB-C is extremely necessary at this price range. If you were building a budget friendly, mass produced box to compete with the likes of a ~$50 Fractal Design Focus, you could certainly make the argument for cheap, mass production for the lowest common denominator, but for this niche of a product, with the majority of your potential customers residing on the extreme end of the SFF enthusiast spectrum. Obsessively refreshing this thread, spending a sizable portion of their PC budget on semi-custom, sub-20L cases, nickle and diming adapters, custom cables, specific model fans and relatively unknown cooling components, just because they fit YOUR case perfectly.
For that crowd, and frankly, for the price you will be financially required to ask, USB-C should be a must.

Curous by the way, and feel free not to share, but what is the price premium you are getting quoted for the USB-C extension?
Obviously, USB-C has seen a bit disappointing in it's roll out, but can the price premium really be that much of a detractor for all of these companies in all of the sub categories still stuck on micro USB?

Reactions: Talyrius

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Also, I'm not a watercooling vet, so I'm certain that at least 51% of this crowd would know better than I, are there any modular CPU/GPU AIOs that would fit this case?
Like the EKWB EK-MLC Phoenix 240? Although not that one as it has a 68mm thickness with it's integrated pump.

Luvis

Efficiency Noob
Sep 17, 2018
I've had the opposite experience. My R9 390 was MUCH quieter and cooler when I put an AIO on it, and that's usually people's experience. GPUs are generally easier to cool than CPUs for the same wattage.
Emmm, it looks like 120 AIO makes sense. But what if you want to go for the 2080s, 9700ks, do you think 120 AIO could handle them? I think it may be better to cool the cpu with 240mm aio, because gpus are already cool enough.

vektorgon

What's an ITX?
Sep 29, 2018
Hi Dan,
I’m curious about why there is a necessary trade off between the 2x120mm AIO support and screwless side panels (which I’m guessing would instead use Lian Li’s ball and socket mounts)? It appears that in the photos you took back in May of some prototypes, the space required for mounting screws do not seem to pose any interference towards cooling hardware, therefore replacing them with tool-less mounting hardware would result in the same. I must admit I am new to using any AIO coolers and my intent was to use a 2x120mm radiator, even though I don’t plan on overclocking or water cooling a GPU, and I plan on having a TG panel installed which needs screws anyway.

Of course, that is my approach and everyone wants a different configuration so it’s hard to say what’s best. I’d say do what you want with the case design because after all it will end up being a very nice product I look forward to buying.
-Matt

Hi everyone,

1) Is it worth dropping 2x 120mm AIO support for not seeing screws on the side panel?

Kelly

Chassis Packer
May 2, 2018
I think depending on what screws you use the appeal may go up. I personally love seing hex screws. (Idk why don't ask me)

I think it adds character to the case

7Yy9fyfJ5E

What's an ITX?
Sep 29, 2018
Long time lurker, I've literally created an account just to reply to this. I will be direct: the dual AIO config is my sole interest in this case. I've been keeping an eye on it since a video on Optimum Tech's youtube channel.

I may be an unusual customer. I'm not looking to create the smallest system. I'm not willing to make some of the sacrifices that you have to make to go down the ultra-compact SFF route. I'm not interested in having to significantly restrict my GPU choice for example. I'm looking for a technological challenge: what's the smallest that I can make a high-powered system with good-to-excellent cooling?

My current rig was built 2015. i5 6600k, R9 Fury, it's still a complete monster. There's nothing I've thrown at it that it can't handle. So I'm not actively planning my next build - from a technology standpoint I will probably be upgrading in 2021 ish. However, I could pull that earlier if there was a bit of a challenge to it.

My interest in the C4 is that it's got dual AIO support. If that goes away, so does my interest in the case. I'm keeping an eye on the Raijintek Ophion Evo. I'm also very very interested in the Louqe Ghost, especially if I can make it work with a dual 240mm. However I vastly prefer the design of the C4, I think it's just a neater package overall

AbdullahQuan

Cable Smoosher
Apr 29, 2018
Hi everyone,

Please don't drop the 2 X 120mm AIO support, I don't mind the screws. Please keep the 240mm AIO radiator support in the design.

HooglyBoogly

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2016
Sorry to interrupt this conversation, but does anyone have a guess at the approximate timeline of this case's release? Like 3 months, 6 months, 1 year sort of thing. I love the idea behind it, but the timeline would change whether I would be able to get it.

Thanks in advance, but also I understand it it's too soon to tell.

Reactions: Kegw and t_sale

Luvis

Efficiency Noob
Sep 17, 2018
Sorry to interrupt this conversation, but does anyone have a guess at the approximate timeline of this case's release? Like 3 months, 6 months, 1 year sort of thing. I love the idea behind it, but the timeline would change whether I would be able to get it.

Thanks in advance, but also I understand it it's too soon to tell.
No idea. I will probably use a test bench, ncase, or something else as a backup plan.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I am new to watercooling. What 120mm AIO can you suggest that can work on cooling both? Will they be adequate?
I dont mind having screws on side panel but if I were to choose, I would pick screw-less design as long as it is stable.

USB Type C or no front IO at all.

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
It's not a dongle, if the cables are the de facto standard for USB-C devices (for practical reasons).
Anyway, people are suggesting external sound cards for audio, but the usual cables are considered "dongles"? Interesting. ;)
This is the current state of the industry. But it will move towards more USB c to USB c accessories. If we want to speed up the process we should research our peroperipherals to be USB c to USB c

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
And what do you hope to achieve by installing a 120mm AiO for the GPU? A radiator only makes sense if you can increase the cooling surface and the amount of fans. With a 120mm radiator and inside a small case like the C4 you won't be able to achieve that. Any full-size dual-slot video card will have a larger cooling surface and more fans than any 120mm-AiO that you can fit inside the C4.
I believe this is only partially true. The heat transport away from the chip is a LOT better! Also the radiator surface of 120mm AIOs is higher than one of a 120mm sized block of finstacks! At this point I believe only thorough A-B testing will solve the discussion!

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
This is the current state of the industry. But it will move towards more USB c to USB c accessories. If we want to speed up the process we should research our peroperipherals to be USB c to USB c
I get your concern about being future proof, but personally, I don't need a port that might be usable in the upcoming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.