DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Tru

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 3, 2018
Hello, I wanted to ask if anyone has done any custom water cooling in the Dan A4 SFX case? I'm sure it would be a tight and difficult task to manage but utilizing a pico psu and a mini graphics card could potentially yield one 'the entire' area where the sfx power supply would sit. Curious as to doing this myself, possibly with a slim 120mm EK radiator stood up, and the smallest EK pump/res right behind it.

Freekers

Case Bender
Oct 1, 2018
Any cool pics of builds?

Just browse this topic..... or: https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_hof.html

I am not sure whats your plan of water cooled the vga, I don't think It is possible to water cooled it.So im curious whats your plan on doing it

With that GPU block I linked, there is space for a 120mm rad next to the GPU on the GPU side. I could hang the pump on the side panel with tirewraps (on the inside) above the CPU block and fit the reservoir under the PSU.

Hello, I wanted to ask if anyone has done any custom water cooling in the Dan A4 SFX case? I'm sure it would be a tight and difficult task to manage but utilizing a pico psu and a mini graphics card could potentially yield one 'the entire' area where the sfx power supply would sit. Curious as to doing this myself, possibly with a slim 120mm EK radiator stood up, and the smallest EK pump/res right behind it.

I'm in the process of trying to do the same as you. I found this rad: https://www.xs-pc.com/radiators-tx-series/tx120-ultrathin-radiator which is just 20mm thick so I can fit a Noctua Industrual on top of it.

The issue is that a pico PSU requires an external power brick, which I don't want, plus it only goes up to like 200 watts.

What are you thoughts?

Tru

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 3, 2018
Just browse this topic..... or: https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_hof.html

With that GPU block I linked, there is space for a 120mm rad next to the GPU on the GPU side. I could hang the pump on the side panel with tirewraps (on the inside) above the CPU block and fit the reservoir under the PSU.

I'm in the process of trying to do the same as you. I found this rad: https://www.xs-pc.com/radiators-tx-series/tx120-ultrathin-radiator which is just 20mm thick so I can fit a Noctua Industrual on top of it.

The issue is that a pico PSU requires an external power brick, which I don't want, plus it only goes up to like 200 watts.

What are you thoughts?
That radiator seem like a great contender for this case, I am not too familiar with XS myself.

As far as the pico PSU there are various that I have come across myself, I feel like a pico PSU is a must for a custom water cooled in this case because of the potential space savings. One issue is that I don't own this case and it is difficult to judge how much space there actually is.

Of course it ultimately comes down to your build and your power needs, some people can do just fine with 200 watts but I presume that your not one of those people. I recently picked up a 400 watt pico psu from HDPLEX, I intended to pick up the 160 watt one but they were unavailable. I've been very happy with it and running it with a spare laptop charger that I had. This is of course powering my low powered server.

Some other thoughts are that on my primary rig I have a I5 7600K and a RX480 overclocked as far as I could take them, when measuring the power consumption at the wall at idle i pull around 90 watts, under a heavy gaming load I pull an average of 300 watts with momentary peaks at times near 350 watts. I have not tried my 400 watt psu with this rig but it should be just enough to handle it, apparently the psu has some head room above its advertised 400 watt rating as well. Another thing to note is that you are also limited by the wattage of your power brick so picking up a quality brick is also key!

It looks like my psu could potentially fit under neath the graphics card area and adding some custom built, custom length cables would be a great idea to match

BeachBanjo

Efficiency Noob
Sep 29, 2018
Anybody using RTX 2080s in their Dan case? I'm thinking about getting one (same price as 1080ti), but want to know which card will have the best thermals in the dan case, Gigabyte 2080 Windforce OC or EVGA XC Gaming, or even a blower style.

Tru

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 3, 2018
Anybody using RTX 2080s in their Dan case? I'm thinking about getting one (same price as 1080ti), but want to know which card will have the best thermals in the dan case, Gigabyte 2080 Windforce OC or EVGA XC Gaming, or even a blower style.
The EVGA is a bit of a smaller card which may allow for better air flow with less cramping, blowers are always good to keep the GPU's heat out of the case too but they're noisy.

bookdaren

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 5, 2018
https://www.sfflab.com/products/dan_a4-sfx

Currently the A4 v3 is only available without the riser cable. I emailed sfflab and they said the A4 will not be available to ship with the riser cable until the first week of November. Where can I purchase the riser cable separately?

I have exactly the same question. One thing I realize is that the official pcie riser has 2 screw holes to fix it to the case. But there is no specification about the dimension of the screw holes.

