DAN C4-SFX

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
I can't quite tell from the pics, but with the small increase in size to accomodate MATX, would it be possible to use SFX-L PSU and MATX alongside a NVIDIA FE card? Or would it have to be "standard" SFX?

Also, do the new jumbo air coolers fit? Thermalright Phantom Spirit/Peerless Assassin or DeepCool Assassin IV? Or is the D12L the limit for air cooler size?
SFX-L fits in the V1, no reason it wouldn't in V2.

Reactions: Dampfbox

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
For the people with a DAN C4-SFX v1.0, Yesterday I have managed to install a Liquid Freezer III 280 (black). It's a tight fit with the tubing's but I've managed to make it work. I've paired it with a 7800x3D and temps have come down a lot (as expected) compared to my air cooler NH-D12L. The new CPU block from the Liquid Freezer III just fits on the ASUS ROG STRIX B650e I. It leans a bit on the SSD tower sandwich but there is enough pressure on the CPU.

I had to move the power supply to the front with the standoffs to create space for the tubing's. I'm going to order some custom cables to have less wire mess in the case.

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
For the people with a DAN C4-SFX v1.0, Yesterday I have managed to install a Liquid Freezer III 280 (black). It's a tight fit with the tubing's but I've managed to make it work. I've paired it with a 7800x3D and temps have come down a lot (as expected) compared to my air cooler NH-D12L. The new CPU block from the Liquid Freezer III just fits on the ASUS ROG STRIX B650e I. It leans a bit on the SSD tower sandwich but there is enough pressure on the CPU.

I had to move the power supply to the front with the standoffs to create space for the tubing's. I'm going to order some custom cables to have less wire mess in the case.
Cheers, I was thinking off trying it - I have the BeQuiet 280 AIO right now and the pump is a little noisy - what's the Liquid Freezer like?

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
Cheers, I was thinking off trying it - I have the BeQuiet 280 AIO right now and the pump is a little noisy - what's the Liquid Freezer like?
With the included cable you can arrange all the VRM fan, pump and fans separate. I use fancontrol on my pc and set it to an acceptable sound / temperature level. But when it's running at 25% around 2000RPM it's silent, I can't hear a thing. I wish i had done it sooner :)

IISNAFUII

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020

Thanks for the info!

I just bought the LF III too because of the better design but was still worried on fitment.

Do you have any photos of your arrangement?

Reactions: boundary-stone

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
Thanks for the info!

I just bought the LF III too because of the better design but was still worried on fitment.

Do you have any photos of your arrangement?

I don't have any pictures right now. Since it's a tight fit I'm glad everything is working now and nothing touches the fans or the 4090 fan. When my custom cables arrive I'll make some photos. But what I did is move the PSU to the front, and have the tubes bend run above the power supply. This way they didn't have to bend that sharp and didn't have a change to hit the bottom GPU fan.

IISNAFUII

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
Also found out you can contact Arctic for an SSD heatsink replacement for the B650E-I (a mobo I'm looking at too) so that may help with interference issues if that's what you meant by leaning on the SSD tower.

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
Also found out you can contact Arctic for an SSD heatsink replacement for the B650E-I (a mobo I'm looking at too) so that may help with interference issues if that's what you meant by leaning on the SSD tower.
The B650E-I has an m.2 riser *and* a heatsink for the pcie 5 slot on the front of the board.

I think without any m.2 heatsink at all on the front m.2 slot (or even just using the rear m.2 slot for your boot drive) you could still end up with compatibility issues due to the riser.

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017

Yeah that's what I meant. The cutout is touching the ssd heatsink at the moment. But not enough for it to interfere with the CPU cooling. It's not perfect and 1 or 2 mm would already clear it. But for now it's fine and the LF3 is bolted down and afaik the SSD heatsink is not pressed down.

Do you have any communication about that replacement SSD heatsink?

IISNAFUII

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
Just need to contact their support with your invoices (proof of the AIO and proof of the mobo) and they'll send one out

Last edited:

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023

I'm also using a B650E-I and am interested in the possibility of using a Liquid Freezer III 280 in the C4 SFX with this motherboard.

When you say that the LF III "leans a bit" on the SSD tower sandwich are you using a bare m.2 with no heatsink, an m.2 drive with the m.2 heatsink that comes with the B650E-I installed above it or an m.2 drive that came with a pre-installed heatsink,?

The difference that this makes to the total height of the SSD tower sandwich is pretty large - using a bare m.2 with no heatsink adding +0mm, installing the B650E-I's included m.2 heatsink adding +10mm and many m.2 drives that come with pre-installed heatsinks adding up to +20mm or more.

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
Senaxx clarified to my post that's it's the SSD heatsink. You can look at the compatibility on the LF3 website here:
Right. There are two possible m.2 heatsinks the LF III could be coming into contact with - an m.2 heatsink that came preinstalled on an nvme he purchased or the m.2 heatsink included with the B650E-I that's part of the m.2 sandwich stack. It's not clear which one he is using in his example.

That the LF III is coming into contact with an m.2 heatsink doesn't tell me much if I don't which m.2 heatsink is being referenced or by extension what the thickness of that m.2 heatsink is.

IISNAFUII

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
Ok, I cannot clarify for Senaxx on whether they're using the motherboard heatsink or the nvme heatsink.

However as Arctic explicitly call out the m2 heatsink incompatibility on their compatibility list that I referenced above and have clarified with them via a support ticket I would say it is safe to assume the motherboard heatsink is incompatible as per their information. Assumming Senaxx is using this one it sounds like it is a few mm tight for tolerance.

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
Noctua has started to offer a Chromax version of their NH-D12L cooler, which I think is pretty awesome looking, and should be a solid option for those looking for a stealth-looking, air-cooling option for your C4-SFX.

Noctua Chromax NH-D12L Announcement
Definitely looks great. Hopefully gamersnexus will test the D12L too so we can tell how it compares to the PA120 mini they recently tested.

Facteur

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 6, 2024
We're about to enter the 2nd quarter of 2024, perhaps Dan could give us a small update on his prototype for the v2 ? 🤔