DAN A4-SFX v4.1

RicardoSFF

Caliper Novice
Oct 27, 2018
You're probably right prime95 is causing it to thermal throttle, but honestly I don't mind cause it maintains its clocks at 4.7 ghz no problem during gaming which is mainly what it's for. I have a 9700k on order and may move the 9900k to my midtower build, maybe that'll run slightly cooler.

Not sure if the black ridge will fit, what should I measure? Even the cryorig C7 CU was quite a tight squeeze, barely fit and presses against my ram. Definitely an interesting proposition with having the 120 mm fan with the side panel off, maybe something I'll consider doing once I get the black ridge. I did notice it was running cooler with the side panel off.

Not planning on delidding it as I'm quite happy with the performance currently. If I had gotten the 8700k I would have delidded but with the soldered TIM I don't think its worth it and it's a higher risk to delid. I'll see how the AIO 92mm does once I get my custom cables.

That's a smart move, the 9900k is a really hot CPU and if you can move it to a bigger case with better cooling do it, you'll get a lot more from that CPU like that. We were all expecting Intel to solder the CPUs to be better than liquid metal but I guess not... But I would suggest to hold your purchase on the 9700k and see how the Black Ridge performs (with the setup I suggested and if it fits with the z390-I) to save money.

The Black Ridge is 140mm x 120mm x 47mm, and from I can see they suggest to mount the cooler with the heat pipes (the 180-degree turn) facing up, over the VRM, so there should be no clearance problems here.
Width is the problem here, it's 120mm and looking at the picture and if my math is correct, the area over the ram should be around 20mm which is also not a problem. The area on the opposite side should be 8mm from the end of the fan to the motherboard I/O cover. The fan seems to be centered above the heat plate of the cooler, so, center a 92mm fan and measure the space between the fan and the I/O cover. Take this information with a grain of salt since I don't actually have the official specs and I don't have the cooler to measure it, but measure it anyway if you can.

And take a look at these:
https://www.alpenfoehn.de/images/Produkte/Datenblaetter/BlackRidge/Datenblatt_BlackRidge_EN.pdf~
https://www.alpenfoehn.de/images/Produkte/Abmessungen/BlackRidge/Dimension_BlackRidge.pdf
https://www.alpenfoehn.de/images/Pr...en/BlackRidge/ManualBlackRidge_17_10_2018.pdf

And yeah, I'm actually considering getting an 8600k and delid it instead of the 9600k, the only problem is that I wanted to keep the warranty and have the Meltdown and Spectre speed down fixes (If they even exist... They're just a rumor and I can't find anyone who can confirm it).

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Cooling a 9900k in the case is not an easy task!

If you let the CPU run with an an TDP of 95W it will be easy but in default mode it will run with 200W and you need a very big heatsinks or water cooling solution. So setup "max long power duration" = 95 in UEFI/Bios and have fun with a cool CPU.

Reactions: fabio and D90

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Reminder: Intel's TDP is officially at STOCK clocks. Restricting the power to 95W may reduce the available top end frequency under load, but will make it run cooler...

RicardoSFF

Caliper Novice
Oct 27, 2018
If you let the CPU run with an an TDP of 95W it will be easy but in default mode it will run with 200W and you need a very big heatsinks or water cooling solution. So setup "max long power duration" = 95 in UEFI/Bios and have fun with a cool CPU.
I am aware of that and it's definitely a possibility but buying a 9900k for £600 to restricting the power to 95W is not worth the price... It would be a much better option to buy a 8700k a delid it (If voiding warranty is not an issue). It's nothing agaisnt Dan cases, in fact, I haven't been this excited for a case in a long time and I will build my next system in one, the problem here is Intel... But we asked for solder, now we can't complain that we have it...

Do you have any information if the black ridge will fit the z390-I?

RicardoSFF

Caliper Novice
Oct 27, 2018
Can you buy the 120mm cpu cooler mount from the v3 to put onto the v2?

If you mean the Black Ridge than it should, I see no reason why not, both case versions have the same dimensions but wait for its release and some reviews since we don't even know if it will fit the Asus Strix z390-I motherboard

ihenryi

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 30, 2018
If you mean the Black Ridge than it should, I see no reason why not, both case versions have the same dimensions but wait for its release and some reviews since we don't even know if it will fit the Asus Strix z390-I motherboard
I was meaning the aio mount for the 120mm aio coolers in the v3? I'm using a gigabyte 1070 mini and would like to mount a corsair h55 or h66. Maybe I can just do that with zip ties?

