Stalled Compact 24L water cooling oriented ATX case

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I have that exact case, don't expect the PCIe extender to work. Mine didn't and I've seen other reports online of it also not working (stably). In the end I choose to cut my case's rear open so I can just use two GPUs normally without the extender, but I had to remove the PCIe brackets to fit. If I transition back to mITX I'm going to try and make it into a reference card supporting case.
I can't seem to find much information about the Core G3, but I did come across the poor quality of the extender (and your original post about the case here on SFF) The width of the case is what really interests me.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Nothing like a good cross forum posting...! ;^p

With ThreadRipper upon us, I have gone through this thread again...

I now envision a two part Ncase chassis scheme...

Chassis one - the Ncase "Original Gangster" M1 - DCC Workstation

ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac AM4 motherboard
Ryzen R7 1700 CPU
32GB G.Skill TridentZ Series DDR4 RAM (2 @ 16GB DIMMs / 3200 / CL14)
1TB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD
RX Vega 64 GPU
600 watt Corsair SF600 SFX PSU
Custom full EKWB water cooling loop for CPU & GPU
- Supremacy EVO CPU water block (Acetal+Nickel)
- FC Radeon Vega full-cover water block (Acetal+Nickel)
- CoolStream 240 PE radiator (38mm thick)
- DDC PWM pump (stock barbed top)
- ZMT tubing (matte black / 10mm ID x 16mm OD)
- barb fittings (black)
- 90° fittings (black)
- tube clamps (black)
- Two (2) Vardar 120ER fans (black / 120mm x 25mm)
FrozenQ reservoir

Chassis two - the Ncase "New Hotness " ATX chassis (when available) - DCC Render Box

ASUS RoG Zenith Extreme ATX TR4 motherboard (or mATX if anyone makes a quality TR4 version)
Ryzen Thread Ripper 1950X CPU
128GB G.Skill TridentZ Series DDR4 RAM (8 @ 16GB DIMMs / 3200 / CL14)
Three (3) 1TB Samsung 950 EVO M.2 NVMe SSDs
RX Vega 64 GPU
800 watt Silverstone SX800-LTI SFX-L PSU (mounted in bottom of chassis, over motherboard / CPU)
Custom full EKWB water cooling loop for CPU & GPU
- FB ASUS Zenith Extreme monoblock (Nickel)
- FC Radeon Vega full-cover water block (Acetal+Nickel)
- Two (2) CoolStream 240 PE radiators (38mm thick)
- XRES 100 Revo D5 PWM pump / reservoir combo (mounted horizontally from top radiator / between top radiator & GPU)
- ZMT tubing (matte black / 10mm ID x 16mm OD)
- barb fittings (black)
- 90° fittings (black)
- tube clamps (black)
- Four (4) Vardar 120ER fans (black / 120mm x 25mm)

The M1 Workstation would be upgraded with a Ryzen 2 CPU & Navi GPU (when these come available; GPU fitted with full-cover water block); at that point the RX Vega 64 would come out of the initial M1 Workstation build & go into the Render Box build...

And those are my mad ramblings about that...

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Ncase M1 = Little Ryzen

Ncase ATX = Big Ryzen

Nothing against the Cerberus & Cerberus-X cases, but I really like the Ncase ATX so far, & I like the idea of having similar cases for the two different functions (workstation & render box)...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@Necere

Might we get a comparison shot between the Ncase M1 chassis & the "As Yet Unnamed" Ncase ATX chassis; just the two cases, the M1 serving as a sense of scale reference (meaning, no soda can or banana or whatnot), and possibly so we see the front. left, & top sides of the cases, 3/4 view...?

Thanks...!

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
@Necere

Might we get a comparison shot between the Ncase M1 chassis & the "As Yet Unnamed" Ncase ATX chassis; just the two cases, the M1 serving as a sense of scale reference (meaning, no soda can or banana or whatnot), and possibly so we see the front. left, & top sides of the cases, 3/4 view...?

Thanks...!
Yeah, I can do that at some point.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Comparison with the M1, as requested:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Comparison with the M1, as requested:

Wow...! Those look great together...! Thanks...!

Is it just the render, or is the top of the ATX Project (is there a working name for this chassis yet...?) black & the sides a gunmetal...?

