DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Khanza

Chassis Packer
Jan 24, 2019
I am thinking of including the 3M riser to the next batch of A4-SFXv4.1
Is someone interested in a featur like this. The current product price is $199 / 199€ the new product price would be $215-220 or 215-220€ is this the upgrade worth?

What do you think?
why not give the buyer option to choose between adt or 3m riser in the purchase? or sold 3m riser separately.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The good price with 3M is only possible because of the high quantities of the orders. So if I split it to 50% ADT and 50% 3M the price will be higher. Furthermore if I speperate the products my resellers will earn on both because they will have higher logistic and administration costs so the price is higher. If I sell it included I will not increase my profit so you will get the riser for purchase price this is the reason for the low price with 3M included.

Last edited:
Reactions: HFoletto

Ranker

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
The good price with 3M is only possible because of the high quantities of the orders. So if I split it to 50% ADT and 50% 3M the price will be higher. Furthermore if I speperate the products my resellers will earn on both because they will have higher logistic and administration costs so the price is higher. If I sell it included I will not increase my profit so you will get the riser for purchase price this is the reason for the low price with 3M included.

Are there any downsides to the 3M riser besides increased price? Having owned v2, v3, v4, I've liked the current riser the most due to the efficient length of the cable allowing for more usable space for fans/gpus/cables etc.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The only downsides is the look with green PCBs and silver cables, but also the 3M allows for very tight bends so a fan under the board will fit without any problems. I already tested it.

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017

Can you also sell it separate so people can upgrade to the 3M riser?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Daemos :

Currently I like to discuss this:

Is someone interested in a featur like this. The current product price is $199 / 199€ the new product price would be $215-220 or 215-220€ is this the upgrade worth?

What do you think?

If there will be a v4.1 with 3M riser we can talk about a upgrade kit.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I'd be happy to pay extra for the 3M riser, especially since I normally keep and upgrade my PCs for quite some time, and this would help to futureproof it.

Maybe you could setup a poll?

I'd also imagine that those who don't want/need the PCIe 4.0 riser would be able to sell it quite easily to existing A4 owners.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
It would be really nice to know how long it will be before Nvidia and Intel implement PCI 4.0. If this is coming in the next generation might be worth doing now, but if it is still several years off might not be any need.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I'm sure we'll see PCIe 4.0 support from other vendors in the next year or so, but mainly for marketing. The main reason to have support in a SFF case, is to allow for upgrades years from now when the extra bandwidth may be required.

Take a look at this article from TechPowerUp, where they test GPU performance scaling across different speeds of PCIe.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-pci-express-scaling/

TL: DR - Even one of the fastest current gen cards (RTX 2080 ti) is only just starting to exceed the capability of a PCIe 8x slot.

However, Nvidia is still using a 12nm process for their GPUs and it looks like their next gen cards (Ampere), will move to a Samsung 7nm process in 2020, so there's a possibility that we could see the limits of PCIe 3.0 16x being reached sometime next year already.

Pappas

Cable Smoosher
Jul 3, 2019
@Daemos :

Currently I like to discuss this:

What do you think?

I vote yes to including it. I for one would have preferred the pcie 4 riser on the a4v4 i bought a couple weeks back :'(

Reactions: Hellow and lahn

Multiplexer

Efficiency Noob
Mar 28, 2019
V5, 3M riser, no USB so we don't need to worry about USB version and connectors. Take my money now!

USB on case is uncessary since many monitor have plenty.

SoulTribunal

Caliper Novice
May 19, 2019
V5, 3M riser, no USB so we don't need to worry about USB version and connectors. Take my money now!

USB on case is uncessary since many monitor have plenty.

I can get around the issue with a usb dock but I'd still like a USB port on the front. Probably the V4 should have kept the type A connector that the V3 had as it offered the most compatibility. The only good reason I see to remove the Front USB would be for easier internal management and perhaps cost.

Wonder how swapping the USB with a front HD audio port would work?

Titeywitey

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
It really is a tradeoff on your end.

option 1: You keep the ADT riser, you keep the $199 pricetag, you start to advertise the pcie 4.0 -> 3.0 BIOS workaround for specific video cards + motherboard combinations on your FAQ page.

option 2: You move to the 3M riser, you have to break past the $200 milestone, and you can advertise that you are completely and totally out-of-the-box compatible with all motherboard + gpu combinations (that physically fit inside the case).

Sure, you can try to convince someone that the BIOS workaround isn't that big of a deal, and you aren't wrong, but it still creates negative optics. Breaking past the $200 mark is also a negative optic. I would personally be fine with paying the extra $20 so that I never have to think about the potential compatibility issue (similar to why I went for a x570 instead of a b450), but I have no idea how the SFF market in general would feel about it. Ghosts flew off the shelves despite their $50 price premium over your case, and despite their horrible fulfillment related optics, so maybe you don't need to worry about a $20 increase for an upgrade to the package?

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017

IMO I think the price increase is fine to include a higher quality riser. But you will need to be able to guarantee near 100% compatibility with pcie 4.0 performance with the riser to justify the increase.

lahn

Case Bender
Jul 10, 2019
I also think the price increase is worth it to avoid any potential issues people might get in the future. I think most people will upgrade their hardware before they switch to another case?

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexTSG

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
For everybody interested in the temperatures and OC potential with the RYZEN 3600 and 3700X inside the DAN A4-SFX with Asetek 645LT...
I'm sorry for the german but all the numbers are inside the video! :D Maybe it's helpful for some of you! :)

RYZEN 3600 Stock and all-core @4.1GHz tested:

RYZEN 3700X Stock and all-core @4.1GHz @4.2GHz @4.3GHz tested:

Pappas

Cable Smoosher
Jul 3, 2019
For everybody interested in the temperatures and OC potential with the RYZEN 3600 and 3700X inside the DAN A4-SFX with Asetek 645LT...
I'm sorry for the german but all the numbers are inside the video! :D Maybe it's helpful for some of you! :)

RYZEN 3600 Stock and all-core @4.1GHz tested:

RYZEN 3700X Stock and all-core @4.1GHz @4.2GHz @4.3GHz tested:

Could you potentially summarize the findings in english? The temperatures, settings, and clock speeds would be great.