DAN A4-SFX v4.1

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
@dondan

Do you think a 45 mm thick x 92 mm radiator and a 15 mm fan can fit in the A4 SFX spot with a modular PSU and cables? Or perhaps a non-modular PSU instead. I ask because getting a 92 mm AIO seems to be as difficult as catching a unicorn nowadays.

I think I've got the skills to get an Eisbaer LT Pump/CPU block combo and configure a custom loop. The only thing is that I know it was fairly close with a 30 + 15 mm 545LC already, and so whether another 15 mm will just be a guaranteed clash is what I kind of want to know.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
@dondan

Do you think a 45 mm thick x 92 mm radiator and a 15 mm fan can fit in the A4 SFX spot with a modular PSU and cables? Or perhaps a non-modular PSU instead. I ask because getting a 92 mm AIO seems to be as difficult as catching a unicorn nowadays.

I think I've got the skills to get an Eisbaer LT Pump/CPU block combo and configure a custom loop. The only thing is that I know it was fairly close with a 30 + 15 mm 545LC already, and so whether another 15 mm will just be a guaranteed clash is what I kind of want to know.
No. It will hit the bottom of the GPU.

545LC is millimeters away as it is so unfortunately the Alphacool unit will not work. It's also too long to fit in the case. I thought about doing the same thing you are trying to do, but you'll have an easier time with an ITX GPU and a 120mm rad mounted next to in IMO.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
No. It will hit the bottom of the GPU.

545LC is millimeters away as it is so unfortunately the Alphacool unit will not work. It's also too long to fit in the case. I thought about doing the same thing you are trying to do, but you'll have an easier time with an ITX GPU and a 120mm rad mounted next to in IMO.
You're right, next best alternative I can think of is a janky 92 mm thin (25 mm) aluminimum radiator and the Eisbaer LT pump/block combo. Although I don't like the idea of a mixed metal custom loop (definitely not cost effective), tube length is not an issue as I would have replaced it with hardline tubing. Too bad there aren't any 25-30 mm thick brass/copper radiators....a bit strange that nobody makes them I suppose there is no demand for them...

I like full length GPUs :p

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
You're right, next best alternative I can think of is a janky 92 mm thin (25 mm) aluminimum radiator and the Eisbaer LT pump/block combo. Although I don't like the idea of a mixed metal custom loop (definitely not cost effective), tube length is not an issue as I would have replaced it with hardline tubing. Too bad there aren't any 25-30 mm thick brass/copper radiators....a bit strange that nobody makes them I suppose there is no demand for them...

I like full length GPUs :p
Yeah never mix metals, not worth it... tbh unless you are doing CPU intensive workloads, there is little point to go beyond a 65W i5. I play games solely and an 8400 works wonders for me while staying cool under an L9i. Although I do have an Asetek 545LC I can't use due to my GPU being too long... still working on a solution lol.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Yeah never mix metals, not worth it... tbh unless you are doing CPU intensive workloads, there is little point to go beyond a 65W i5. I play games solely and an 8400 works wonders for me while staying cool under an L9i. Although I do have an Asetek 545LC I can't use due to my GPU being too long... still working on a solution lol.

Yeah, I did a 8700K + 1080 Ti in a Ncase M1 with a custom loop and still very much CPU limited, but I am also interested in downsizing the case further. Still waiting for future CPUs, but cooling will always be an eternal issue to tackle, so weighing up what are the best possible options in the A4 SFX while housing something like an FTW3 sized card.

My workload is quite CPU heavy but also requires high-end NVIDIA graphics cards (actually, ideally two graphics cards but with increasing amounts of VRAM this is becoming less of an issue).

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Does anyone know how to mount the 545LC with an EVGA 1080ti FTW3? I have seen it done several times but I don't understand how it is meant to be mounted with the default mounts. Do I need to mod the case in some way to allow them to be used together?

Mr. Monday

Cable Smoosher
Oct 3, 2018
Yeah, I did a 8700K + 1080 Ti in a Ncase M1 with a custom loop and still very much CPU limited, but I am also interested in downsizing the case further. Still waiting for future CPUs, but cooling will always be an eternal issue to tackle, so weighing up what are the best possible options in the A4 SFX while housing something like an FTW3 sized card.

