DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
I wonder if Dan can shorten the GPU riser to pull in the card from the edge of the case, opening up the ~1/2 slot of space these new, larger cards seem to want. Hopefully this is possible without adversely impacting motherboard clearance or growing the volume of the case.

papsicleboy

Caliper Novice
Jun 19, 2018
I wonder if Dan can shorten the GPU riser to pull in the card from the edge of the case, opening up the ~1/2 slot of space these new, larger cards seem to want. Hopefully this is possible without adversely impacting motherboard clearance or growing the volume of the case.

I'm pretty sure the design allows for 2.5 slot cards already.

honestly though I have my sights set on other cases at the moment despite how much I like the design of the c4. @dondan is seemingly mia so its a mystery when this case will arrive.

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018

ScarletStar

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2018
Now to find a 2080 that will fit. The reference design 2070 will be unusable in this case due to the power connectors being on the side of the card. I am very excited for my upcoming build with this case. I will be using a 2080 with the 9600k.

For now I'm kinda sceptical about the RTX 20 Series. It's probably gonna have lots of problems for the first generation ray tracing. And the classic performance isn't that much better than the previous generation and definitely does not scale with the massive price hike.

So unless you know you're gonna get good use out of those RT cores, you're probably way better off getting a 1080Ti than a 2080.
I think this product cycle will be a short one with AMD Vega2 coming soon and Intel trying to get into the market as well. Right now Nvidia basically has a monopoly and is obviously trying to milk the market quickly before those two enter. That's why they released the Ti right off the bat.

I'll probably get a 1080Ti now that the prices will drop, and wait for the ray tracing to get the teething problems ironed out before switching.

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
For now I'm kinda sceptical about the RTX 20 Series. It's probably gonna have lots of problems for the first generation ray tracing. And the classic performance isn't that much better than the previous generation and definitely does not scale with the massive price hike.

So unless you know you're gonna get good use out of those RT cores, you're probably way better off getting a 1080Ti than a 2080.
I think this product cycle will be a short one with AMD Vega2 coming soon and Intel trying to get into the market as well. Right now Nvidia basically has a monopoly and is obviously trying to milk the market quickly before those two enter. That's why they released the Ti right off the bat.

I'll probably get a 1080Ti now that the prices will drop, and wait for the ray tracing to get the teething problems ironed out before switching.

So just from the specsheet a 2080TI has about 21% more cuda cores than a 1080ti. Also we have GDDR6 Memory instead of GDDR5X. Also the memorybandwith is up by almost 30%. So if we assume that both, the core and the memory are a little faster than previous, we should see about 30% or more performance increase between those cards. Pricewise its nearly double though.

Story is worse for the 2080 vs 1080, only 15% more cuda cores, 2070 and 1070 should be similar to 2080ti vs 1080ti.

Also I do not believe the story that we now have the TI model right from the start. I strongly believe there is something that will be out in half a year or so that is the turing generations Titan or true ti model as in previous years.

wykydtronik

Trash Compacter
Jun 26, 2018
Also I do not believe the story that we now have the TI model right from the start. I strongly believe there is something that will be out in half a year or so that is the turing generations Titan or true ti model as in previous years.

But we do have a 2080 Ti model from the start, it's a step up from the 2080. Perhaps later in 2019 there with be a Titan VI

sandrew

Efficiency Noob
Aug 21, 2018
I have a new question for you:

Whould it be a problem if the motherboard standoff will be a part of the side panel? This means you can't remove the panel without removing the motherboard. The advantage would be, that I don't need the middleplate. Then I will redesign the inner body that will have a bottom where you can screw the radiator. This will make mounting radiators much easier.

Disadvantages:
- you have to unscrew the motherboard to get access to its backside

Advantages:
- increasing stiffness of the case
- easier installation process for radiators
Returning to this question, I’m curious to hear your take on the idea (which several people have mentioned) of including a cutout in the side panel to preserve easy access a CPU cooler mounting bracket or an m.2 drive on the underside of the motherboard. The primary challenge would be to design an insert for the cutout that is removable while preserving the aesthetic and strucural integrity of the side panel.

One possible solution would be to create a removable steel mesh “cutout insert” that can be toollessly removed and, when installed, sits firmly in the cutout and flush with the exterior of the panel. (See A in picture.)

The Node 304 (pictured) has two of these, one on either side of its three-sided slide-on panel. (See A and B.) The idea is that the cutout has a lip on the interior of the panel around the circumferemce of the cutout. (See C.) The mesh cutout insert then has a half dozen or so “fingers”—sections around its circumference where the edges of the insert extend slightly—that act as clips that grip onto the shallow internal lip. (See D.) The result in the Node 304 is quite sturdy and attractive. Both inserts are removable—you can simply pop them in and out, which in the Node is handy for cleaning the mesh moreso than accessing components.

Possible Issues:

1) Manufacturing tolerances for the “fingers” may be quite small to ensure a snug fit. (My layman’s guess.)

2) Can you pop the inserts in and out of the cutout from the outside of the case, without removing the panel? (I believe so, but would require testing.)

