DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

galletabah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
@galletabah I do prefer it aesthetically to the prototype, which I also find to be a gorgeous case as I've stated previously. I like that when I look at the unibody design, I immediately know it's a Dan Case, and I'm a fan of the idea of expanding/creating a recognized brand.

I'm not sure why you don't consider the unibody a "fresh air" case, b/c the A4 is just that... it's a really tight fit, but that's where the C4 comes in. The potential change to unibody doesn't change the fundamentals of the C4's internal layout that has been discussed from the start of this thread, but actually allows for more space/compatibility as @dondan has said.
Probably is because I think this FIRST render:

Is like 100 times better (personal opinion) than a bigger a4 sfx

EDIT: and I dont says that ignorantly, because I have had four dan a4 sfx, one is in my side right now, I Like it, But I think we need a new case not a rehash

Last edited:
Reactions: Talyrius

alex_aalex

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 22, 2018
@dondan I've been following this case for 7 months. I think change the case's shape is a bad idea. I really like the first design this is why I decided to buy it, it looks amazing, I could say that is the best design I've ever seen and really small that fits in anywhere. I guess most of people of here are interested in the first design cuz it has been almost the one.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
@galletabah I do prefer it aesthetically to the prototype, which I also find to be a gorgeous case as I've stated previously. I like that when I look at the unibody design, I immediately know it's a Dan Case, and I'm a fan of the idea of expanding/creating a recognized brand.

I'm not sure why you don't consider the unibody a "fresh air" case, b/c the A4 is just that... it's a really tight fit, but that's where the C4 comes in. The potential change to unibody doesn't change the fundamentals of the C4's internal layout that has been discussed from the start of this thread, but actually allows for more space/compatibility as @dondan has said.

You are allowed to prefer the unibody design, but you're wrong nevertheless! XD

@dondan I've been following this case for 7 months. I think change the case's shape is a bad idea. I really like the first design this is why I decided to buy it, it looks amazing, I could say that is the best design I've ever seen and really small that fits in anywhere. I guess most of people of here are interested in the first design cuz it has been almost the one.

I agree wholeheartedly, but it's not our case design, it's up to @dondan at the end of the day

@dondan - thanks for keeping us entertained, and a new C3 thread would be good.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
You are allowed to prefer the unibody design, but you're wrong nevertheless! XD

Haha! Whichever design makes it to the production run will be seated beautifully on my desk either way... if that's still wrong, then I don't want to be right! :p

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Currently I thing the demand is lower as for the A4 in the same time. The threads in the German forum and on Hardforum are nearly dead.

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
Currently I thing the demand is lower as for the A4 in the same time. The threads in the German forum and on Hardforum are nearly dead.
There isn't really much to talk about currently as you said we should be expecting something in Q4. I just don't think a lot of people know this exists. I would try to get some samples out in the fall to try to get some attention to it. People love the A4, and I think a lot of people would love something like the C4 from you. It took me a long time of searching sff cases to find the C4 especially when you don't really know what you're looking for.

papsicleboy

Caliper Novice
Jun 19, 2018
@dondan do you think you will go with the unibody design? Do you have some renderings or plans you could post of it? I know there were some done previously but I'm also interested in the size change.

FdeFons

Caliper Novice
Dec 8, 2017
I think that to change the design is to throw months of work, sincerely I do not want a big A4, want slightly only and badge since it is this case, a4 in his day it was very coveted because there were no many options itx, but now to make him a different case will give points personally I think it.

Thank you for all the realized work :)

enome

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2018
Surprisingly, I'm pretty neutral to the design change as long as we still get our front I/O that was planned originally. But I can't imagine being able to fit a SSD behind the front panel anymore since its an unibody design, so USB-C would be nice XD

However, I would like to see some real-world temperature testings and see the physical differences instead of renderings.

Furthermore, if the unibody design is sacrificing the SSD drive in the front AND the front I/O thats a whole different story. That's something I won't approve of (if it was my project) but in the end it's all designer/engineer's choice.