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I'm happy with the 9900k at stock TDP to be honest. I can reach and all core 4700 mhz which is advertised speeds. My games run smoothly. Overclocking just isn't worth it in general especially in such a small case. Double the wattage, increased vcore and cause crazy heat all for minimal performance gains. With my ryzen 2700x I could barely hit 4000 to 4100, runs cool at stock 3.7 ghz but just felt slow.

Reactions: fabio

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
If any DanCase owners are on OCAU, live in Australia and are looking for an Asetek 545LC, I am selling my one, as I want to get the Black Ridge. It has never actually been used.

RicardoSFF

Caliper Novice
Oct 27, 2018
I'm happy with the 9900k at stock TDP to be honest. I can reach and all core 4700 mhz which is advertised speeds. My games run smoothly. Overclocking just isn't worth it in general especially in such a small case. Double the wattage, increased vcore and cause crazy heat all for minimal performance gains. With my ryzen 2700x I could barely hit 4000 to 4100, runs cool at stock 3.7 ghz but just felt slow.

Well, don't take me wrong, if money isn't an issue and temps aren't going crazy, the 9900k at stock is still the best option to buy and I do plan on buying a 9900k for the A4-SFX V3 in the future, but I'm considering delidding it, even tho it's risky. What temps do you get with Prime95 with the 9900k at stock? And are you using the 92mm AIO?

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I think the 9700k is the sweet spot basically cost the same as a delidded 8700k. I do have the asetek cooler but I haven’t tried it because I need custom cables and lpx ram. Please see my prime temps in my previous post with the 9900k running a cryorig c7 cu with a noctua fan.

RicardoSFF

Caliper Novice
Oct 27, 2018
I think the 9700k is the sweet spot basically cost the same as a delidded 8700k. I do have the asetek cooler but I haven’t tried it because I need custom cables and lpx ram. Please see my prime temps in my previous post with the 9900k running a cryorig c7 cu with a noctua fan.

Urgh... Yeah, I already saw the prime95 temps previously, it was actually me who asked for them! I'm sorry, my bad!

Did you end up measuring the Z390-I to see if the black ridge would fit?

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Think I'm just going to wait for the black ridge to arrive. I just ordered 32 gig of corsair LPX ram and PSlate custom cables so I can hopefully do some testing with the Asetek shortly.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
If any DanCase owners are on OCAU, live in Australia and are looking for an Asetek 545LC, I am selling my one, as I want to get the Black Ridge. It has never actually been used.
You could put a notice in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum to try and get more traction. Please note the rules for doing so in advance, however.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
You could put a notice in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum to try and get more traction. Please note the rules for doing so in advance, however.
Already sold on OCAU... got snapped up quick. Have ordered my Black Ridge now :D

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Tazpr: Sry no

@All:

What I pray in many threads currently is how to deal with Intels TDP because many customers are not happy with their CPU temps.
I recommend to setup "Max Long Power Duration" = 95W or lower in UEFI/Bios. This will let your CPU run in Intel specs and it will be so much cooler. I tested it with an 8700k and an L9i. Here are some results (Prime95 8k):

Auto (125W) = 100+°C /6x 4,3Ghz
95W = 91°C /6x 3,9-4,0Ghz
80W = 80°C /6x 3,7-3,8Ghz
65W = 72°C /6x 3,5-3,6Ghz

100W + undervolt = 87°C / 6x 4,1 -4,2Ghz.

I know you are losing some MHZ IF ALL CORES ARE IN USE but the performance loss is very low (~8% depending on TDP value). Keep in mind these values are for Prime95 in games the temp will be 10°C lower. So with the Alpen Ridge and a 120mm bottom fan you can expect the following temps:

CPU @ TDP 100W + undervolted -0,1V = 6x 4,1 -4,2Ghz.:
Prime95 ~ 78-82°C
Games ~ 68-72°C

If you follow this guide for the 9900k I think it will be also possible to have good temps on this CPU.

UPDATE: On Computerbase.de I found an information about the performance loss on 9900K TDP no limit VS TDP 95W limit. The avarage perfromance loss is 1,2% in games for FPS and 2,9% for frametimes. In applications the avarage performance loss is 8%.

Last edited:

krinkle

Cable Smoosher
Sep 17, 2018
Upon further conversations with EVGA, they say the 1080 ti sc2 is the same width as the basic 2070’s so I’m gonna wing it and order. We’ll see what happens!

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Upon further conversations with EVGA, they say the 1080 ti sc2 is the same width as the basic 2070’s so I’m gonna wing it and order. We’ll see what happens!
which model of 2070? A4 only supports dual slot, nothing wider. So if the cooler is at all wider than 2 slot it will not fit.