DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

wykydtronik

Trash Compacter
Jun 26, 2018
@Metroversal Interesting... I like the angled ones too... It makes the case look like it's floating (say from eye level)...

Although I know this isn't the right type of forum to bring this up... but the jonsbo style feet you illustrated reminds me of the old school Apple PowerMac Dual G5... With that being said, the brush aluminum case design would probably be very popular in the Hackintosh community... I've built a few of those in my free time. XD

Reactions: Metroversal

enome

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2018
Was on trip for my company sponsored event, and I just went through a rollercoaster of emotions to read few pages of forums of good news.

In the end, I think everyone's feedback did make an impact and want to congratulate @dondan on his even more special news.
However on the I/O topic, I think there will be some I/O swapping implications if the I/O was to be on the top, and then flipping the case to have radiators on the bottom or the top. Meanwhile the side I/Os will still be 'reachable'/usable even after the case flip.

I'm thinking the whole I/O needs to be on a single assembly, then additional holes (to fasten the I/O assembly to the case) have to be made to switch that assembly position to make sure that the I/O is on the top even after case flip.

Despite this, I still prefer to have the side I/O. I think it does have design/aesthetic properties.

Reactions: wykydtronik

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I actually like those Jonsbo feet on this case... I like Dan’s current design better, but if things need changed... that would be a pretty nice fit.

Also... CONGRATS @dondan!!! That’s wonderful news! :)

enome

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2018
Although its a great news, and dont get me wrong its a very great news.

I was somewhat disappointed to hear that we might have a potential delay on a case that I've been so eagerly waiting for and never been so excited about, but this is just me being selfish.

I wish the best for @dondan 's family and their newest family member! (also its great to see this forum so alive again)

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Dan already did a poll concerning the I/O placement. Side I/O received the most votes and I think it is still the most popular choice today.

As reported by @almidax side I/O is not a problem on a standard desk:

Unfortunately I have a shallow desk; in fact I voted for side io in the original poll before I moved for my first job.

How I think about it is using the side io is akin to having a wider case whereas top io is like a taller case.

Reactions: Talyrius

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I have a new question for you:

Whould it be a problem if the motherboard standoff will be a part of the side panel? This means you can't remove the panel without removing the motherboard. The advantage would be, that I don't need the middleplate. Then I will redesign the inner body that will have a bottom where you can screw the radiator. This will make mounting radiators much easier.

Disadvantages:
- you have to unscrew the motherboard to get access to its backside

Advantages:
- increasing stiffness of the case
- easier installation process for radiators

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
@dondan I’m ok on having standoffs on the side panel, but I feel like it will look a little weird.

Why don’t you opt for steel for the case frame and aluminum for the panels? Case will be cheaper and stronger. Looks like a win-win to me.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
You will not see the stand off because they are on the inside.

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
Yes of course, actually it’s the idea that seems a little weird to me BUT as I’ve said I’m totally ok if that will make tha case a bit more stiff. :)

Still wondering about steel interiors though. I know that steel is heavier but it also comes with a price and strength advantage.

Reactions: chyll2

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
You will be able to remove all componetsn expect theses ones that are screwed over the backside of the motherboard like M.2 SSD and some heatsinks.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
For my purposes, having the standoffs mounted directly to the side panel will make no difference.

However, the space between the side panel and the motherboard tray is normally a good place to tuck your cabling out of sight, especially in a case with a window.

The other problem could be for people who want to transport their PC around a lot. Anything hitting the side panel that the motherboard is mounted to would transfer that impact to the motherboard, and other components mounted to it. Perhaps something like rubber grommets placed between the standoff and motherboard could reduce any shock or vibration transferred from the side panel to the motherboard.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016

Whould it be a problem if the motherboard standoff will be a part of the side panel? This means you can't remove the panel without removing the motherboard. The advantage would be, that I don't need the middleplate. Then I will redesign the inner body that will have a bottom where you can screw the radiator. This will make mounting radiators much easier.

Disadvantages:

Advantages:
Sounds clumpsy. That’s my initial reaction. To counter this: What about adding an opening to access motherboard backside (cooler / waterblock mounting / m.2 access)? This opening will can be closed off via a cover plate that is flush mounted to the back panel. To accommodate the flush mount, the motherboard standoffs would have to be slightly taller. What do you think?