Any update from your side ?

bookdaren

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 5, 2018
Here are the first pictures of the new riser cables for the A4-SFX v3.
The cables are using Twin-Axial shielding and are able to handle PCIe 16x Gen3 without any problems.

I tested the cables in a long torture test 168 hours in Futuremark on a GTX 1070 and on a GTX 1050 (only powering through riser) without any problems.

May I know the dimension of the 2 screw holes ? Currently, the case comes without the official pcie riser so I'm thinking about but the riser on amazon.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
The riser cable is included with the case, so no additional purchase is necessary. The riser cable is being sold separately for people who either damaged/lost theirs, or for people who purchased the A4-SFX v1 or v2, but would prefer the black riser cable that comes with the v3.

Although why anybody running a single PCIe card would part with a (figuratively) bulletproof and expensive 3M riser is absolutely beyond my ability to comprehend.

wolf30

Chassis Packer
Aug 28, 2018
asetek 545lc is discontinued for good :( what a bummer luckily im not planning any build till next year even though i still have dan case v2 on my hands, hopefully something else comes up. if not i might just go with i5 8600

Sergei Koynov

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 13, 2018
Hi there SFF forum! This is my first SFF build.
Here are the specs for my machine:
- ASUS P8Z77-I ITX MB
- i7 3770K CPU
- CRYORIG C7 cooler
- 16gb Kingston HiperX Beast KHX24C11T3K2/16 2X8gb
- Thermaltake Toughpower SFX STP-0600F-G
- EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti KINGPIN EDITION
- SSD Plextor M7V 512Gb + HDD 1Tb
- Case fan Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM
-DAN A4-SFX V3
First I want to say thanks to @dondan for exelent work all ower DAN A4 case. I realy love how all hardware be in it! https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzundwqaz3ajkm1/S7000238.JPG?dl=0
So I did simple mode with 2,5'' hdd drive buy. https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxogpn1z5rsj5na/S01.jpg?dl=0 I use it with single hdd drive on top and did combine it ower Noctua NF-A9x14. It perfectly cooling case and Hdd simultaneously. BUT It require longer screws.https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlet1kshah9xbwq/S7000227.JPG?dl=0

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkCanuck

Sergei Koynov

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 13, 2018
Although i did change position of raiser cable. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujagirq348yzd1e/S02.jpg?dl=0
Cooler`s back plale with nuts can easy damage riser cable. I did remove plastic film and put riser cable under graphics card insted MB. There is more space. Graphics card have own back plate so there will be no any short circuit .
There is litle disappointment about USB cable ..... it should be longer. Cable management is most dificult part of building. So in space betwine power suplie and MB there is too much cables. The best way to manage usb cable is the way all ower cornes
.https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6qdp244jpx8arz/S7000234.JPG?dl=0

Last edited:

Youngtg

Efficiency Noob
May 31, 2018
I’m looking to sell my a4-sfx v3 (black with a riser) for what I initially paid for including the shipping. Trying to sell it locally so if there is anyone in IL,USA interested, let me know. It’s brand new never used

Last edited:

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
asetek 545lc is discontinued for good :( what a bummer luckily im not planning any build till next year even though i still have dan case v2 on my hands, hopefully something else comes up. if not i might just go with i5 8600
I guess I'm lucky to get mine on time :eek:
Maybe a new one?

dix_xib

Chassis Packer
Jun 19, 2018
I guess I'm lucky to get mine on time :eek:
Maybe a new one?

It´s not a replacement, but if you like the look (engine outside of the hood) then you can buy a Masterliquid Maker 92. I have one installed in my build now. Check profile if you are interested.

totallynoob

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2018
Does anyone know where to buy or know of a solution to mount a window kit to the case?

I had one custom cut, but not too sure of the best way to mount it on.

Any information is appreciated!

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Does anyone know where to buy or know of a solution to mount a window kit to the case?

I had one custom cut, but not too sure of the best way to mount it on.

Any information is appreciated!
Could you modify the original panels and attach some standoffs?

If you have the right equipment you could cut the default panels then screw through some standoffs (similar to the retail window kit)

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Is there any chance @dondan of future options like alternate panels with different IO or my preference, no IO at all?

I would love an option for a completely clean front panel and a rear power button, or more likely a front panel with ONLY a power switch and nothing else since I don't use front panel IO due to having a hub attached to my desk. Is there a chance custom panels may become a thing down the line?