Stalled Compact 24L water cooling oriented ATX case

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Or unless I am misunderstanding... (missing from illustration: PSU mounting bracket)

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Or unless I am misunderstanding... (missing from illustration: PSU mounting bracket)

I believe it is stated in the thread that if one uses a top or front mounted PSU (no matter the size; SFX, SFX-L, or the non-supported ATX), there are compromises in radiator size...

That is why there is the option for a SFX or SFX-L PSU to be mounted over the MB, freeing up all front & top space for full-length radiators...

And realistically, who is going to feed hot air from the radiator thru the PSU..?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Ah, I forgot the case was inverted and said bottom 240mm. What I was talking about was switching just the positions of the ATX PSU and 120mm rad here:

Though now that I look, even with the rad pushed as far back as the frame allows an ATX PSU wouldn't clear the 240mm without increasing the depth of the case.

Reactions: Biowarejak

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If the front IO design didn't change, the depth would have to increase about 60-70mm to fit a 360mm rad.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, currently there's only about 360mm in total front-to-back, so neither 360 rads (~420mm long) nor 240 rad + ATX PSU (~275+86mm) will fit.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Style #2 is a design / brand pigeonhole. I don't think it makes sense for this new layout to be similar to the M1 unless function demands it .

To keep the series separate, I think style #1 is the better choice.

Disclaimer: I prefer and therefore partial to the rounded corners on style #1, and I don't want to make same looking case, it feel like we are not moving forward.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Well I like the trapezoid edge front panel on style two and rev3 steambox.

Something round like style one can definitely work but it is missing that I-dunno-what that the trapezoid edges have that put them far far ahead in my book

Reactions: darksidecookie

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Disclaimer: I prefer and therefore partial to the rounded corners on style #1, and I don't want to make same looking case, it feel like we are not moving forward.
Purposefully designing something completely different from your first product also seems like not moving forward. You'd only want a different design if the different design is better, not just because it's different.
I personally dislike the rounded corner model. Project Sidearm and the 7L concept are amazing though in my opinion.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I love this concept, already given it a lot of praise and thoughts/questions on [H] :) But I had one question related to a comment Necere made here:

We're going to try to do steel for the chassis, actually. But this is far from final, and will probably see several revisions. You should have seen how many revisions the bottom vent pattern on the M1 went through...

Steel? Why? To keep costs down? It will be much heavier and brushed aluminum is hard to beat looks-wise.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Steel? Why? To keep costs down? It will be much heavier and brushed aluminum is hard to beat looks-wise.

I believe Necere is referring to the inner chassis, the exterior panels (excepting the back, which is part of the inner chassis) should be aluminium...?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Marketing Guy: also because of the use of thinner gauge steel, it can truely capture the SFF spirit with increased efficiency !

Probably also general strength I'd think and it's also easier/cheaper to laser, so a strong and flexible (buildwise) case with a reasonable price.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015

I believe Necere is referring to the inner chassis, the exterior panels (excepting the back, which is part of the inner chassis) should be aluminium...?

Steel is stronger, so you can use thinner gauges. It's cheaper. But knowing the NCASE crew, the main reason is probably for compatibility with magnetic dust filters.
Magnetic filters is one reason, but also a lower likelihood of stripped threads. And yeah, chassis only. Outer panels would still be aluminum.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Here are a couple alternative configurations for people who want to water cool but don't want the PSU blocking the motherboard.

Both would replace one of the 120mm rad sections with a 92mm rad at the rear. The first one is limited to regular SFX only, while the second allows for SFX-L, at the cost of only being able to use a microATX motherboard.

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016

Both would replace one of the 120mm rad sections with a 92mm rad at the rear. The first one is limited to regular SFX only, while the second allows for SFX-L, at the cost of only being able to use a microATX motherboard.
would it be possible to keep the atx form factor and sfx-l if you where to flip the front rad so the ports are on top, and chose the top rad with ports like below so you could put them both in parallel?

just an idea, might not be possible tho