Reactions: sandrew

wykydtronik

Trash Compacter
Jun 26, 2018

Disadvantages:

Advantages:

The advantages out weigh the disadvantages... As long as it doesn't impact the exterior of the panel I don't see any reason why not.

Sounds clumpsy. That’s my initial reaction. To counter this: What about adding an opening to access motherboard backside (cooler / waterblock mounting / m.2 access)? This opening will can be closed off via a cover plate that is flush mounted to the back panel. To accommodate the flush mount, the motherboard standoffs would have to be slightly taller. What do you think?

I feel like this would take away from the design aesthetic. Plus there is no standard for where the positioning of m.2 slots are for all mobos.

Last edited:

AlsaceFiris

Chassis Packer
Jul 4, 2018
Hello ! Well I'm new on the forum but I registered here because I will surely build a PC SFF

The Dan Case C4, I like a lot (as the In Win A1) however it seems to be massively watercooling, a config aircooling configuration (CPU, case) it would go? I like having a plan B

Sorry for my poor English

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
Hello ! Well I'm new on the forum but I registered here because I will surely build a PC SFF

The Dan Case C4, I like a lot (as the In Win A1) however it seems to be massively watercooling, a config aircooling configuration (CPU, case) it would go? I like having a plan B

Sorry for my poor English
Dan C4-SFX Pros
  • Is half the size (volume) of the A1 (10L VS 20L)
  • supports 240mm radiators or two 120mm radiators
  • supports 2.5 slots GPUs
  • GPU is vertically mounted
  • can be flipped 180°
  • might include a type-C port (still WIP)

InWin A1 Pros
  • supports taller CPU heatsinks up to 160mm
  • embedded Qi Wireless Charger
  • ATX PSU included w/ custom length cables

They are very different cases :)

AlsaceFiris

Chassis Packer
Jul 4, 2018
"supports 2.5 slots GPUs"

I have my answer, so I would not have to be afraid that the GPU overheats because often in the current case, if there is the possibility to have the GPU vertically, well it is very close to tempered glass

Both are very different but I also like this little In Win A1 even if it looks like a microwave XD

Zambacan

Efficiency Noob
Jun 22, 2018
Not a good attitude to have. This thread is basically acting as a little focus group and is a staple of qualitative research used when designing new products that every good company will partake in. As a result, these opinions actually matter in the wider scope of things (otherwise they would not be so widely used), and your decision to ignore them is telling me that you just want to do your own thing regardless of what people think - if that wasn't the case, there would be no problem with moving forward with surveys to gather a wider range of opinions, right?

I think it's safe to say that, as I stated above, you don't care that people prefer the original design and you're going to do what you want regardless with the overall direction of the design. At the end of the day though, it's your product and your decision. If you wanted to maximise commercial success, however (just from a business standpoint I can't fathom someone who'd deliberately shoot profits in the foot), I'd take the qualitative research a bit more seriously.

I may seem harsh, but I just dislike it when people ignore a small 'total' of opinions, completely ignoring that it represents a large majority of a select group and will therefore likely spread out if the group size were to increase (and this is where you use surveys etc to confirm those findings as the focus group is indeed not the end-all, but it is still a very good place to begin from).

As for the case above, my opinion on it is this: It's looking better, but it's still missing the spark that made the original C4 so attractive; I doubt I'd be buying this design.
Slightly harsh in tone but nevertheless constructive feedback.

Zambacan

Efficiency Noob
Jun 22, 2018
Dan C4-SFX Pros
  • Is half the size (volume) of the A1 (10L VS 20L)
  • supports 240mm radiators or two 120mm radiators
  • supports 2.5 slots GPUs
  • GPU is vertically mounted
  • can be flipped 180°
  • might include a type-C port (still WIP)

InWin A1 Pros
  • supports taller CPU heatsinks up to 160mm
  • embedded Qi Wireless Charger
  • ATX PSU included w/ custom length cables

They are very different cases :)
I think many people choose a design they like and flex to find a way to make it work. InWin A1 looks like a toaster to me so that that’s the end of it.

Zambacan

Efficiency Noob
Jun 22, 2018
IMHO silver looks better! If one of the two option is easier for cable management I would go with that direction... It may allow for a bigger set of ports (an HDMI for VR compatibility?)... Otherwise it doesn't matter at all for me
Silver looks good with that glass but if the case was all metal I think black is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.