DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanashii

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2018
Yes it got it back a brand new tian X (pascal).My daughter Mia was born yesterday so currently I am very busy but i have very grat news for you I will stay with side I/O and found a way to make this case bettern than it is! XD
Congratulations Dan, welcome to fatherhood. It will be hard and full of long nights but it deserves every effort. Waiting your news about the case. We can wait, enjoy your family.

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
@Metroversal I thought push/pull was almost the same as push or pull, and thats with the same size rad. sacrificing rad size would probably be detrimental to the cooling.
Well, with a normal sized rad Push/Pull is superior configuration vs Push or Pull. Check the video below for stats etc.

I totally agree that surface area is important so in this case (no pun intended) it needs to be tested I guess. My only concern is that 15mm fans don't have a lot of static pressure.

Anyhow it's still cool to have Push/Pull as a viable option on a 10L case.

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
Well, with a normal sized rad Push/Pull is superior configuration vs Push or Pull. Check the video below for stats etc.

I totally agree that surface area is important so in this case (no pun intended) it needs to be tested I guess. My only concern is that 15mm fans don't have a lot of static pressure.

Anyhow it's still cool to have Push/Pull as a viable option on a 10L case.
Yeah i mean 55mm gives you 30mm rad + 25mm (normal) fans. In my head especially with noctuas a12x25 fans this would be superior to a 20mm AIO+ 2x 15 mm fans in push pull. But this needs to be tested I guess

Reactions: Talyrius

theexplainer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 30, 2018
Well, with a normal sized rad Push/Pull is superior configuration vs Push or Pull.
while some videos claim it is superior, others claim it is not. as far as I can tell - it's a myth. Better invest in bigger rads instead of smaller rads with double the Fans - if the Fans got enough static pressure to push the air through, another set of the same Fans running on the same Speed won't help at all. If they don't, it would help, but it would also help to just get the right fans for the job.

Last edited:

ScarletStar

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2018

low profile fans have lower static pressure. So doing push pull with those instead of just push or pull with a thicker fan probably makes no difference, except for the price of double the amount of fans.

EDIT:

Also just thicker rads don't do that much either.
You can think of a thicker rad like two half thickness rads behind each other. Which means the second rad has to work with the already heated up air from the first rad and thus works at reduced capacity.
So you get effectively only slightly more heat transfer area, but increased pressure drop and thus decreased airflow. At some point that cancels out and even reverses the trend so a thicker rad would actually hurt temperatures unless you put another fan on the other side to increase static pressure.

Bottom line:
So we already have a good middle ground with a normal thickness radiator and some standard thickness fans where we have an ample amount of good fans to choose from. I don't think fussing about with push pull or thicker/thinner rads is gonna do much for the temps to be worth the headache and delay. This project is already gonna be delayed enough as it is. With the next generation hardware being around the corner, I'd rather have this case a few weeks sooner rather than later.

Sure if this stuff fits in the current design then you all are welcome to test it once it's out. Just please don't make Daniel change the design an do more testing to make these fit. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
@dondan How's the kid? Has it been long enough to decide if she is going to be an easy kid to deal with or a troublemaker?

Hope you and the misses are getting enough sleep between the nightly watch shifts.

Reactions: wykydtronik

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
Next generation gpu annoucement or C4-sfx update? Which will come first?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
NG GPUs will come first, I expect.

Dan is busy being a new dad and has a day job (although being German, I expect he gets a reasonably generous paternal leave from his "real job"). Plus this case is still being tweaked last that I saw.

mb67

Chassis Packer
Oct 25, 2017
I want one

I just got the 120mm and the 240mm, and I'd love to try one of them out in the C4.

RaDus

Chassis Packer
Jul 15, 2018
I don't think fussing about with push pull or thicker/thinner rads is gonna do much for the temps to be worth the headache and delay. This project is already gonna be delayed enough as it is. With the next generation hardware being around the corner, I'd rather have this case a few weeks sooner rather than later.

Sure if this stuff fits in the current design then you all are welcome to test it once it's out. Just please don't make Daniel change the design an do more testing to make these fit. Thank you very much.

This. So much.
It seems like a recurring topic in the water cooling community. I'm not gonna start arguing about the merits of different configurations, because honestly, I don't care. 55mm clearance seems to cover the majority of AIO components, which is what is important here. It's not about cooling but rather compatibility with readily available (and existing) options. Personally, I consider 55mm a sweet spot and excellent compromise. There's no need to linger on that subject anymore.

HZCH

Trash Compacter
Jul 21, 2018
@mb67 Wow where did you buy that Haribo? I want some radiators as a bonus gift too :eek:
Pretty sure he got those haribos at caseking.de; got some when I bought my keyboard there some years ago...

Also, care to give a quick review of those slim XSPC rads if you were to test them by any chance? I'm curious of their performance compared to normal thickness rads...

Reactions: rfarmer

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
Now to find a 2080 that will fit. The reference design 2070 will be unusable in this case due to the power connectors being on the side of the card. I am very excited for my upcoming build with this case. I will be using a 2080 with the 9600k.

rfarmer

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jul 7, 2017
Now to find a 2080 that will fit. The reference design 2070 will be unusable in this case due to the power connectors being on the side of the card. I am very excited for my upcoming build with this case. I will be using a 2080 with the 9600k.

The 2070 is only 9" (228mm) long, you can fit a 306mm GPU in the Dan, I think nearly 80mm will be enough to route your PCI power connector.

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
The 2070 is only 9" (228mm) long, you can fit a 306mm GPU in the Dan, I think nearly 80mm will be enough to route your PCI power connector.
Wow I knew that it looked small in the screenshots they posted. Didn't really is was that small pretty crazy they are packing that much power in it.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I'm eager to see some real world testing of the new NVIDIA RTX cards. With them now moving to an open air cooler, the ability of the chassis to exhaust the GPU heat becomes a much bigger deal than it has in the past, with the blower type coolers.

The upside is that if the C4-SFX is up to the task, we should end up with a much quieter system.

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
I'm eager to see some real world testing of the new NVIDIA RTX cards. With them now moving to an open air cooler, the ability of the chassis to exhaust the GPU heat becomes a much bigger deal than it has in the past, with the blower type coolers.

The upside is that if the C4-SFX is up to the task, we should end up with a much quieter system.

They do still use vapor chambers! Its just two fans added, the shroud is still closed off, all the heat will be exhausted on the back.

Edit: I have to revoke my statement, just saw a different angle of the card with the side fully open. So yeah the case will need to exhaust all of the heat. Unfortunately a lot of the custom designs will also exceed 2 slots...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.