DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
@dondan IF you can keep the I/O on the side, and same feet design that would be GREAT. :cool:

Most cases are not that stiff when there are no parts installed, I don't think it's a problem at all.

The A4-SFX feet aren't great, they have little grip. If you decide not to go with the angled feet design I hope you find a third option.

Reactions: Woxys

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Metroversal: For A4 I changes the feets to a rubber based version since v2 and this one have a lot of grip.
@Brude27:
I/Os b/c it looks like hell once everything is plugged
If I argument like everyone else:This is only temporary ;)

@All: I think the case stiffness is very important because this is the difference between a cheap case and a premium case.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
@Brude27:
If I argument like everyone else:This is only temporary ;)

I'm very confident in your design work @dondan, so I hope you didn't take that as a disparaging remark towards anything you've created.

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking specifically about the C4 in that comment... I was talking in general about top placed I/Os, and even front I/Os for that matter. The only front I/O I like is from the Ncase M1, and I give major props to @Necere for that design.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here are some pictures so you can see how pluged in top i/o and side i/o will look like:

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Yep... I definitely think the side I/O looks better. I have my case on the right side of my desk, which would hide all of the cables (my main goal), but I understand how this isn't everyone's concern. Thanks for the pics @dondan!

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
IMHO silver looks better! If one of the two option is easier for cable management I would go with that direction... It may allow for a bigger set of ports (an HDMI for VR compatibility?)... Otherwise it doesn't matter at all for me

Reactions: HeyoItsGabo

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I prefer the look of the side I/O and, from a practical point of view, it allows you to place whatever USB devices you're connecting on the desk next to the case instead of having them sitting on top of it. If the top I/O is really going to work better though that won't be a deal breaker for me.

I'd like to see a USB C port added to the I/O as it makes the case more future proof. Things like external SSDs are already using USB C ports.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
To me, the side ports look better (though top looks okay).

Regarding the safety/danger of the port placement, I actually don't think that concern should be given too much consideration. After all, laptops have their ports on the sides and are moved around by their users far more often, and I'd wager that everyone here is fine with those already. A desktop case that moves around less often and is used by a significantly more savvy crowd of users is unlikely to have its ports/devices damaged unless someone is being negligent.

wabbit

Efficiency Noob
Apr 28, 2018
  • Case feet’s: The angled case feet’s that you can see in the rendering in the first post of this thread has two problems: The case balance point is top-heavy. With the angled one it is very easy to bowl down the case. The problem is also bigger if you don’t install a GPU. The second problem is, that both angled bottom plates (silver and black) has the problem that they are not mate 100% proper this will result in a wobbling case because one corner has no contact to the ground. I think I will use the top plate also for the bottom part with four A4 feet’s attached.

Moving to three rubber feet might improve both ground contact and balance, two at the front edge and one centred at the back edge or the other way round. It should move the pivot point from along one side of the case, between the two feet opposite the i/o ports as you plug in, to being a diagonal through the case?

Would need to find a way to mount the single foot though

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
I think for the most part I'll have everything plugged in through the back, but I like the aesthetics of the side IO better. Either way it shouldn't be a big deal, but with such a small case, using the IO, especially tip IO looks goofy to me.

Would a metal/plastic cover be possible to come as an optional extra (for an extra cost) as an IO cover?

Reactions: Crysilus

Talyrius

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2018
If the top I/O provides more structural rigidity, I'd much prefer that over something that feels flimsy. Besides, it looks great! I hope we can get USB-C included as well.

BTW, it looks very similar to the earlier Lian Li prototype:
Lian Li build the prototypes again and now the quality is very good. Here are some pictures of the top i/o version:

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Just spent the last 20 minutes catching up on the last 7 pages of bickering.

I was mighty pleased to get to today's update and it was good news indeed.

The original design drew in a good amount of hype. I'm glad it can be saved.

Reactions: Nanook and Talyrius

wykydtronik

Trash Compacter
Jun 26, 2018
Here are some pictures so you can see how pluged in top i/o and side i/o will look like:

Need this for LAN Parties!!!

I personally like the side I/O - makes it look more unique. The top I/O makes the tempered glass look like another generic case. IMO, it really takes away from the design.

I may have missed this answer earlier, what's the clearance for an air-cooled CPU heatsink on this case (this would be Plan B worse case scenario)? I was thinking about traveling with this case. I would have to ship an AIO separate according to TSA rules/regulation or use a custom loop I'd drain before traveling.

wykydtronik

Trash Compacter
Jun 26, 2018
After really studying the photos of the side and top I/O options... I don't mind either, but I am still leaning towards the side I/O if I were to choose tempered glass. The top I/O looks sleek with the perforated side panel.

Zerohalcyon

Case Bender
Jun 3, 2018
Side I/O, saves me from getting up off my chair to plug stuff in lol!

Looks better. IMO most stuff plugged in while be temporary. If you are buying this case, you likely wanted it in the first place for it’s clean design. Kinda ruining the look if you are to Frankenstein USB it as a permernant solution.

Appreciate the decision going back to the original design. Was about to drop interest with such a major change.

Reactions: Woxys
Status
Not open for further replies.