3) Cost. For larger cutouts, the inserts seem to be reinforced with a plastic frame, rather than just bare mesh. Note that, in the Node picture, the smaller “A” side cutout insert is bare, unreinforced mesh (no plastic frame), whereas the larger “B” side insert is reinforced with a plastic frame. The manufacture of the combination frame + mesh inserts seems expensive. (Again, just a layman’s hunch.)

Best wishes and thanks for engaging the community in this project!

Last edited:

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
Returning to this question, I’m curious to hear your take on the idea (which several people have mentioned) of including a cutout in the side panel to preserve easy access a CPU cooler mounting bracket or an m.2 drive on the underside of the motherboard. The primary challenge would be to design an insert for the cutout that is removable while preserving the aesthetic and strucural integrity of the side panel.

One possible solution would be to create a removable steel mesh “cutout insert” that can be toollessly removed and, when installed, sits firmly in the cutout and flush with the exterior of the panel. (See A in picture.)

The Node 304 (pictured) has two of these, one on either side of its three-sided slide-on panel. (See A and B.) The idea is that the cutout has a lip on the interior of the panel around the circumferemce of the cutout. (See C.) The mesh cutout insert then has a half dozen or so “fingers”—sections around its circumference where the edges of the insert extend slightly—that act as clips that grip onto the shallow internal lip. (See D.) The result in the Node 304 is quite sturdy and attractive. Both inserts are removable—you can simply pop them in and out, which in the Node is handy for cleaning the mesh moreso than accessing components.

Possible Issues:

1) Manufacturing tolerances for the “fingers” may be quite small to ensure a snug fit. (My layman’s guess.)

2) Can you pop the inserts in and out of the cutout from the outside of the case, without removing the panel? (I believe so, but would require testing.)

3) Cost. For larger cutouts, the inserts seem to be reinforced with a plastic frame, rather than just bare mesh. Note that, in the Node picture, the smaller “A” side cutout insert is bare, unreinforced mesh (no plastic frame), whereas the larger “B” side insert is reinforced with a plastic frame. The manufacture of the combination frame + mesh inserts seems expensive. (Again, just a layman’s hunch.)

Best wishes and thanks for engaging the community in this project!
I would advocate for having the panel as one piece without any plastic mesh inserts as the comfort factor is not really important here (but looks is). You are building a SFF system that will never be easy, and how often will you swap coolers around? For me it does not matter if that takes longer.

theexplainer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 30, 2018
I'm eager to see some real world testing of the new NVIDIA RTX cards. With them now moving to an open air cooler, the ability of the chassis to exhaust the GPU heat becomes a much bigger deal than it has in the past, with the blower type coolers.

The upside is that if the C4-SFX is up to the task, we should end up with a much quieter system.
as the A4 and the C4 are not that different, regarding the GPU, I am sure there won't be any Issues regarding GPU heat. I got my 1080 OCed to almost 2000MHz in my Dan A4 running at 75°C at maximum load (after like 1 hour of running benchmarks nonstop) - I never saw good reasons to use a blower style GPU, as those tend to run hotter AND louder.

Tephnos

Average Stuffer
Jul 5, 2017
Popping in to say I'm honestly fine with the lack of cutout compromise in the case if the standoffs are added to the side panel. If the only downside is a minor inconvenience when tweaking or building, then it is something most of us do so very little that 10 extra minutes of hassle isn't that big a deal. Do it.

Danytx

Efficiency Noob
Mar 7, 2018
Do you have a purchase date for this case? and for months that I have been following this project, I can not wait any longer, as I understand dan has family commitments.
sorry for my shabby English

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
I would really like to see some sort of update soon cause at this point I'm starting to lose a bit of hope as much as I hate to say it. This is still the only case I have seen that I have fallen in love with, and I really want to see it come to life. I hope all is well @dondan

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I would really like to see some sort of update soon cause at this point I'm starting to lose a bit of hope as much as I hate to say it. This is still the only case I have seen that I have fallen in love with, and I really want to see it come to life. I hope all is well @dondan

You're not alone there, we'll just have to wait and see how it's going with @dondan, the first couple of months with a baby are challenging and demanding times on your energy and sanity!
Have faith, he's put a lot of time (and money, as he's made it to 1st prototype stage) into it, and he has a good track record of coming up with the goods.

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
Don't worry @dondan, we all are with you. In any case, my next build is not until 2019, so I can wait while the prices of RTX 2080ti drops to $999 atleast...(fingers crossed!)

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
Don't worry @dondan, we all are with you. In any case, my next build is not until 2019, so I can wait while the prices of RTX 2080ti drops to $999 atleast...(fingers crossed!)
I'm waiting for 2019 as well hoping my build keeps chugging along. I'd just like to see the case progress since I want to get excited about it again. I'm probably looking to run a delidded 9600k if they end up not soldering like they are with the 9900k and the 9700k, and a 2080. The build I have been using is from 2012 that is a mix match of parts since I was only 15, and had no clue what I was doing lmao.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Dan, thanks for stopping by and letting us know all is well.
We will carry on waiting happy in the knowledge that things are progressing.
Keep up the good work, and try to get some sleep!

Status
Not open for further replies.