I have been thinking of getting an extra top panel when I order up an M1 here soon; silver M1 with black non-ODD top, trying to envision the way that would look...

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Is it just the render, or is the top of the ATX Project (is there a woking name for this chassis yet...?) black & the sides a gunmetal...?

I have been thinking of getting an extra top panel when I order up an M1 here soon; silver M1 with black non-ODD top, trying to envision the way that would look...
The top is black, yeah.

I've seen someone do that on the M1 before, but IMO it's not the most amazing look. I think it would work better if the actual finish type were changed up as well, rather than just being the same brushed/anodize. I'm envisioning more of a matte, paint or powdercoat finish for the top, and a shinier or satin anodized finish for the front/sides.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
The top is black, yeah.

I've seen someone do that on the M1 before, but IMO it's not the most amazing look. I think it would work better if the actual finish type were changed up as well, rather than just being the same brushed/anodize. I'm envisioning more of a matte, paint or powdercoat finish for the top, and a shinier or satin anodized finish for the front/sides.

Good to know, just saved me 18 bucks + shipping...! ;^p

Yeah, I could see a matte black (fine grain powdercoat...?) top panel & sandblasted silver side & front panels...!

Definitely keep the contrasting black top in for the ATX Project (why does this thing not have a name yet...!?!) it is pretty sexy...

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Definitely keep the contrasting black top in for the ATX Project (why does this thing not have a name yet...!?!) it is pretty sexy...
Internally w360 and I just refer to it as "ATX," so we haven't really needed another name. As it's a continuation of the M-line stylistically, I'm leaning towards "M5." Why M5 and not M2 or M3? Bit of a silly reason: we use M2, M3, and M4 metric thread screws, and I don't want to be in the situation where we have misunderstandings if someone asks for "the M3 screws."

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Internally w360 and I just refer to it as "ATX," so we haven't really needed another name. As it's a continuation of the M-line stylistically, I'm leaning towards "M5." Why M5 and not M2 or M3? Bit of a silly reason: we use M2, M3, and M4 metric thread screws, and I don't want to be in the situation where we have misunderstandings if someone asks for "the M3 screws."

The NCASE M5...!

I like it...!

Thoughts towards ThreadRipper & SFX-L PSU in this chassis...

All of the X399 motherboards I look at have either dual 8-pin EPS connections or single 8-pin + single 4-pin EPS connections, but the 800w Silverstone SFX-L PSU only has the single 8-pin EPS connector available...

That aside, one would only be able to run a single Vega GPU in a ThreadRipper / Vega combo build, as the 800w SFX-L PSU could not really support two 350w (ish) each GPUs & a 180w ThreadRipper CPU... And those power draws would be before any overclocking...

Changing gears, water cooling... Thinking ThreadRipper CPU & single Vega GPU (FE or WX9100) with dual 240mm radiators...

Thoughts towards FrozenQ-esque reservoir that mounts where remaining empty PCI slots are...? Have the lowest two PCI slots (not including the one that the GPU is in / Vega GPU with EKWB water block would be single slot) without the 'stringer' between them to allow pass-thru for the G1/4 fittings...

This would get the reservoir up high for better filling / bleeding of loop...

Last edited:

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2017
Empty PCI-e slots? Why would you build ATX if you were going to have empty PCI-e slots? =)

Mine are all filled.

1 and 2 are used by the GPU
3 is my 10Gig-e card
4 is a pci-e SSD
5 is another pci-e SSD...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Empty PCI-e slots? Why would you build ATX if you were going to have empty PCI-e slots? =)

Mine are all filled.

1 and 2 are used by the GPU
3 is my 10Gig-e card
4 is a pci-e SSD
5 is another pci-e SSD...

You obviously did not read all of my recent posting above, outlining the limitations of current SFX-L PSUs in regards to ThreadRipper / Vega builds...

Most recent ATX motherboards have 2 or 3 M.2 slots, so no need for PCIe SSDs...

And the vast majority of ATX motherboard users really do not have more than one GPU installed, two at most (SLI or CrossFireX), with the remaining PCIe slots sitting empty...

And, by design, the chassis, if used for water cooling with a 240mm radiator up top, precludes the use of the last few slots on the motherboard...

For me, for this chassis, for my projected usage, putting an (optional) external reservoir over unused PCIe slots makes total sense...