Stalled Custom_MOD MINI

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I've got two of those with black PCBs, I'll post here if they fit once I get my batch 2 case in. :)
Id say it'll fit. My gunique has a sata power on it even though I didn't ask for one >> buttttt I figure I'll grab one myself and make use of it eventually since I have the power option for it anyways lol. Might as well make use of the extra cable I suppose

Reactions: Acalanata

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
So, orders for batch 5 are closed and the cases sold out! Very exciting! Also, I notice the price seems to have dropped by $20 for the latest revision?

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
We were discussing a little in the Zotac 1080 Ti Mini thread about possible cases designed around the card. I think if you extend this case to be 220mm in length (and you keep the other 2 dimensions the same), you can support the 1080 Ti Mini and HDPlex on the motherboard side, and the case would be just short of 4L. Could be called the CustomMOD Mini XT or Mini Ti or something like that. It would essentially be a back-to-back version of the S4 Mini. For people who want to go G-Unique though, there would be an awkward gap on the motherboard side, not sure what that could be used for. Anyway, just an idea.

Reactions: cmyk78

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Got my G-Unique Power supply today. Can't wait to put it to good use. Build quality seems good.

Skeo

Chassis Packer
Apr 3, 2017
We were discussing a little in the Zotac 1080 Ti Mini thread about possible cases designed around the card. I think if you extend this case to be 220mm in length (and you keep the other 2 dimensions the same), you can support the 1080 Ti Mini and HDPlex on the motherboard side, and the case would be just short of 4L. Could be called the CustomMOD Mini XT or Mini Ti or something like that. It would essentially be a back-to-back version of the S4 Mini. For people who want to go G-Unique though, there would be an awkward gap on the motherboard side, not sure what that could be used for. Anyway, just an idea.
This is exactly what I ordered in batch 4!

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
This is exactly what I ordered in batch 4!
Awesome!
It looks like starting with batch 2/3 that the front panel can be removed, if so I might try to make an extended front panel for mine.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Question, what's the distance between the fan of the Li9 (or any 37mm cooler) and the side panel? If the fan is right up against the panel, there can be turbulence, more noise, less airflow, etc. I'm not sure how much distance is needed for that to not be a factor, but I think at least 2 mm.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
When I asked @TheHig that question about a week ago he said:
I measure about 5mm from the fan to the inside of my panel. I have a batch one and it may have slightly different tolerances than the later revisions. So you probably have 3 mm to play with. Closer to the side panel will up the turbulence and noise many say though. You probably are aware but worth mentioning.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Nice! That USB port is kind of awkward though. Would it be possible to put a USB port(s) somewhere on the back? That may be more functional for ITX boards that don't have lots of USB ports.

Reactions: Ziths

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
If you were willing to commit to reference height GPU's I think you might be able to fit one over the PCI slots. Maybe.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
If you were willing to commit to reference height GPU's I think you might be able to fit one over the PCI slots. Maybe.
I honestly think you could fit a single sideways above the GPU even without reference height maybe. More likely on the bottom than the top I think though. Just basing off images from rev 3 though especially now with the 2 post 8 pin connector

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
I honestly think you could fit a single sideways above the GPU even without reference height maybe. More likely on the bottom than the top I think though. Just basing off images from rev 3 though especially now with the 2 post 8 pin connector
The issue is that you have to remember that you need something to attach it to the case with, which adds some size to it.
And between the PCIE slot and g-unique psu you have to remember the tabs from the PCI slots that extend past the bottom of the cutouts.
Here's a picture from @TheHig 's build with his batch #1 case that gives you an idea of what I mean.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
You can't fit it anywhere on the GPU side. The only place where it could potentially fit is above the motherboard if you make the power button smaller and move it over a little.

I liked the old minimalist black power button, this big silver one doesn't quite fit in with the aesthetic I don't think.

Michael

Average Stuffer
Jan 3, 2016
Looks great!

However, is it possible to get a smaller/smoother grain size for the powder coating?
I agree I ordered one and would like a smaller smoother grain. I believe you even have pictures with a more visually appealing grain.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
I checked the mail today after work and found a sorry we missed you notice, argh!

Re: rough powdercoat
These might be personal samples of the case sergii did for himself, normal powder coating is smooth and glossy like the batch 1 cases.