DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverTurtle

Cable Smoosher
Jun 22, 2018
If the the volume limits of the of the C4 do not apply, and the case is being redesigned, would it be possible to make case compatible with the EK Phoenix kits? It seems like the perfect fit for a SFF case like this with its pump/radiator combo.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The main problem is the tubing and the quick connect parts. They are very long and big. It will be only work if you use custom tubing without quick connections. Also I think the CPU block is to high. So if we pick the radiator, pumb combo as base component you can use custom tubing and water blocks. You can fill the system over the fill port of the radiator.

If we make now the case bigger we need the following size to make it fit:

255x138,6x315,8 (HxWxL) = 11,2 L

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Not super relevant... but I have a bad experience with an alphacool plastic qdc breaking. I’d only trust CPC from now on

enome

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2018
The main problem is the tubing and the quick connect parts. They are very long and big. It will be only work if you use custom tubing without quick connections. Also I think the CPU block is to high. So if we pick the radiator, pumb combo as base component you can use custom tubing and water blocks. You can fill the system over the fill port of the radiator.

I think a simple 5-7mm increase would solve a lot of compatibility issues with 2x120mm AIOs but im not the designer/engineer so I wouldn't know what else it would affect, but a 5-7mm increase in depth would be nice. @dondan

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
If I go for unibody design you will have 318mm in depth so 2x 120mm AIO is no problem.

Btw I found a solution how to mount custom loops without the need of an reservoir. You need a XFlow radiator like the Alphacool . This radiator has a thread on both sides (4 in total).

Step 1: Build up your loop.
Step 2: Flip the case so the radiator is on top and you have access to the backside of it.
Step 3: Remove one port thread cover. (On that side of the radiator where the suck in tube of the pumb is installed)
Step 4: Put a horn inside the port and fill the system up with water
Step 5: Start only the pump
Step 6: Fill water inside until you have enough water inside

Last edited:

FdeFons

Caliper Novice
Dec 8, 2017

I think that the topic of the AIO 120mm might be solved by a bit more of length, too would be worth to place graphics cards of more length, as the 1080ti evga ftw3 with 299,7 mm of length, if I do not remember badly, in the current model the C4 allow only up to cards of 295mm

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Today I worked just for fun on a C4-SFX version based on Lian Li's unibody way to make cases (there is no inner frame only one big outer frame). Maybe a backup solution if i am not happy with the real live results of the current version.

Additional information: A unibody version like this can reduce the price from 180€ to 160-170€. Because the case will have less parts.

Also I really think of changing the design of the C4 to an unibody case like Lian Li v760.
The current design needs to be manufactured very very accurate to not have quality problems like scratching inner parts while attaching outer panels. Furthermore a unibody design will reduce production costs a lot and will make mass production (if the interest is high enough) very easy. Furthermore I like the design of Lian Li's unibody cases with round corners like the A4 so much more (only my personal feeling).

If I go for unibody design you will have 318mm in depth so 2x 120mm AIO is no problem.

The unibody design will allow up to 315mm

All signs are pointing in one direction, and I'd love to see more renders of the unibody design @dondan. As I mentioned in a previous post... it's my personal favorite version thus far. :)

Reactions: galletabah

galletabah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
really, what happen with the original c4? is the best fck...ing sff case ever "made" . Why are you trying to drop it in the trash can.
Now you are posting thinks without saying us why are you trying to change that. I dont see a problem in the original dual rad idea, add 3 o 4 mm in the front and everyone will be happy, nobody will realize about that. What is the cost of the unibody? 20-30$ less?(150 vs 180) men, this is sff world.

Reactions: Talyrius

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
really, what happen with the original c4? is the best fck...ing sff case ever "made" . Why are you trying to drop it in the trash can.
Now you are posting thinks without saying us why are you trying to change that. I dont see a problem in the original dual rad idea, add 3 o 4 mm in the front and everyone will be happy, nobody will realize about that. What is the cost of the unibody? 20-30$ less?(150 vs 180) men, this is sff world.

I highlighted it for you:

...There also some other things that need to be redisgn for the C4-SFX because for my personal experience the case is too small. I think of adding 0,75-1L to have more space for routing cables and a easier installation of the components and get more space for dual 120mm AIOs.

Also I really think of changing the design of the C4 to an unibody case like Lian Li v760.
The current design needs to be manufactured very very accurate to not have quality problems like scratching inner parts while attaching outer panels. Furthermore a unibody design will reduce production costs a lot and will make mass production (if the interest is high enough) very easy. Furthermore I like the design of Lian Li's unibody cases with round corners like the A4 so much more (only my personal feeling).

From the internal layout the unibody design will be the same + more space. From the outside it will look very similar to the A4-SFX

galletabah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
aNyway, you are trying to introduce a new idea (matx) while all of the users are confused.
So now, WE CANT know what will you do.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
if we could all take 5 before pressing the reply button ._. Daniel did say it's an unrelated concept. not sure why a few saw that as a heel-toe turn on something that already has a physical prototype

Lian Li build the prototypes again and now the quality is very good. Here are some pictures of the top i/o version:
(press arrow for pics)

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I sympathise with you there, @galletabah; things have escalated quickly from a smooth C4-SFX development path to a major redesign and a potential additional case.
@dondan Can I suggest that the proposed mATX design - C3(?) case be moved to a separate thread please? For the sake of our sanity!

I for one will miss the C4 SFX design as it has been, it seemed a perfect match for my SFF needs...
That said, I will be open to the unibody concept to see where it goes; it's a Dancase project after all.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Without pics, I really cant understand this situation anymore

Today I worked just for fun on a C4-SFX version based on Lian Li's unibody way to make cases (there is no inner frame only one big outer frame). Maybe a backup solution if i am not happy with the real live results of the current version.

Additional information: A unibody version like this can reduce the price from 180€ to 160-170€. Because the case will have less parts.

It's on page 26, so from a little while back... but pics exist, and they are sexy af. Hope this helps @galletabah

Reactions: Arboreal

galletabah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
if we could all take 5 before pressing the reply button ._. Daniel did say it's an unrelated concept. not sure why a few saw that as a heel-toe turn on something that already has a physical prototype

(press arrow for pics)
This is the case I WANT, and the reason I SOLD my ncase

It's on page 26, so from a little while back... but pics exist, and they are sexy af. Hope this helps @galletabah

And you prefer this case vs the actual prototype? becase I want a fresh air case, this is literally a bigger dan A4

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
@galletabah I do prefer it aesthetically to the prototype, which I also find to be a gorgeous case as I've stated previously. I like that when I look at the unibody design, I immediately know it's a Dan Case, and I'm a fan of the idea of expanding/creating a recognized brand.

I'm not sure why you don't consider the unibody a "fresh air" case, b/c the A4 is just that... it's a really tight fit, but that's where the C4 comes in. The potential change to unibody doesn't change the fundamentals of the C4's internal layout that has been discussed from the start of this thread, but actually allows for more space/compatibility as @dondan has said.

Status
Not open for further replies.