My workload is quite CPU heavy but also requires high-end NVIDIA graphics cards (actually, ideally two graphics cards but with increasing amounts of VRAM this is becoming less of an issue).
Is going to a smaller case worth the amount of your life wasted because you can't use powerful enough components? Your workload should determine the components and case size imo. It seems like an Intel X and Nvidia Titan would save you time.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Is going to a smaller case worth the amount of your life wasted because you can't use powerful enough components? Your workload should determine the components and case size imo. It seems like an Intel X and Nvidia Titan would save you time.

Thanks for your suggestion, I already have powerful dual and quad GPU machines for on-site calculations. This is specifically for off-site work (and remote access is not an option) and so portability is an important factor.

The long calculations steps are so long that going to a Skylake-X ITX system + Titan V would not actually change the real life length of these jobs (i.e. an overnight calculation remains an overnight calculation - doesn't matter if a job finishes at 4 am instead of 7 am, I am not going to be awake to see it). Therefore the significant cost increase of the Titan V cannot be justified in this case. In the particular case of Skylake-X, it also negatively affects some other elements of my workflow so I can't use it anyway, but am open to future releases perhaps.

So to answer your question whether "wasting" my life by going to a smaller case is worth it or not - Yes it is. In 2018 a well designed SFF case you need to compromise very little in terms of components.

wolf30

Chassis Packer
Aug 28, 2018

I believe this is depends on your circumstances as for me i live in a rent apartment, so I might move to other place having small system like dan case I can transport it anywehere easily compare to big tower, and my task does not invlove any video rendering or any that require heavy workload thus dan is enough for me or having the need of SLI ( Although you can use it if you want to). for me a CPU with more than 3.5 ghz and 4 ghz or more the difference is negligible.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Is there any chance @dondan of future options like alternate panels with different IO or my preference, no IO at all?

I would love an option for a completely clean front panel and a rear power button, or more likely a front panel with ONLY a power switch and nothing else since I don't use front panel IO due to having a hub attached to my desk. Is there a chance custom panels may become a thing down the line?

Best I can suggest is to put a USB cover on your front panel like this (not the cheapest one listed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8YAWDQ/?tag=theminutiae-20 and maybe paint silver if you have a silver A4...

jwchen1259

What's an ITX?
Oct 2, 2018
Hello, it seems like the V3 is coming with a 120mm AIO bracket. Is there a limitation on how thick it should be? I have a spare NZXT M22 but I don't know if it's will fit as I'm still waiting for my A4.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Hello, it seems like the V3 is coming with a 120mm AIO bracket. Is there a limitation on how thick it should be? I have a spare NZXT M22 but I don't know if it's will fit as I'm still waiting for my A4.
Since it fits where the GPU goes it would be limited to 40cm with a PSU and 50cm with a long GPU and a Nano PSU.
A standard radiator and slim 15mm Noctua fan with an ITX GPU would fit.

DarkCanuck

Average Stuffer
Jun 28, 2018
Hi there SFF forum! This is my first SFF build.
Here are the specs for my machine:
- ASUS P8Z77-I ITX MB
- i7 3770K CPU
- CRYORIG C7 cooler
- 16gb Kingston HiperX Beast KHX24C11T3K2/16 2X8gb
- Thermaltake Toughpower SFX STP-0600F-G
- EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti KINGPIN EDITION
- SSD Plextor M7V 512Gb + HDD 1Tb
- Case fan Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM
-DAN A4-SFX V3
First I want to say thanks to @dondan for exelent work all ower DAN A4 case. I realy love how all hardware be in it!

So I did simple mode with 2,5'' hdd drive buy.
I use it with single hdd drive on top and did combine it ower Noctua NF-A9x14. It perfectly cooling case and Hdd simultaneously.
BUT It require longer screws.
Your images are not displaying; I'm very curious how your setup looks. I have the same Mother board and CPU in my current setup, and I would like to see how those components look inside of the DAN A4.

doP

Chassis Packer
Jan 28, 2018
My build :D

i7 8700
noctua l9i (will be replaced with Cryorig C7 Cu tomorow)
gigabyte z370n wifi
16 gb corsair vengeance 2400mhz
gtx 1080 gigabyte mini
FSP Dagger 80+ 600w
2 x asus rog RGB 5050

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
I just ordered my first Dan case! Excited.

Is anyone still selling window side panels? I'm looking into the ones that aren't from Dan (the ones with the letters) but more of a custom-design one.