I definitely would like to know how much cost efficient it would be for us (the consumers/buyers/supporters) to go in the unibody design. If we are talking like under 180 USD, then count me in.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
If the unibody design is what @dondan goes with, I will be happy, but definitely miss the side I/O and power button. That was one of my favorite features of the current prototype, as I don't personally like a front I/O... I actually wish the A4 had a clean front panel if I'm being honest. But all of this unibody talk is speculation at this point, and we just need to await important decisions before getting too carried away (we might already be there, haha). That anticipation, though... >.<

madbrayniak

Caliper Novice
Jun 23, 2018
Hey all, I just joined the forum because of this case.

I currently have an M8 from Caselabs w/ a single 360 rad but I am wanting to make the M8 a server for mine and my wife's home business and maybe a cache server for game updates so that I am not limited by my ISP when I want to get games updated.

Then I would like to build an ITX PC for my own work/gaming. Would like to continue watercooling the CPU so I am wondering if the Swiftech CPU block/pump combo would fit behind the GPU on this case? heck, you might be able to watercool the GPU as well on a 240 with how efficient todays gear is getting.

zanduh

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2018
The original design which we’ve seen physical prototypes for is far better imo than the unibody design we’ve seen.

But ultimately it’s your product and you’ll find people who like whatever you produce

omega24

Caliper Novice
Dec 11, 2017
I have to agree with what most people are saying here. IMO the current design that you had a prototype built for looks better, and that's the case that I'm very interested in buying. If you decide to switch to the unibody design I can't say I wouldn't be a little disappointed.

omega24

Caliper Novice
Dec 11, 2017
The main problem is the tubing and the quick connect parts. They are very long and big. It will be only work if you use custom tubing without quick connections. Also I think the CPU block is to high. So if we pick the radiator, pumb combo as base component you can use custom tubing and water blocks. You can fill the system over the fill port of the radiator.

If we make now the case bigger we need the following size to make it fit:

255x138,6x315,8 (HxWxL) = 11,2 L

@dondan If you're making the case a little bit longer is there any way you could squeeze a 3.5" drive option into the front of the case? If your current design allows for a 2.5" drive like the Seagate 5TB Barracuda at .6" thick, and the extra 11.3mm of length (.44") would give a space a little over 1 inch thick. That's enough space for most 3.5" drives to fit in. I think that would be a great addition to the case to give it even more flexibility for components. Just an idea that I seriously hope you consider. 3.5" drives are just so common and also cheaper. It would make it easier for people to downsize too because they wouldn't necessarily have to buy a bunch of new hard drives to fit the case.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
The original design which we’ve seen physical prototypes for is far better imo than the unibody design we’ve seen.

But ultimately it’s your product and you’ll find people who like whatever you produce

I have to agree with what most people are saying here. IMO the current design that you had a prototype built for looks better, and that's the case that I'm very interested in buying. If you decide to switch to the unibody design I can't say I wouldn't be a little disappointed.

I agree with both of these comments, they succinctly pretty much sum up how I feel about the C4 SFX.
I have become quite attached to the design that was prototyped, including the side switch / IO, and would be disappointed if that was canned in favour of a unibody A4 styled C4.
I can see the logic though, as it would show the same design cues and family resemblance; but the C4 really worked for me.
The idea of the dual 120mm fans should make an aircooled version cooler/quieter than my current SG13 for example.
Although an enlarged C4 would be a similar volume to the SG13, I still prefer the shape for my purposes. The SG13 (and its predecessors) do score in the fact that he GPU has a side air inlet and the GPU isn't under strain, as it's vertically oriented.

There, that's my current 2p (2c, or insert your currency of preference*) worth for you

*5c for you kiwis, as you sensibly phased out those pesky 1 and 2c coppers!

Reactions: Talyrius

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I agree with both of these comments, they succinctly pretty much sum up how I feel about the C4 SFX.
I can see the logic though, as it would show the same design cues and family resemblance; but the C4 really worked for me.
The idea of the dual 120mm fans should make an aircooled version cooler/quieter than my current SG13 for example.
Although an enlarged C4 would be a similar volume to the SG13, I still prefer the shape for my purposes. The SG13 (and its predecessors) do score in the fact that he GPU has a side air inlet and the GPU isn't under strain, as it's vertically oriented.

The internal design will not be changed if I go for unibody C4. The main reason for switching to this design is to be sure that we have no quality problems like scratching parts inside.

The volume of the SG13 is 11,5L vs 10,5L of the new C4-SFX size.

Reactions: Arboreal
Status
Not open for further replies.